Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
Account Closed
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
First investment: SFH house hack vs out of state investing

Account Closed
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Mar 10 2018, 21:06
Hey BP! I’m just getting into the real estate investing world and have had a blast bridging my learning curve so far. My girlfriend and I have discussed getting married and beginning the REI journey. We live in a hot market (Nashville), and are contemplating a couple options. Would value your advice. For context, I have about 30k saved to make my first investment this year. Scenario 1 Move into her place and pay $1,000 in rent, then start investing in out of city/state SFH or MFH around the 100k range. Scenario 2 Use FHA loan to purchase a nashville property which we would renovate the basement to have a live in tenant. Price tag would probably be in the 250k-350k range. It seems like a SFH would be the most affordable option to house hack, and we’re okay with the lifestyle choice. I haven’t seen many duplexes or triplexes in the nashville market. My concern with scenario two is if the ROI would be worth it. Does it make sense making that investment at a peak market? I don’t know much about the tax benefits, or lack of for both options too. With scenario two, would a higher debt to income ratio make it more difficult to obtain future loans? Thanks!! Taylor

Loading replies...