Should I do this deal?

Should I do this deal?

Physical Therapist Assistant · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 131 posts · 28 votes

https://www.biggerpockets.com/calculators/shared/7...

The killer on this property is the flood insurance. The lowest I can get it for is $101, and that's with only insuring the loan amount as well as having the highest deductible possible. So it's really bad flood insurance at $101.

That said, the owners have said they've never had problems with water, even during heavy rainfall. They said it has come up to halfway in the backyard, but that's the worst they've ever seen it.

Anyways, what do you think about this deal? Are my expenses too conservative? I'm using 8% for vacancy, repairs, and capEx, and 10% for property management. Also, I have 8.5k in for repairs but that may be a bit too conservative. Planning on putting in new flooring in both units as well as new paint, but that's about it (right now). Planning on doing the work myself. It doesn't need a ton of work I don't think.

So, this is where I'm at. I'm looking to do a house hack but also looking to do something that will be profitable after I move out a year or so down the road and have both units rented and, hypothetically, with property management (because one day, I don't want to be managing my properties). This just barely scrapes by at a cash flow of 50 bucks per month, and the cash on cash doesn't look that great with 8.5k in repairs.

I would personally feel more comfortable at 100k. I started at 105k and we negotiated to 115k with them paying 3k in closing costs (I still have 3.5k in closing costs because I'm planning on paying PMI up front.

The property is in a fairly good area, and other investors have told me its a favorable area to be in. I know an investor that owns a duplex in the same cul-de-sac and his rent is $650/month which is what I accounted for. I think that getting $700 might be reasonable with a little bit of work and time, but I don't want to plan on getting $700/month right now.

Looking for some thoughts on this. Good deal or bad deal?

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 670 posts · 352 votes
9y
Lucas Mills here's my $.02, so take it for what it's worth. Sellers are liars. If the property is in a flood plain that's cause for concern. If the property makes sense at $105k, don't move from that number, period. If they don't agree to that price, move on. This is a business decision, look at it no other way. $50/month cash flow leaves zero room for error, I think it's slim. Again, just my initial thoughts. Best of luck!
See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Physical Therapist Assistant · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 131 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    @Sean Carroll @Casey Mericle @Sebastien Hitier @Jeff Sprunger

    Hypothetically speaking, if I was able to get flood insurance for $50/month, does that make the deal worthwhile? Here is an analysis at that point (assuming I have moved out and have both units rented):

    https://bp-v-newproduction.s3.amazonaws.com/upload...

    I know that this isn't a home run by any means, and I know the immediate cash on cash isn't spectacular. But, this would allow me to live essentially rent-free while focusing on acquiring more properties. Plus, this property is in an otherwise desirable area (aside from the flood zone).

    Plus, if I decide to self-manage this property, my cash flow goes up to $230 and my cash on cash goes to 15%. Maybe I self-manage this property for the next few years and put it under management at some indeterminate point in the future? The point is, for the here and now, it will eliminate my monthly rent which pay for itself in just under two years.

    So given all of that, what do you guys think about the deal with those numbers?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.