Best Side of Indianapolis?

Best Side of Indianapolis?

Wholesaler · Albany, OR · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 12 votes

Hey everyone!

I'm seeking for a bit of help here. I'm looking into buying my first out of state rental property, likely in Indianapolis. My market research seems to show that the west side seems a bit nice than the east side of the city. I'm strictly going off of home prices and crime statistics. Could someone more familiar with the area let me know what areas to focus on and which ones to avoid? 

Thank you in advance!

1Reply
86 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 474 posts · 214 votes
9y

Interesting discussion. I'm a newbie investor when it comes to Indy and have only visited once since beginning to invest there....but I have been going full in on the Near Eastside (Emerson Heights and Fountain Square...very different by the way) It seems there are a lot of good areas to invest in, which is what I would expect in a market that is growing as fast as Indy's is. Just on the Near Eastside I explored about a dozen different neighborhoods...some really rough and some pretty well gentrified. It really is block-to-block as they say (which incidentally seems to be the case in most cities I've invested in) Also on the near eastside I like Irvington, Arsenal Heights, Woodruff Place, Windsor Park, portions of St Clair Place and Little Flower. I also like Englewood long term, although it's super rough right now. 

And that's just the one quadrant, inside the loop. North of downtown offers a ton of cool neighborhoods much further along in gentrification it seems, so from a rental standpoint there are only a few areas that would produce cash-flow without being too sketchy. I think close to Butler was one such area. My favorite neighborhood was Herron-Morton but those prices are well over any good rental yield. 

I did not get to check out too much else on my visit to Indy but you get the idea. And when you go outside the loop there's a whole lot more...some great deals in every direction though I've seen many in particular in Greenwood, Lawrence and Fishers. I'll give one last shout out to Bates-Hendricks. Directly south of downtown and I bet it transforms the most out of any hood over the next 5 years. Unfortunately can't seem to find anything for the right price on a good block down there. 

Ok, those are just my opinions. Next trip I'll try to see more of the Westside and suburbs outside the loop. 

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Albany, OR · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Lee Smith

    Thanks for all that info! It definitely gives me a lot to consider. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Paramus NJ · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    @Ritch Bonisa I will be reaching out to you. Want to connect with decent wholesalers

  • Rental Property Investor · Paramus NJ · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I do some rehabbing in the Northern New Jersey area but recently started investing in Indy. My brothers live there and I go often which makes it a little easier since I get to know the neighborhoods driving around. I recently bought a four plex in Fountain Square to hold, and last friday closed on SFH to flip in Franklin Township. Don't have much experience to share yet but feel free to reach out.

  • Wholesaler · Albany, OR · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Ariel Hernandez

    Thanks for the input. I'd love to hear how those properties end up for you in a few months.

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2011 · 253 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed

    Sorry for the delayed response - just saw your question about why I stay out of the dark green.  The dark green areas on that Trulia heat map contain areas of town that only investors with a lot of knowledge about running properties in D areas should buy in.  In Indy many of those areas have vacant houses next to properties you might be considering.  I wouldn't live beside a boarded up house, and the people I want to rent to don't want to either.  There are some good streets in dark green areas too, but as a starting point, its safer to stay out of them.   

  • Investor · Humble, TX · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    how is Marrion County, saftety wise  & rentatbility

  • Batavia, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    Marion county covers over 400 square miles, so it's difficult to generalize for an area that large.  I'd suggest narrowing down to areas of interest within the county and looking at more specific data for those neighborhoods.

  • Investor · Erie, CO · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    We @JOSEPH RECCHIA are currently looking in Indy today, wanted to find a wholesaler. Also, in that area do you close with Title company or with Lawyer?

  • Wholesaler · Albany, OR · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Tim Toney There's tons of wholesalers in Indy. Just Google it. Check out Simple Wholesaling (@Brett Snodgrass)

  • Investor · Erie, CO · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I understand that, we are looking for a reference from a customer or direct contact with a wholesaler on here that wants to communicate and meet up tomorrow.

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 601 votes
    9y

    @Tim Toney  We are in Indy, and would love to help if we can.  Thanks for the recommend.

    @Lee Smith  

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2009 · 477 posts · 304 votes
    9y

    @Tim Toney You do NOT need a lawyer to close on a house in Indiana. Everything can be done through a title company.. I prefer to use Paramount Title, but some investors also like Hocker and Associates.. I have NOT had good luck with Chicago Title, and First American. Numerous times those two have missed clouds on titles. I don't work with them anymore. Meridian title is ok, but I constantly find errors on their HUD-1's so I just don't use them anymore..

  • Tokyo, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Hey everyone - jumping in here - 

    I'm also looking at a potential duplex opportunity in Indianapolis, specifically in the Mapleton / Fall Creek area. Based on the crime maps, it seems to in a rougher area with relatively high vacancy rates (15-20%), though I have also seen people say that its not as bad as people say it is.

    Any thoughts on this area from the experts here - is this a war zone or is this a relatively stable area?

    (@Account Closed - hope you don't mind me piggybacking on this thread!)

  • Wholesaler and Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2009 · 438 posts · 293 votes
    9y

    Neighborhoods that are emerging often have a lag in the crime stats

  • Tokyo, Tōkyō-to · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Andy Rumple. Meaning that the crime rate improvement won't show up until prices have already gone up?

  • Wholesaler and Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2009 · 438 posts · 293 votes
    9y

    yes. unless a bunch of white collar criminals move in lol

  • Union City, CA · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Glad I found this thread. I am looking into a duplex in North Tuxedo St., between 9th and 10th. From the Trulia map it looks like in the middle of a war zone. The numbers look great though. Any comment regarding this area is greatly appreciated. Thanks

  • Campbell, CA · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Hi @Ritch Bonisa, I am looking at Indy too, could you connect me to the person you mentioned?

    Hi @Barb Getty, will like to get your advice or recommendation on areas to look at

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Hi all,  lots of duplexes south of 10th St. in that area, and yes, it can be a little rough. If you get up closer to Brookside Park, it's better.  I'd recommend staying  above 12th St., those are B-/C+ neighborhoods.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    @Account Closed I have been Reading you threads. Any updates? how is your progress with identifying the right areas to buy, and what townships you end up buying

    looking to buy in Indy as well

  • Wholesaler · Albany, OR · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Masamey

    I’m not sure why I’m just now seeing this notification. Sorry for the delay. Yes, I’ve bought in Lawrence Township and the Devington neighborhood so far. Pretty much C-class all the way. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.