Find a partner or fund my own deal?

Find a partner or fund my own deal?

Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 5 votes
So I just tried to begin analyzing my first properties yesterday and I hit a snag. I live on the island of Oʻahu in Hawaiʻi and I am interested in buying rental properties. We recently sold our townhouse to make a small profit and went back to renting to save money in order to finally start investing. I feel like we can afford to purchase something in the range of $100-150K, which basically means apartments or townhouses in various locations of the island. However, they all seem to be leasehold properties, which makes sense because most are located in high rise buildings in Honolulu. My question is, is there ever a reason to buy leasehold properties for the purpose of making them into rentals? And furthermore, would I be better off investing with a partner to find fee simple properties instead? I apologize for my ignorance in advance, please correct my thinking where I have fallen short :)
0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2012 · 218 posts · 104 votes
8y

@Brian Nakagawa The only time to invest in a lease hold is if you are planning on making it a vacation rental and the numbers work or if the lease is at lease 40+ years and the lease rent is low.  This is so you can sell later on.  LH with short leases will not sell because noone wants to take that chance that the Fee holder will not renew and just take the property back.  If you have a long lease the value will slowly go down but because of the high appreciation in hawaii you might be able to make a profit or break even. Also banks wont loan on LH with short leases because they know they cant get their money back, so the range you are looking at will probably not work.  

Right now I think you should hold on to your money because the market is crazy right now.  The prices I feel are overpriced (just my opinion) and the rental market is down across the island.  Many landlords are dropping prices from what they used to ask and occupancy is taking longer to fill.  So with buying prices going up and rental prices going down, the ratio is not good at all.

I suggest you just continue your education and watch the market.  You could also look into house hacking, if the numbers work, do Lien sales, find off market deals to flip, or wholesale.  Dont get suckered into investing out of state until you know what your are doing, thats how many people lose money.  They think they are good investors just because they are making money in an upmarket, acquiring property after property, then when a storm hits or there is a down market they get screwed.  Good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2012 · 218 posts · 104 votes
    8y

    @Brian Nakagawa The only time to invest in a lease hold is if you are planning on making it a vacation rental and the numbers work or if the lease is at lease 40+ years and the lease rent is low.  This is so you can sell later on.  LH with short leases will not sell because noone wants to take that chance that the Fee holder will not renew and just take the property back.  If you have a long lease the value will slowly go down but because of the high appreciation in hawaii you might be able to make a profit or break even. Also banks wont loan on LH with short leases because they know they cant get their money back, so the range you are looking at will probably not work.  

    Right now I think you should hold on to your money because the market is crazy right now.  The prices I feel are overpriced (just my opinion) and the rental market is down across the island.  Many landlords are dropping prices from what they used to ask and occupancy is taking longer to fill.  So with buying prices going up and rental prices going down, the ratio is not good at all.

    I suggest you just continue your education and watch the market.  You could also look into house hacking, if the numbers work, do Lien sales, find off market deals to flip, or wholesale.  Dont get suckered into investing out of state until you know what your are doing, thats how many people lose money.  They think they are good investors just because they are making money in an upmarket, acquiring property after property, then when a storm hits or there is a down market they get screwed.  Good luck.

  • Isi NauPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Mililani, HI · Member since 2016 · 217 posts · 253 votes
    8y

    Aloha Brian.  No need apologize.  Good job for putting your question out there.

    Sounds like your initial research is correct.  Ditto to the points Royce made.  In order to give much more, I'd have to know some of the finer details, but I realize you may not want to post that info publicly.  I am happy to help if you ever want to talk.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    Hi there Brian, I was exactly in your place having some appreciation money available and eager to start my B/H investing here at home. But when I got started I got discouraged really quick because the $150k I have to play with I learned its just chump change in Hawaii. Yep I considered leasehold too thinking ok I can afford that but nope just didnt make sense especially when you factor in the lease rent and possibility that at the end you may have to walk away empty handed. So impatiently I turned to turnkeys...I got really close to diving in but I just didnt feel comfortable to take the plunge. And during all this time Ive been really educating myself about everything and anything RE. The more I learn the more Im feeling okay about still having nothing to show for in the 7 months since Ive started this journey. If anything, I'll just have fun building up the cash bank for the inevitable market correction. Makes no sense to buy with negative or minuscule cash flow and with the chance the rental market sours. Hard to be patient but it just may be my luck that things arent working out as I hoped it would when I got started. I surely hope so. Good luck with your RE journey.
  • Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    @Royce Talbo Sincerely appreciate the feedback Royce. Sounds like I have a lot more to consider in my market. I’ll stay in touch.
  • Kaneohe, HI · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    @Lorna Kaaloa Thanks for the feedback, and it’s always good to hear about one other person still testing the waters.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.