BRRR--no rehab--on Fourplex! and the $100k letter...

BRRR--no rehab--on Fourplex! and the $100k letter...

Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2010 · 127 posts · 76 votes

Last week we closed on our first BRRR multifamily property! We've employed the strategy a few times now, but never on a multi-unit property. In our tight market (Olympia, WA), it's so rare to find a deal anymore, especially on the MLS. Which is why I was surprised when a 4-plex hit the Olympia market (right downtown!) with an asking price of $325k (disclosure: I live on the coast. No doubt midwesterners are shaking their collective head). We offered a strong $370k cash, knowing the property is easily worth somewhere in the $450k-475k neighborhood (the property was marketed very inexpensive as this was an estate sale property.) Despite 19 offers on the property within just 2 days, our offer was a winner!

So here's how it works out: we bought using hard money, which costs us about $7,500. Total "investment" is $377,500. There is NO REHAB. The previous landlord had done wonderful maintenance. We'll just continue to make small repairs and minor upgrades as we would any other buy-and-hold property. Let's say this property appraises for $475k (we feel this is conservative with two recent sold comps at $475k, $500k, one pending currently at $525k). Our lender wants 75% LTV to refi, so they'd loan $356k. So, while we don't get a FREE property here, we only have to bring ~$20k to the table to acquire this fourplex. Not sure about you, but I'll give up $20k cash for $100k equity any day of the week!

Why did they pick our offer? After speaking with the listing agent, they definitely had options! They had an escalation clause that capped at $467k, and on top of that they had a no limit escalation. If the seller wanted to accept these offers, the sales price would have been $470k!! Not to mention there were a few other offers over $400k. In speaking with the agent, they chose my offer because I wrote them a letter! Obviously money wasn't the most important thing to these sellers. I told the sellers I flipped the house right next door and that I LOVED the neighborhood, that after seeing the fourplex I knew I wanted to OWN it. I told them my intent was to keep rents lower than market rents for at least 24 months (the owners were advocates for affordable housing), and told them if rents were raised to market that I'd donate 10% of net profits toward our favorite non-profits and charities as long as I own the building. The letter worked! My wife and I are calling it the $100k letter :)

I'll update with actual appraisal values. You never know in the BRRRR game, and the appraisal value is critical! What do you guys think?

2Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Tyler Blackwell:

@Cara Lonsdale I never thought to submit a letter for an investment property, but we thought that our work right next door was compelling. Also, the fact that I literally WANTED that fourplex when I saw it needed to make it's way to the seller somehow. The rents will be below market only for the 24 month period, and then as folks move out I'll bump up. I did raise the rents initially because they were so low (an investor's gotta carry a mortgage, after all!), but I thought a short sacrifice would help us win the contract. The one benefit of lower-than-market rates (not that I'm an advocate of low rents, per se) is that there is more motivation to stay. If tenants look around they'll see other similar units renting for $1050-1100, so paying $850 is a good reason to stay.

 Yeah.  I like it.  However, I thought you mentioned something about adding a charitable donation if you were to raise the rents.  That is the part I thought should be modified.  NOT that you can't do the 10% donation to charity, but I just wouldn't recommend making the commitment to it to the Seller for an idefinite period.

Also, below market rents are a good strategy for keeping GOOD, long term tenants.  The trick is to have it high enough that you aren't losing too much each month (1100 - 850 = 250 X 4 = $1,000 per month in lost revenue) but low enough that it isn't worth it to the tenant to move.

For a market range of $1,050 to $1,100, I would offer $975-$1,025.  Anything below $950 would be leaving money on the table in my book.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Lincoln, NE · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    That's awesome Tyler.  I love the idea of writing a letter along with your offer.  I actually did this on a duplex I purchased years ago and it was the difference in that deal as well.  I didn't get near as much equity built in but was young and not nearly educated as I am now.  I also employed the house hack method with it as I had roomates on my side and rented out the other.  Congrats on your great deal!

  • Lender · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 549 votes
    8y

    Bravo, sir. 

  • Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    ALWAYS tell the Seller about the Buyer (in this case, you).  I do this with every Buyer I represent, and submit offers for.  As investors, we leave emotion out of the mix, but to many Sellers, this is their HOME.  If you paint a picture of a Buyer who is ready to make it THEIR home too, it goes along way.

    I liked the part that you added about keeping the rents below market for a period of time if affordable housing is your goal (and shared goal with the Seller).  However, I would caution using terms that go indefinitely.  Since you don't know how the market will shift, and how you will use/need that money, I would encourage you to frame your letter in a short term time frame (I like the 24 months) so your commitment is reasonable and can be sustained through the period of time you commit to.

    It sounds like a good template to use for the next one.

  • Lender · Hackensack, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 372 votes
    8y

    Great story and the 15 minutes it took to write a letter paid off in $$ 

    congrats

  • Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2010 · 127 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    @Cara Lonsdale I never thought to submit a letter for an investment property, but we thought that our work right next door was compelling. Also, the fact that I literally WANTED that fourplex when I saw it needed to make it's way to the seller somehow. The rents will be below market only for the 24 month period, and then as folks move out I'll bump up. I did raise the rents initially because they were so low (an investor's gotta carry a mortgage, after all!), but I thought a short sacrifice would help us win the contract. The one benefit of lower-than-market rates (not that I'm an advocate of low rents, per se) is that there is more motivation to stay. If tenants look around they'll see other similar units renting for $1050-1100, so paying $850 is a good reason to stay.

  • Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tyler Blackwell:

    @Cara Lonsdale I never thought to submit a letter for an investment property, but we thought that our work right next door was compelling. Also, the fact that I literally WANTED that fourplex when I saw it needed to make it's way to the seller somehow. The rents will be below market only for the 24 month period, and then as folks move out I'll bump up. I did raise the rents initially because they were so low (an investor's gotta carry a mortgage, after all!), but I thought a short sacrifice would help us win the contract. The one benefit of lower-than-market rates (not that I'm an advocate of low rents, per se) is that there is more motivation to stay. If tenants look around they'll see other similar units renting for $1050-1100, so paying $850 is a good reason to stay.

     Yeah.  I like it.  However, I thought you mentioned something about adding a charitable donation if you were to raise the rents.  That is the part I thought should be modified.  NOT that you can't do the 10% donation to charity, but I just wouldn't recommend making the commitment to it to the Seller for an idefinite period.

    Also, below market rents are a good strategy for keeping GOOD, long term tenants.  The trick is to have it high enough that you aren't losing too much each month (1100 - 850 = 250 X 4 = $1,000 per month in lost revenue) but low enough that it isn't worth it to the tenant to move.

    For a market range of $1,050 to $1,100, I would offer $975-$1,025.  Anything below $950 would be leaving money on the table in my book.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.