3 months 2 properties 1 remodeling 2 leases 1 cashout refi

3 months 2 properties 1 remodeling 2 leases 1 cashout refi

Investor · East Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 25 votes

Last Saturday I signed the lease on the second property I bought in the past 3 months. It has been such a busy but rewarding journey so far.

A bit about myself: Working full time in New York City, Live in NY State Westchester County. Invest in Connecticut (anywhere south of New Haven)

From November last year I decided to start building wealth in Residential Real Estate, diversifying from my regular stock investments. I call myself a student of Warren Buffett (he doesn't know it), made close to 20% return in stock market through carefully read all financial statements of a target company and understand its fundamentals. Around Nov 2016, everything in stock market looked so expensive, even the troubled energy sectors enjoyed ridiculous rally without justification from fundamental. While my entry points were excellent, I decided to diversify at least 50% of my investable wealth into Real Estate. 

However, everyone knows NY City area including northern new jersey gets so pricy and naturally following a value investor's playbook, I spend time in New Haven/West Haven/Milford area. 

Lots of Bank Owned properties and many motivated sellers. If you have cash and send in an cash offer, you can quite easily got a good deal done. 

Got my first deal done through Auction.com - a single family house that just went through foreclosure. I bought it sight-unseen, and the day after closing, I found it had no kitchen. (yes, no kitchen). Previous owner hammed the cabinets and they took away all appliances: fridge, range, dishwasher ... you name it. 

Good news was, the bone of the house was good. Rest of the house looked quite decent (except no kitchen). 

So this first deal was a rehab and rent play (it was carefully underwritten and I am glad I left some buffer in my underwriting model)

Spend many weekend trips up there, and worked with a GC who is not bad, spend overall approximately $30K into the house. Signed the lease last Saturday. It is about a 6.75% cap deal after all initial CapEx (still not too bad in tri-state area but not the best deal) (All in $175K, did a cash-out refi valuing the property at $205K)

While I was working on first one, I came across another Condo in same area (5 mins apart). The deal was back to market on MLS because previous buyer did not perform (failure to get the Mortgage). by that time it has been on the market for well over 4 months, so the seller was a bit frustrated and quite motivated. I came in negotiated a 10% lower than asking price and rented the unit limited the week after closing. And this is a 8.5% cap deal.

Crazy 3 months to do this two transactions, 1 rehab, 2 leasing campaign, 1 cashout refi, 1 HELOC on primary residence. All by myself - one man show, while working in a 50-hour demanding full time job.

But it is so worth it when you put carefully screened tenants into the units (fingers crossed!), when you see rent checks appearing in TenantCloud account. It is addictive and I am onto the third/fourth/fifth deals now. 

A huge thanks for BiggerPockets community, especially the emotional support when I was literally dealing with too many things and my mind won't stop and my mood gets swinging and less controllable. (it happens). 

12Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Shawn AckermanPro Member
Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Jay J. Congrats on starting in your REI journey. Stay laser focused on your goals and you will undoubtedly reach them. Keep shooting for the stars!!!
See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Jay J. Congrats on starting in your REI journey. Stay laser focused on your goals and you will undoubtedly reach them. Keep shooting for the stars!!!
  • Attorney · Mount Vernon, NY · Member since 2014 · 36 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Congratulations! Great story. Thanks for sharing.

  • Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
    9y

    Congrats on getting underway @Jay J.!

  • Investor · Mamaroneck, NY · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Nice Jay J. ! I'm trying to do the exact same thing as you. Really... almost exactly. I too work full time in New York, live in Westchester and am looking to find a rehab and rent somewhere in Fairfield county (still looking for my first deal, though). You have given me hope!
  • Rick SantasierePro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Granby, CT · Member since 2015 · 694 posts · 317 votes
    9y

    @Jay J.. Great share!  We are expanding down to southern CT, and looking to increase our network with all investors from the NY area.  We re currently working with several other NYC area investors to locate rental properties that meet their criteria, and have also worked with some others on flips, lease options as well.  PM me any time, I would love to connect!  I am down that way a few times a month, but I reside in the north central CT. Congrats on your success!

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y
    Congrats!! What a fantastic story! Very inspiring. Keep up the good work
  • Investor · East Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 25 votes
    9y
    Thanks all for the kind notes Jason Hanis of course there is hope! Just get hands dirty, be safe, be diligent and push all the way. I am not Patriots fan but their super bowl performance got to be enough to inspire a heck of a generation . Keep pushing !
  • Lender · Branford, CT · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 30 votes
    9y
    Welcome to Bigger Pockets congratulations on your success.
  • Greenwich, CT · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Awesome, Jay J. ! Congrats! Jay J. and Jason Hanis , I live in Fairfield County and I am looking to invest in the same areas. There are a few CT meetups, but nothing this far south as far as I know. Do either of you want to get together and discuss investing in lower CT?
  • Wholesaler · Glendora, CA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Great job Jay J. ! Can you please share how did you obtain the funds to purchase the property? And how did you screen a long distance GM? Thanks Gisela
  • Rental Property Investor · Carlisle, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 543 votes
    9y

    @Jay J., great month and great story.  Good luck moving forward!

  • Investor · East Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 25 votes
    9y
    James S. sounds good. I am prepping second lease move-in this weekend, we can try next Friday afternoon to grab a coffee if you Jason Hanis got some time! Gisela Casabella through investing my savings which are from W2 job . My wife and I are pretty thrifty, big savers and passionate value investors across all asset classes
  • Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Congratulations!

  • Investor · Mamaroneck, NY · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @James S. and @Jay J., I'm good for next Friday too.  Let me know when and where. 

  • Investor · East Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    @James S.@Jason Hanis if you guys are up for it, let's grab a coffee here next Friday 

    3:30pm

    Koffee? at 104 Audubon St, New Haven, CT 06511

    Let's confirm through pm. 

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    9y

    Congrats on the deals

  • Greenwich, CT · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Hey Jason Hanis if you are still down for a meetup, Jay J. And I are going to meet for coffee at Mozart Cafe in Mamaroneck at 4:30pm this afternoon. PM one of us if you want to join.
  • Mamaroneck, NY · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @James S.:

    Hey Jason Hanis if you are still down for a meetup, Jay J. And I are going to meet for coffee at Mozart Cafe in Mamaroneck at 4:30pm this afternoon. PM one of us if you want to join.

    I'm local in Mamaroneck and would love to meetup with you guys if the invitation is open. let me know!

  • Greenwich, CT · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Hey Christopher M. , sorry, just saw this! Join us next time we meet up? I am also planning on heading to the Fairfield meetup next week for the first time if you'd like to come say hey.
  • Mamaroneck, NY · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @James S.:

    Hey Christopher M. , sorry, just saw this! Join us next time we meet up?

    I am also planning on heading to the Fairfield meetup next week for the first time if you'd like to come say hey.

    Unfortunately, I can't make the Fairfield meetup but let me know next time you guys get together in the area. 

  • Greenwich, CT · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Sure thing, @Christopher M.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.