Our first deal 10 months later, Duplex Little Rock Arkansas

Our first deal 10 months later, Duplex Little Rock Arkansas

Real Estate Agent · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 33 votes

My wife and I bought our first rental Property in June 2016.

Basics of the deal:

Duplex in Little Rock AR

Purchased on MLS

Purchase price $105,000 (was listed at $140,000)

Cash to close: $23,579 ($21,000 down payment, $2,579 closing costs)

Rehab cost: $10,000

Loan: $84,000 at 5% annual interest (Commercial, 30 fully amortized, 5 year term then balloon)

Rent: $1500 (750$ per side) per month, 18,000 per year

Debt service: $568 Per month

Projected expenses: $719 per month

Debt service+expenses: $1,287 per month, $15,453 per year

Projected Profit at time of closing: $212 per month, $2,547 per year

Here is the spread sheet I used to calculate the profit:

* One note: We realized just before closing that it was customary for the renters themselves to cover utilities. This was a big win and erased a projected $160 per month ($1,920 per year) of expenses. That is reflected on the Pro Forma below.

2314-2316 Blackwood Rd
Little Rock, AR 72207
Great area North of UAMS
PercentagePercentage
Sales price$105,000.00asking price 140,000
Down payment$21,000.0020%0.2
Loan$84,000.00
Interest rate5%
Term20
Closing costs$2,579.85%2.457

0.02457
Rehab costs10,000
RENTS

monthlyannuallyUnit amountannuallytotal monthly rent income
Units 2 beds$750.00$9,000.002$18,000.00$1,500.00low end of estimated rent from local property manager
$0.00$0.00$0.00
Effective gross income$750.002$18,000.00$1,500.00
EXPENSES
monthlyanuallypercentagepercentage
Taxes$122.50$1,470.001.40%0.014derived from tax records, seems high but trying to use a conservative estimate.
Property Ins$77.26$927.12$38.63per doorQuote from Mcghee insurance
Maintanance$120.00$1,440.008%0.08
Property Management$150.00$1,800.0010%0.1
HOA$0.00$0.00
Utilities garbage, water$0.00$0.00$0.00per door
Mortgage payment$557.74$6,692.88using 5.3% amortorized over 20 years.
Vacancy$120.00$1,440.008%0.08
TOTAL EXPENSES$1,147.50$13,770.00
Costs up front$33,579.85
Expenses$13,770.00
Rents$18,000.00
Cash Flow anually$4,230.0012.60% Cash on cash return

So know we are 10 months out from this initial purchase and we have learned a ton.

The good: 

-Property is fully rented at our projected rent and monthly expenses are in line with projections except:

--Property taxes are a bit higher because in Arkansas the county does an independent assessment and does not use purchase price. At the time of purchase the county had our property assessed at $175,000 with one phone call I got that lowered to $125,000. Likely I could challenge and get it lowered even more this august.

--We fired our manager and are self managing and relying on Friends and handymen in the area. This has lowered our expenses but is a pain the rear at times.

The Bad: 

-We initially hired a property manager. Very nice guy....but did an awful job managing our property. The duplex sat vacant from July until December 2016. Finally we had a friend visit the property and he told us it was dirty and not in showing condition. After this we fired the manager and have gotten it fully rented in about 3 months. 

-Property has some drainage and plumbing issues. We have spent about $10,000 putting a French drain and Sump Pump as well as repairing a leak. We will probably spend another $5,000 at least in revamping the plumbing.

What have we learned:

- GO out and see the area. We have yet to go out to Little Rock to see our property. No good excuse. This could have prevented lots of issues and streamlined the process for getting this property rented.

-Fire bad managers or venders as soon as you are not getting results. You should have an realistic expectation of performance (for instance you might expect that the manager will have the property rented in 1-3 months) and move on from the relationship if that expectation is not met. Luckily we paid our manager nothing but we still had to eat all the mortgage payments and maintenance without any rental income for 6 months. 

-Houses are expensive....This is obvious. But Maintenance and capital expenses are the two things that will kill your profits quickly.

Overall very happy to have taken the dive into Real Estate investing. Excited to make another purchase this year. Will likely purchase again in the Little Rock area. Would like to buy at least 10+ units this time.

Feel free to reach out with any questions or comments :-)

3Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Little Rock, AR · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
9y
Great story! I'm in Little Rock and I've invested in properties all over the US. So I know your pain :-) I'd be happy to take a look at the property for you if you ever need me in the future. You're in a good area and although it's not real close to UAMS, it's actually a better location. You'll be fine at the purchase price.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Great story, @Maxwell Manatt! Thanks for sharing.

    If you decide to go back to having your property professionally managed, I know several top notch managers in the area that can help you (I am not one of them since we don't manage there).

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Maxwell Manatt I have to up-vote any other Californian investing in Central Arkansas. Get used to seeing the hashtag #WPS. You really do need to take a look at the area before buying. Little Rock and NLR can't be a little bit of a strange duck. Looking online it's extremely hard to see the difference between "okay" and "yikes" but it's extremely apparent when you drive the neighborhoods.
  • Little Rock, AR · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Great story! I'm in Little Rock and I've invested in properties all over the US. So I know your pain :-) I'd be happy to take a look at the property for you if you ever need me in the future. You're in a good area and although it's not real close to UAMS, it's actually a better location. You'll be fine at the purchase price.
  • Little Rock, AR · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Like RJ, I'm in Little Rock and am happy to take a look in person if it would ever help someone out of state. I also agree that one needs to be careful in that area because a few blocks can make a big difference.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.