Cheyenne, WY 7 Unit Apartment Complex

Cheyenne, WY 7 Unit Apartment Complex

Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes

On December 2, I closed on a 7 unit apartment building. When I made the offer, I saw a lot of things, but the two most common were disaster and potential. Due to the size of the place, the insane income numbers, and the way that the first 6 days of ownership have gone, I figure i'd do a deal diary. I'm hoping to update this every 3 months or so.

This was an on-market deal that I found, owned by a guy who had inherited it from his father in law. He was absolutely done, and did not want anything else to do with the property. It is in rough shape, and comes with the types of tenants that will put up with the extremely poor condition that the  property was in. However, the income numbers were good, the location was good, and it's got a huge upside. I decided to go for it. Time will tell if I'm a fool or a genius.

Deal Stats

Purchase  Price: 160,000

Down Payment: 40,000

Gross rents (when full) 3,040

I closed late in the afternoon friday, dec 2 and decided to pick up the serious work of finding a property manager and dealing with the utilities on Monday.

Monday began with calls to the utilities, informing me that the seller was paying ALL utilities (they told me that I'd be paying water/sewer/trash and electric only for all units). In addition, the kind folks at the water department told me the building used 60,000 gallons of water last month, which was exceptionally high compared to its average use of 40,000 gallons. I grew up here in the Western US, and not only is that devouring my margins, there's not a lot of water here to waste and that's practically criminal. I dont know how many gallons per month an efficient 7 unit would use, but I can assure you I'll come close to finding out during this turn. After getting all the utilities in order, I started calling property managers. I called between 15 and 20, and many took a day or two to call me back (tossed, unresponsive) a few said they'd go drive by, and called back after and said they were not interested due to the condition. There was one willing to work on it, and this group has a broker with a background in house flipping. I set up a meeting for thursday morning for a walk through and tour of the 2 vacant units.

I met the property mangement broker, assistant and both maintenance guys, and went to let them in the first vacant unit. I knocked (I dont know why) and someone said "one minute". The tenant I believe was pretty shocked to see me, as I was him. I was under the impression that the unit was vacant. We chatted with him a bit, and he produced a lease, as well as receipt for payment for rent in december (Which I was told was not collected). He also informed me that the stove in his units (as well as 5 others in the building) were not functioning. We thanked him for his time, and went into the crows nest (the studio apartment at the very top) and looked around. They agreed to provide a bid for me for the work, and we went downstairs to check the mechanicals.

We spent a bit of time downstairs with the mechanicals, and discussed the strategy that I had laid out to widen the spread between income and expenses on this property, as well as a "Please do this asap" list I had prepared. Here's what was on it:

  1. Collect December rents
  2. New leases for all tenants - month to month - (except the new one, who is on a 3 month lease), that has the tenants paying the Gas portion of the utility bill for their unit.
  3. Replace a few broken windows and siding as required by the insurance company
  4. Efficiency upgrades
    1. Water: Things like new toilets, faucet aerators and showerheads
    2. Lights: LEDs are about the only think I can directly impact here.
  5. Implement a RUBS for the water/sewer portion of the bill at some point in 2017

They were on board with the plan, and were happy to help and excited for the project. I went over and signed the agreement (3 years, 10% PM fee) at around 1130, dropped my daughter off at school and went to work.

Then all hell broke loose. 

I get a call from the seller - apparently he's got the rent check from the new tenant, and he'll drop it by tomorrow, but none of the other rents have been collected. The person who was living in the crows nest (seriously, so gross) who they had to have civilly committed to get out was living in one of the other units with some guy, and I should under no circumstances let her move back into the crows nest, and she will ask. I was also informed that unit 7 was now empty (this is currently pending verification) . I thank him for the time, and start working again.

A few minutes later, the gas company calls. Someone is in the mechanical room in the basement, says there's a gas leak and I need to get over there right away. I ask if he's serious as I was in there less than 3 hours prior and didnt notice anything. He says he is. I call up the property manager, tell them the situation and they send someone over to get the keys to the building and head over. I dont hear from them for a while, then an hour or so later I get a call saying I got red-tagged by the city. The property manager has an HVAC Guy already on site, and they are dealing with some sort of backdraft issue that is filling the area with carbon monoxide, and there's a gas leak somewhere. Still unsure as to how it happened and who told the utility, but that is an issue for another day. 

So, an interesting first 6 days of ownership on the 7 unit building. I did get some good news from the property manager that my estimated rents after the units were turned were low by a fair bit, which is awesome. 

Stay tuned for update 2.

15Reply
255 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry W.Pro Member
Moderator
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y

@Jeff F., I am really enjoying this thread.  Keep us posted.  Let me know if I can be of any help.  That probably sounds better than it is since I have a full time day job and about 30 rental units.  For what it is worth WY has one of the best eviction laws.  I think I average about 10 days from filing to court date and Writ of Restitution.  Total costs average about $600 to $800 per eviction including costs.  I could not help you in Cheyenne, but it may give you an idea of costs.  Legal costs may vary a lot there, so shop around if you get high quotes.  If the other side gets an attorney costs could also go up and things could get delayed.

See this reply in the discussion

131 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    Another update:

    My Updates are speeding up because I hired a different contractor. For most of this work, I was using the team that my property manager had. They were not bad, nor did they do bad work, they were just too busy handling other things and were not able to move quickly here. long followers of this thread will find a schedule I laid out (I think it's here anyway) that I wanted to have this place turned at a rate of 1 unit per month, so it would take approximately 7 months. I made that decision in late jan/early feb and had them get to work.

    As expected, "old house stuff" started happening. pluming issues, light structural stuff, as well as some mistakes by me (they were doing work in 3 different units simultaneously, instead of 1 at a time. this was fine but cost me a boatload of money and did not result in increased income from the property). 

    After way too much prodding, I called more contractors. One didnt call me back, and one called me back by the end of the day, was available to meet the next morning to talk about what I needed done. (sidenote: I get very annoyed by the contractors who wont give you the time of day/demand you name your first born after them during busy times but when the economy crashes they call you up begging you for work....I digress) 

    The guy I met with was ready to go, had some great Ideas and our styles meshed well. I told him I didnt want to babysit him but that I would be checking his work from time to time. He's been great - shown up on time, works quick and has some great ideas for the 'unique' spaces that i've presented him with. This contractor will likely have a unit turned in 2 weeks, where it took 4 months for the others - though that included a lot of behind the wall stuff that needed to be done. 

    Long story short, I should have a second place ready to rent by 10/15 at the absolute latest (im expecting 10/7 or 10/10).

    For those number people that noticed I rented the first one for "way more" than I expected, I went and re-thought my BRRRR calculation over the weekend. Here is where I'm at:

    Purchase Price: 160,000

    Down Payment: 40,000

    Initial low-end ARV: 390,000

    Initial high-end ARV: 415,000

    Approx New ARV: 515,000

    Yes, a 100k increase. I think I budgeted low initially, and I also think that even at 625/mo for the one that has been rented, is low. The one with my tenants is at 625 and is a 1 br/1 ba. I have a studio almost ready that should be in the 550 range, but the next 1br (there are 5 total here) I'll advertise for 635 and keep upping by 10 until they have all been turned or they arent moving quick.

    Hoping to have another 1-br on the market around haloween - and that includes the studio that should be rented by then

    Thank you bigger pockets, this deal will likely make my business, and I couldnt have done it without all of you. Your advice has been invaluable, and I have not forgotten all the phone calls with people who have helped me and I've always been trying to pay it forward. I've met up with and talked with many aspiring investors from the site, so anyone reading this and has questions/wants to get started/whatever, PM Me and we can chat. 

    I FHA'd my first multi, and if you've got a pulse and a small saving account, you can too.

  • Investor · Independence, MO · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 70 votes
    9y
    Awesome thanks for the updates.
  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Jeff Farnsworth I hope the counter top works out for you. I am not a fan of anything that requires the tenant to do anything but make the money to pay rent. Personally I like solid surface. Formica is cheap looking and scares from knives, and hot pans. Once it's damaged you end up with lost rent while you wait for the current tenant to vacate, then you have to replace it and market for a new tenant. Better to have a durable surface so that the property can be marketed with the current tenant in place. For small kitchens like this, I have been able to find granite remnants or prefinished pieces (they require no field finishing - just cut to length and cut out a sink hole) that are very cost effective.  Granite tile with a wood edge piece is a low skill alternative as well. Not sure what your market offers though. 

    I feel your pain about the lousy contractors. 

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    @Bill S. Thanks for the suggestions. I had the same thoughts, but this was cheap (150 or so) and is in right now. I figure if it doesnt work out, i'll need to replace it in 3-4 years and will have learned my lesson. Not the worst thing. I've been putting SOOO much money into this place I just needed something to come out of it, and I could buy this off the shelf w/o waiting and put it in same day. 

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    Next up, is the studio apartment that's in the very top of the building. This is small (approx 400 sqft) and should rent for 550/575 when it's all done. A few before/ pics & progress pics. It should be finished and ready to show mid month. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2008 · 168 posts · 105 votes
    9y

    @Jeff F. Great thread and could feel your pain all the way through! Do you have a day job?? Did you sell or roll equity into new deals?

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    @Adam M. I still own it - 1 of the  7 has my tenant in there, 1 is almost done, and 3 have tenants of the old owner.

    I do have a day job

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2008 · 168 posts · 105 votes
    9y

    @Jeff F. Nice work on the day job and keeping this thing rolling! You must have some flexible hours. Are you going to cash out refi or is your end goal to rehab and sell?

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    9y

    @Adam M. Im going to cash out refi, i just need to decide if i should do it after it's mostly full of tenants (including old ones that are below market) or at the end.

  • Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    @Jeff F., Thank you so much for sharing. No doubt that if you can turn this property around you can achieve anything in your real estate business. Good for you. Please keep sharing. :)

  • Investor/Attorney · Cheyenne, WY · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Is this on 12th?

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    8y

    Hi @Kristen R. - This is not on 12th, it's over by the capital building. 

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    8y

    Oh man, So much has happened with the studio since I last posted 3 weeks ago. The unit was almost done save for the bathroom and kitchen, and at that point it was mostly done.

    I wanted to see if we could move the shower, as it was connected to a claw foot tub and attached to the side of the wall that has a ceiling height of approx 4.5 feet. A "case" was built around the tub, and when my contractor popped open the access panel it smelled awful. At some point (likely > 2 years ago) a cat had crawled in there and somehow gotten stuck, and died. And was just left there to stick to the floor.

    Thankfully I didnt have to deal with that thing.

    However, that did open up a disaster with the tub, as nothing would now fit and eventually had to pull it out, find a small (rv) size shower pan, and put in a false wall and plumb more stuff in. Even me, as a 6' tall individual the showerhead goes go about my mid chest. It's not the best, but it was the best of all available options. Unfortunately, like all things this cost more money, and was about 2k more. I'm not terribly far over budget for this unit (I think i've spent 8k and budgeted 7k) but there are a few other things I'd like to get in there soon-ish (new heater, new appliances). 

    The unit came out pretty good, and Im going to have them list it for 575 and see what happens. Here are a few pictures of the bathroom/kitchen:

  • Investor/Attorney · Cheyenne, WY · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 13 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jeff F.:

    Hi @Kristen R. - This is not on 12th, it's over by the capital building. 

     oh nice!

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    8y

    Another month, Another update:

    When we last left off the studio was almost done, and I was getting ready to rent it. 

    Surprise, it's still empty! 

    When my contractor was finishing up he went to hook up the stove and realized there was no gas to it. He went outside and found out that when they redid the gas lines (old owner) in 2016, they put only 6 meters on there, and never bothered to put one to the studio. They cut the gas pipe and never re connected for whatever reason. This prompted a few days worth of calls to the city and the old plumber, both of whom told me absolutely nothing citing "privacy". I even applied for a new gas permit, which I have yet to hear back on (3 weeks later).

    I had a plumber out and he said he could get it done but he recommended cove heating, which is all electrical. I called 3 electricians and had them come out, and as seems to be typical in this town, 1 of them bothered to provide me a bid and tell me how much it'd cost. I went with that one, and they are coming in and putting in 220 for an oven, and cove heating in mid December.

    So unfortunately I put 10k or so into this unit, and I've had it sitting empty, ready for someone to move in for about a month.....Oh well. Once it's ready, i'll probably put it up for 600 or so, because I've got to pay all the electric bill, and eating even a heat bill from a small apartment in wyoming in the winter is not my idea of a good time.

    All the while, the contractor that i've gotten is working on the next empty, and it should be done this week. it's looking really, really good. I'd move in there if it wasnt up a huge flight of stairs - it really looks that good, and it's a huge apartment. Im thinking i'll put that up for 675 or so. I'll get some pictures when I do the final walk-through.

    Hopefully by the end of the year or early jan, I've got this thing producing another 1200+/mo. Then it's on to the last vacant one, and then i'll start removing the tenants 1 by 1.

    I've also talked to the bank to get a construction loan for the last few units, and that is in process. I'll keep updating as that happens.  

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    @Jeff F. I'm new to this thread. It drew my attention because (a) it's in Wyoming and (b) I just bought an 11-unit that was improperly managed/maintained and I've been working to renovate, increase rent, and get the value up. I've read through but admittedly did so at a high rate of speed and may have missed some things.

    It sounds as though you got this for a good price. However, I want to play Devil's advocate and point out that you may have been able to negotiate an even lower price based on the necessary repairs. Rotted sub-floors, the majority of the appliances don't work, needs new siding, bad tenants, homeless people in the laundry room, etc.

    I understand the excitement of picking up a "good" deal and I think this will work out for you but it could have also turned very ugly on you. A simple inspection could have been the ticket to negotiating the price down another $30,000.

    I see your numbers for purchase and ARV but where are you at with repair costs, lost rent, etc?

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    8y

    @Nathan Gesner

    I got them down about as low as I could go. I know the seller inherited the property, and didnt want to bring any money to the closing table, he just wanted to get rid of the problem. I believe they walked away with just over 5 grand at closing. (The person that owned the property prior to inheritance died, so there was likely a lot of knowledge lost there)

    As far as the sub floor rotting - that was something I didnt know until I purchased it. It was more like an "as-is" deal, and I knew what I was getting into for the most part. Some of the stuff I wasnt aware of and could not have known prior to starting rehab work. 

    As far as expenses, here's about where I am (I'll do a full work-up at the end of the year, as well as the end of the project)

    siding and replace broken windows: 26k

    rehab: 45k or so

    Lost rent: this is tough to gauge, because there were 4/7 full when I bought but none of the 7 were in rent-able condition (in my opinion) so I knew they'd be empty until the rehab of that unit happened. it's been about a year of having 3 empty, so i'd say losing approx 1400/mo  x 12 mos = 16,800. I dont really count that as a loss because putting a tenant in there in that condition would likely be a low quality  tenant and a poor addition. All that said, every bit helps. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    Thanks for the update. 

    I bought 11 units this year. Owner did all his own maintenance (poorly). Almost all of the tenants were bad. One of them was five months behind on rent. All rents below market, utilities paid by owner. Tenants never reported maintenance issues because they knew they were getting a good deal. In my first two months, I kicked out four tenants, another left, and a sixth one had a stroke and was moved out by family.

    I've been renovating them on the interior and bumping rents up. Got some great tenants now and 2/3 of the units are up to market levels. I still have 43 windows to replace, repairs to stucco, and painting the exterior before it's all done.

    It already appraised for $105,000 over purchase price before I made the renovations, so I'm happy.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    8y

    @Nathan Gesner

    5 months behind on rent? That's not behind, that's just flat not paying because nothing happened. a friend had that happen to him, and he had to go to small claims court to get his money back. 

    Glad you got a nice appraisal - im having a valuation done this week. It appraised at 250 when I bought it for 160, so im hoping more than that this go round.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    @Jeff F. it was definitely not managed properly. I can typically evict someone 30 days after their rent is due. A lot of private owners think their tenants will eventually catch up but it just makes it worse and worse.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    8y

    Another Update: 

    After the enjoyment of finding out the gas wasnt connected in the studio and getting a new plan lined up, I found an electrician and had them complete the work. They finished yesterday and now all it needs is a fridge and a stove and it will be good to have someone occupy it.

    I did have to go with electric heat and I have to pay all utilities so I'll eat that until I can change that (hopefully early next year) and get everything going there. Once It gets the fridge and stove it's ready to go.

    The other one (huge 1br) my contractor moved to after the gas happened in the studio is almost done and the finishing touches have been put on it and should be ready to rent as soon as early next week.

    In other news, I saw this coming a few months ago and acted on it, but after all these renovations: 

    • siding
    • some windows
    • rehabbing 3 units
    • additional plumbing/structural work
    • appliances

    I've run very low on cash. 

    I got in touch with the bank, and they have valued it at 285k (bought for 165 1 year ago), and I'm pulling some money out to finish the remaining units. I feel like this is a fair value for what I've done already (approx 75k of repairs) and most of the HUGE stuff has already been done. Aside from turning units, there's only the electrical metering that needs to be done, though I'll likely do some work on the yard and replace some/all of the windows. 

    Hopefully, I'll get the rest of this completed in early spring.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Jeff F. how are you doing on occupancy and cash flow now?  Have you leveled out so you are cash flowing a bit to help cover your repairs and upgrades?

  • Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 221 votes
    8y

    hi @Jerry W.

    I still havent increased the income quite  yet. There are 2 units on the market, and they were listed right before christmas. I'm hoping to have leases in place by mid month. The PM has told me that they are getting quite a few showings a day each, so I'm optimistic.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    November and December are tough months to rent in Wyoming.  Things usually slowly start picking up in January, but not until March or April to really get going again.  I set most of my units to renew in May, June, or July.  I used to set them all for June feeling smug until I had to rehab 5 or 10 units at the same time.  Now I stagger them.

  • Specialist · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 137 votes
    8y

    @Jeff F. Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your process on this property, a fascinating and helpful narrative! Do you still plan to refinance and hold long term?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.