After 6 CRAZY MONTHS finally I closed my first deal

After 6 CRAZY MONTHS finally I closed my first deal

Real Estate Agent · Windsor, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 95 posts · 65 votes

Hello co-investors, 

I hope every one is doing fantastic. 

Very very excited to share my story, might be helpful for some newbies out there like me.

I came to Canada 4 years back from INDIA, currently working as Software Developer, till few months ago I have ZERO KNOWLEDGE about RE, only thing I know is some of my relatives who became rich because of Lands in India.

My RE journey started in August 2016, when I was searching for Investment options/resources in Canada, luckily landed on a Book (Rental Property Investment -by Turner) on Amazon, bought it and started to read, in that book many places Turner mention about a social media called BIGGER POCKETS which meant for RE investors ONLY, this is where I started to know more about RE and type of investments/strategies/niches and so on, still learning every day.

Fast forward, few months later on Jan 07 2017, finally I got an offer accepted for a SIDE BY SIDE Duplex, age: Old, location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

(Note: before this analysed 150+, viewed 80+ and I made offers on 30+ ppty’s,).

Before I started looking houses, I did 2 important things

1. Analysed my financial status and got a pre-approval from mortgage broker.

2. And decided my nitch(small multifamily houses(2 - 4 units)), reading books, blogs and attending webinars on BIGGER POCKETS helped me a lot to make decision.

Steps followed after OFFER accepted

  • House inspection on Jan 10 2017, cost $325
  • Removed the Conditions after making sure that there are no RED FLAGS in the house, and confirmed with mortgage broker as well, to make sure I get qualified for this house.
  • Immediately, contacted a lawyer to start the legal process
  • Then, got quotes from 3 different local contractors to renovate.
  • Contacted multiple insurance companies(who insure knob & tube), finally got for 144 per month with THE COOPERATORS (http://www.cooperators.ca/).
  • Closed on March 1st, couple of hours ago i got the key for the house. Superrr excited for finally being able to take the first step for RE journey.

Very Thank full for each and every one in BP Community, who’re taking time to answer every question and share their knowledge and wisdom.

My Special Thanks to @Cassidy Logsdon And @Matt Andrews my RE Agent/Mortgage Broker, for helping me in every move. I’m glad I met you guys.

Any suggestions/comments very much appreciated.

Future Goals: Aiming for at least 10+ units in total by end of this years.

Always happy/excited to talk about RE

Always Looking for Small multi-families and partners

For Numbers Please Inbox me.

Cheers

Aditya Soma

4Reply
34 views

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 36 posts · 15 votes
    9y
    Congrats on your first deal!
  • Rental Property Investor · Kitchener, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Congrads on your first deal, 

    possibly look forward to working with you in the near future.

    an investor / real estate agent from the Kitchener/Waterloo region.

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 564 posts · 425 votes
    9y
    Congrats on the purchase! How much work does it need? Is either unit currently tenanted? It's hard to get a deal in this market, but now the real work starts to make sure you can make the property run at the level you forecast. Good luck!
  • Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 569 posts · 351 votes
    9y

    Congrats Mr. Aditya Soma it's a victory! Yeah it's worth waiting.Hope for more success to come and thanks for sharing your story that motivates us.

  • Real Estate Agent · Windsor, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 95 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    Thank you all 

    @Darryl Zuber, sure I love to talk more, I will send you a private message.

     @Luc Boiron  

    Yes it's becoming tough to find. because many people looking for cash flow && Turn-Key ppty's. I made many offers little over asking price, still not accepted, bcz of multiple offers 20 -30K+ more than asking price. 

    But the good news is there are still many cash ppty's in the Windsor market, if we can follow @Brandon Turner BRRR strategy

    As I mentioned it's a Duplex 1 - 1 Bedroom , 1- 3 Bedroom

    When I made an offer, Its was fully rented for 425 + utilities & 650 + utilities( as per current market it can be rented for at least 600+ & 950+)

    at the time of closing 3BHK unit is vacant, where I'm planing for following improvements 

    1. whole flooring

    2. full kitchen & bath room 

    3. Replace furnace 

    4. And other cosmetic work like paining, bulbs.. 

    expecting nearly 20K Reno on 1 - 3 bedroom unit, I know it sound crazy to spend 20k on 1 unit, but I planned for it bcz of 2 reasons 1 - I want to hold the ppty long term and 2- numbers work, got mortgage including Improvement(22k), cash flow will be 200+ after all exp.   

    Cheers

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!!! I look forward to hearing more success stories from you.

  • Investor · Windsor, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Congrats Aditya!

    Hope to see you at the meet up Tuesday!

    Greg

  • Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Well done!

  • Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 148 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    congrats that us outstanding!!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Windsor, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 95 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    Thank you very much for all your warm wishes.  @Shell W.

  • Realtor · Windsor, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 54 votes
    9y

    Congratulations Aditya! Your patience paid off! ;)

    Looking forward to seeing how the renovation progress!

    It has been a pleasure working with you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Ottawa Ontario · Member since 2014 · 61 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    Congrats. Glad you found what you were looking for

  • Real Estate Agent · Windsor, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 95 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    Thank you very much @Cassidy Logsdon, for help me not just as a Agent but also as a Mentor. 

     Thank you @Igor Tomic 

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Aditya Soma not much left to say that our fellow colleagues haven't already covered. However, personally, I just want to thank you for sharing as it is always extremely encouraging to know its just a matter of time before it happens for me as well. Keep up the GR8 work and here is wishing you a successful 2017 in your REI ventures!

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    9y

    Congrats.All the best forward

  • Real Estate Agent · Windsor, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 95 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    I'm glad to hear that @Tony Wooldridge. Thank you

    Thank you @Bhekizwe M.

  • Bowie, MD · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Awesome!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.