Whew - First Deal is DONE!

Whew - First Deal is DONE!

Investor · Peculiar, MO · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 60 votes

After joining BP last November, @Brandon Turner hosted a webinar the night before Thanksgiving where he challenged everyone to buy a new rental property within 90 days. At the time I thought, "That's all fine and dandy, but I work full time and have a young family to raise. There's no way I'll have time to do that." Exactly 70 days later I closed on a duplex in an A+ neighborhood (Lee's Summit - a suburb of Kansas City).

I waited to post this story until the rehab was done and at least one side was rented. It took a bit longer than expected, but it's finally there. Now someone else is paying the mortgage for this asset, and I get to just sit back and watch the money roll in :o)

Here are the numbers:


*Note: The Repairs, CapEx, and Vacancy are low (5%). This is because the property already has a newer roof and stucco siding. I also replaced all of the major appliances, a 30-year-old water heater, most of the flooring, and painted the whole interior (including ceilings) during rehab. This is in a very desirable neighborhood, and was only on the market for a few days before we had an approved renter.

Could I have done better? Meh, maybe. Still, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Some things I did right:

  1. Looked at the numbers, not the property, to see if the deal makes sense. Even though I was dead-set against duplexes, BP's Rental Property Calculator showed me that this was a good deal even with the rehab needed. I undervalued the rent ($725/side) and was very pleased when my property manager said we could get $875/side!
  2. Joined my local REI group ($99/yr) and got 20% off paint at Home Depot. That alone saved me hundreds. I also shopped sales, scratch-n-dent, and package deals for appliances.
  3. Found ways to cut corners financially - bought materials from the Habitat for Humanity store, resurfaced damaged/ugly countertops instead of replacing them (Miracle Method), called in favors from handy friends to save on installation/repair, etc.

Some things I would have done differently:

  1. Use a short-term lender (hard/private money). We refinanced another property to come up with the money for this one, and now I realize we could have done a BRRRR instead. Still considering doing a cash-out refinance after the loan has seasoned a bit...
  2. Expect everything will take twice as long as I think it should. I was hoping to have both sides rent-ready by March 1st (one month after closing). Everyone was backed up - from handymen to carpet to painters. It took until March 30th to have just one side rent-ready.
  3. Work on your business, not in your business. My original plan was to do most of the rehab work and manage the property myself. The further we got into the rehab, the more I realized my time was better spent coordinating these things rather than doing them.

I have to say that in-person networking was key for this. The BP community is an excellent resource, but rubbing elbows with more experienced REI folks was really invaluable.

So no more excuses - Get out there, meet people, and make some deals!

13Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
9y

Great job! Proof that believing in yourself and putting fear aside are what is needed to become successful. I am sure you are ready for number two now!

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    Great job! Proof that believing in yourself and putting fear aside are what is needed to become successful. I am sure you are ready for number two now!

  • Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Congrats, Laura! The first step seems to be the hardest, and I'm sure you feel absolutely wonderful now that you have your very first rental property! It seems like you did not have any problems finding tenants for the first side, meaning you may be priced too low. Perhaps you can put up a listing for the second side at, say, $950/month. If no one calls you after a few days to a week, lower the price by $25. 

  • Lenexa, KS · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 53 votes
    9y

    Way to go, Lee's Summit is a great place to be! Congratulations on your first property! 

  • Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Congrats Laura! I'm working on putting together my first deal as well and appreciate the post and inspiration!

  • Investor · Longwood, FL · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 130 votes
    9y

    Great job! I love to hear hood stories like this. You made it happen.  The down payment came from equity on another house right? So is there a payment on that money now?  Thanks for posting the graph too.

  • Investor · Longwood, FL · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 130 votes
    9y

    Great job! I love to hear good stories like this. You made it happen.  The down payment came from equity on another house right? So is there a payment on that money now?  Thanks for posting the graph too.

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    9y

    @Laura H. - Good job, given that this was your first deal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 132 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    Great Job Laura! I remember talking with you about multi's at a MAREI event in December and could see you had your eye on the prize. Way to execute!

  • Realtor · Urbana, OH · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Congratulations! I enjoyed reading about what you did right and what you would have done differently. I liked the part where you mentioned work on your business, not in your business. I've known people that try to do so many things by themselves that they burn out and get frustrated. Many times, they waste energy and their time on things which could be outsourced. Great job!

  • Overland Park, KS · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Congrats Laura!!!! We shall raise a glass to your success.

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    Congrats @Laura H. ! That's a great price for Lee's Summit. I see you have $9k for your rehab. Is that pretty close to what you actually spent? I'm curious since I think I have a tendency to over estimate that line item. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Laura H. Congrats on getting your first deal done successfully from start to finish!

  • Contractor · New Iberia, LA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Congratulations! Don't forget to reward yourself in order to stay motivated.
  • Investor · Peculiar, MO · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 60 votes
    9y

    @John Thedford - Thanks! I'm ready for #2, but I'm going to take my time to find another great deal.

    @Quoc Tran - Hmm... Good point. At the moment I'm interested in getting folks in there ASAP since rehab was so far behind schedule. The first unit rented was the "nice" side, so if we were going to get any extra money it would have been on that one. I'll mention it to the property manager, though.

    @Brandon Holley - Thanks! I love Lee's Summit - lived there for ten years before moving south.

    @Ryan Antista - I learned a lot on this first one. I hear it gets better from here :o) Good luck!

    @Scott Harper - Yes, the down payment came from a cash-out refi on another property - a duplex my husband bought before we knew each other. That property is cash flowing (even with the new loan), but not nearly as well as this one.

    @Chinmay J. - Thank you! I know other folks can probably get better numbers, but I'm happy with this one :o)

    @Rich Kniss - Good to hear from you! Would love to hear how your goals are progressing.

    @Holly Hall - Guilty. I wanted to do it all myself, but I started realizing how much time/effort it was going to take, and realized I could get it done MUCH faster by outsourcing. My grandma always told me to put yourself at your highest - do the work that no one else can do and pay people to do everything else you can.

    @Chris Benson - Thanks! Looking forward to seeing what you're up to at our next meeting :o)

    @Marissa Carroll - I usually have a tendency to under-estimate cost, but in looking at the numbers I came in around $10,000. I still have some things to return, though, and I'll be getting a rebate from my Home Depot purchases.

    @Brian Garrett - Thank you! I sure learned a lot.

    @Seth Savoy - Thanks! I think my reward is to take a break for a bit and enjoy it - HA!

    Next steps are to pay down all credit card debt and student loan debt with an interest rate more than 5%. We should have probably done this before buying the LS duplex, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. By my calculations, we should be able to pay all of that off by August. After that, every spare dollar is going into our REI fund so we can be ready to jump on the next deal. Yahoo!

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    Great job on getting started. Congradulations.

  • Investor · Peculiar, MO · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 60 votes
    9y
  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Congrats, the first one is always the hardest but now you know you can do it so doing it again should be easier!

  • Investor · Peculiar, MO · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 60 votes
    9y

    @Jay Baker - You've got that right! This was certainly a learning experience.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rutherford, NJ · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    Congratulations @Laura H. I just started my RE/BP journey a few weeks ago and your story serves as great motivation!

  • Rockville, MD · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Congrats @Laura H.! I'm super new to all of this, and know nothing about your area of RE, but I know it's exciting none the less. Very inspiring!

  • Investor · Peculiar, MO · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 60 votes
    9y

    Thanks, @Alex V.! Good luck on your journey!

  • Real Estate Investor · Liberty, MO · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    Woohoo!  Congrats girl!  

  • Investor · Peculiar, MO · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 60 votes
    9y
  • Real Estate Agent · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Fantastic! Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!! :-)))

  • Investor · Peculiar, MO · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 60 votes
    9y

    Thanks, @Diane Dono!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.