2nd Flip... Follow along!

2nd Flip... Follow along!

Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes

Well, I am in escrow again... YES! I finished my first flip in March. Sold quick, great $, paid off all my CC debt and cleaned house. Now I have been looking for 6 months for another project! Dear wife is PRETTY restrictive on my house profile for projects. Since we are using our HELOC for down and rehab and holding costs... she isnt down to risk too much... so we have waited for a sure thing.

I have a great buying agent... who was really cool about walking lots of houses... we offered on a few flip targets... offered on a few BRRR targets both singles and MF, and nada... spring is brutal in Nor Cal. Anything that is public gets hammered with offers in the first week. Well, patience paid off. My agent calls me and says... "we have a winner... estate house, they dont want to do ANYTHING, and want out quick.... we have it in house, you get first crack"

Usually in Norcal that means that the kids have watched flip or flop 20x and went on zillow to get a value and they are HIGH.  well this time... I about fainted.   they were right on, if not low, even for my idea of a price.  I toured it with both agents... then they say oh there are NINE kids that have to sign off, and one is  a realtor.  I am CRUSHED.  think this will likely derail any offer I put together... but the realtors say no... that they have walked them through what they are asking for.  I walk the house... it is grandma... needs everything... but 90% cosmetic... no major issues so far..

I offer them exactly what they wanted at first meeting... but kind of figured if they got an offer day 1, we would get bumped a bit... well, they came back from my 600 offer, that they wanted to NET 630k after realtors.  I said no... did my usual song and dance on issues, asbestos popcorn etc. etc. and we countered back at 620k, they countered back at 629 with 45 day escrow.  we took it.... I am walking it with my contractor and selling agent friday.... 

I will have pics and all as we go along!

6Reply
83 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y
@Carson Wilcox So you’re paying 629k and rehab is 105k for total of 734 to make 40..? That’s a Ton of risk isn’t it to make 40 (likelY 25-30k post taxes)?
See this reply in the discussion

95 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • South Metro Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 22 votes
    7y
    I'm going through growing pains with my realtor right now as well (what a nice way to put it!) I've been searching for my first flip (have made offers on 2, currently in negotiations with my 3rd, fingers crossed) and I get a lot of push back from her -- like, she'll say, "I really don't think they will accept that offer" (and then they do after I ask that she go ahead and put the offer in) or, "they're probably not going to accept those terms" (and then they do or they negotiate more agreeable terms...) I've wondered if realtors hate working with investors like us because we are not looking for a house to live in - which is the type of client they're used to having - and it's more difficult to find the right property for us.

    I actually stress over the number of houses I've asked for info/comps on and walked through bc I'm afraid I'm asking so much and rarely do things pan out even though I do a tremendous amount of research on my end before even bringing anything to her. I feel like I'm trying to walk a fine line. Does anybody else experience this? 

    Originally posted by @Carson Wilcox:

    @Debra Thomson it has been a bit of growing pains... Getting her to understand what I wanted, what I needed... that I wanted her to look outside of MLS, beat the bushes... network... BUT, I think we are hitting our stride now. She got me into this house before it went public. and we locked it up... my last flip, she was my buying agent, and then was the buying agent when I sold it... mega double dip... and I referred her to a friend who sold his house with her, and bought their new house with her... so between my two flips and that one, she is getting 5 transactions. she wised up that no other relationship she has is getting her multi transactions a year...

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y
    My realtor is getting PAID... so I dont care.  if she doesnt like it... she can go work with someone else...

    it is her JOB.  she is working on spec for a big pay day on my deals in California...

    Originally posted by @Melissa Dinas:
    I'm going through growing pains with my realtor right now as well (what a nice way to put it!) I've been searching for my first flip (have made offers on 2, currently in negotiations with my 3rd, fingers crossed) and I get a lot of push back from her -- like, she'll say, "I really don't think they will accept that offer" (and then they do after I ask that she go ahead and put the offer in) or, "they're probably not going to accept those terms" (and then they do or they negotiate more agreeable terms...) I've wondered if realtors hate working with investors like us because we are not looking for a house to live in - which is the type of client they're used to having - and it's more difficult to find the right property for us.

    I actually stress over the number of houses I've asked for info/comps on and walked through bc I'm afraid I'm asking so much and rarely do things pan out even though I do a tremendous amount of research on my end before even bringing anything to her. I feel like I'm trying to walk a fine line. Does anybody else experience this? 

    Originally posted by @Carson Wilcox:

    @Debra Thomson it has been a bit of growing pains... Getting her to understand what I wanted, what I needed... that I wanted her to look outside of MLS, beat the bushes... network... BUT, I think we are hitting our stride now. She got me into this house before it went public. and we locked it up... my last flip, she was my buying agent, and then was the buying agent when I sold it... mega double dip... and I referred her to a friend who sold his house with her, and bought their new house with her... so between my two flips and that one, she is getting 5 transactions. she wised up that no other relationship she has is getting her multi transactions a year...

  • South Metro Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 22 votes
    7y
    In that final picture, I'm assuming that's the floor tile you chose because I can't see it looking so good after demo. I love it!

    Thanks for sharing the updates and photos as you go along. It'd be great to know how the numbers are shaking out as you go along as well. Not just for us but for yourself, especially since real estate is so expensive in Nor Cal! I look forward to seeing future updates.

    If my current negotiations end in a closing, I'll be posting about the flip as we go along.



    Originally posted by @Carson Wilcox:

    upstairs bathroom.  New pan and purple board, new floor... Shower quartz walls are now in... but no pic.

    Downstairs hall bathroom.  New tub, walls and tile...

    Master bath.  THis is one of the - of this house... small master.  If this was my house... I would have knocked out a wall, and made the master way bigger... turned the adjoining bedroom into a office nook or something...  But couldnt do that here.  So what we did was take out the linen closet that backed up to the master shower... took out the drop cieling soffet... and made the shower significantly bigger...  really opens the feel...

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y
    Yup!


    Originally posted by @Melissa Dinas:
    In that final picture, I'm assuming that's the floor tile you chose because I can't see it looking so good after demo. I love it!

    Thanks for sharing the updates and photos as you go along. It'd be great to know how the numbers are shaking out as you go along as well. Not just for us but for yourself, especially since real estate is so expensive in Nor Cal! I look forward to seeing future updates.

    If my current negotiations end in a closing, I'll be posting about the flip as we go along.



    Originally posted by @Carson Wilcox:

    upstairs bathroom.  New pan and purple board, new floor... Shower quartz walls are now in... but no pic.

    Downstairs hall bathroom.  New tub, walls and tile...

    Master bath.  THis is one of the - of this house... small master.  If this was my house... I would have knocked out a wall, and made the master way bigger... turned the adjoining bedroom into a office nook or something...  But couldnt do that here.  So what we did was take out the linen closet that backed up to the master shower... took out the drop cieling soffet... and made the shower significantly bigger...  really opens the feel...

  • South Metro Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    @Carson Wilcox

    yeah, i get that. that's the fine line i'm talking about...she's getting paid when we find the right house, it's her job, etc. but on the flip side, she can run screaming for the hills and i'll have to find another realtor and start the whole process over again. it wasn't easy finding her! i made at least a half dozen calls and nobody got back to me. plus, she was a friend before she became my realtor so there's that!

    but most importantly, i'd like to cultivate a relationship that lasts so i don't have to go through the growing pains with each house i purchase...and develop a stellar reputation so that i can get those inside pre-listings because people know i'm reliable!!

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    liking this progress :)

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Hi All,

    Not sure if you guys have worked with outside investors in any of your flip deals before, but I’m looking to invest part of the equity required for a project with a developer. I was wondering if anyone knows what the typical pro rata share would be for the profit on the sale of the asset. Should the pro rata share of the profit after the house is sold and debt and equity is repaid be based on the total capital stack or total equity stack?

    Thanks!

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    Front Patio is about done!

    And Appliances delivered!

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    @Melissa Dinas  I see where you are coming from... Maybe having a goal setting and expectations meeting.... Make sure you are on the same page...  

    My realtor is kind of a spaz to begin with, always chomping at the bit to do something... I ask for something, her time etc.. she gives me feedback if she needs to... and we go from there...  I dont expect her to drop what she is doing and write my offer or get me comps in 10 minutes... but I do expect more attention than just joe blow prospect..  

    IMHO opinion, I have done 3 transactions with her in 8 months... 575k, 820k, 630k, and also fed her a referral where she sold their house, and repped them on their buy, both in the 800k range... so do the math at 2.5% that's a lot of $...  so if she started whining, I would just ask my broker to give me someone else....

    For you... find some flippers and buy hold guys around you, ask who they use...

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    Well, we are moving along.  City has a new inspector that totally Railed me... Doing window replacement, permits approved, and AFTER installation sheetrock and residing, Opie decides that the upstairs bedroom windows arent big enough for egress.  Even though they were the same size as before.  stab.  His Manager said he is being a total A hole... but that technically he is right.  This guy has cost us at least 3 weeks, and this thing will cost me probably $1500.  JOY!

    Anyway... all the cabs are in, and paint happening this last week.  Contractor says he will hand me keys 12/15 if he can get clear weather to paint.  Some pics!

  • Realtor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Just read the progress on this 2nd flip.  Great job.  It really looks like you have your systems down and tweaked your processes from your first flip.  Any insight you can share (+ or -) that you've encountered along the way in this 2nd flip that will benefit you even more on the next one?  

    Again, looks great.  Have you factored in your personal time commitment to this project?  Would you subtract that from the actual return in the end of chock it up to experience?  Just curious.  Thanks in advance.

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    the only thing I have learned on this one are....

    I took the best price I could get.. Maybe not a price that met the math on this house..  if this house sits I lose $... we will see.

    as well as making sure that everything I wanted to do was to code... contractors get away with lots of stuff... depending on who is watching..

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    @Carson Wilcox Followed your first flip and just stumbled across this one. Exciting stuff! What is the tile you used on the bathroom floor a few posts back? It's really nice. 

  • Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    As a second flip this is remarkably inspirational! Cheers for posting the process. I look forward to seeing the final outcome.

    How far are you from finishing?

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    allegedly getting keys next friday.  I am sure there will be some little stuff left to tune up.. But stagers and pics are friday the 14th

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    KT it is from floors and more...  it was HOT a couple years ago, but $$$$$, now mass produced... dont know the manufacturer or style off hand.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    Thanks sir. That's plenty info for me to find it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    7y

    Can't wait to see the final photos with staging, looking great so far @Carson Wilcox

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    well, it has been a busy and frustrating few weeks... huge progress some days and then stops and starts with nothing and apparent indecision from contractor have led to some pretty good timeline slippage.  very frustrating to go to the project, see no one working and hear BS...  One of my main areas to work on is my ability to be assertive and push my contractor while still maintaining a positive relationship... I feel like he is taking my niceness as weakness.  argh.

    we got the house staged yesterday, but there is still punch list stuff happening...  my realtor who also works with my contractor a lot has helped me push him along...we pushed one staging date, and said we werent going to push it again, that we wanted the house the 20th... period.  It happened... the exterior is TANTALIZINGLY close... but I dont know if we will get weather to finish it off.  Here are some pics as it got close to staged, and some initial bad pics staged.

    Dining room through to Living room

    living room, Fireplace needs another coat.

    upstairs bedroom.

    upstairs bath...    biggest challenge with 60's houses and tight budgets are the small bathrooms...   argh.  

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    It's looking great man!

  • South Metro Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Excellent!! Looking really good. I just closed on my house on the 19th so I'll be posting up pictures and updates soon, too. 

    Press on!!!

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    well, as predicted, Xmas put the breaks on things... But we took pictures today!  Listing and 3d Tour tomorrow.

    Of Course 20 minutes before pictures this is what it looks like.  Contractor, painters, a partridge in pear tree.

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    Some before and afters... DW loves making these.

    Front of house


    Family Room

    Kitchen.  It turned out super $$$... A few little party fouls on the feng shui with fridge stove sink...  but its what we could do.

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    Hall Bath

    Upstairs Bath... There are 2 mirrored rooms with a bath on the hall between.  This is what will sell this house.

    Upstairs bath.  Kind of a wierd shape, Contractor was great for helping find products that maximized options.

    Dining Room

    "Master Bedroom" is the smallest BR in the house, but it has an attached bath... so I guess its the master.  If it was my house, I would drop a room, and make a bigger master suite... but that $ wasnt in the cards. 

    Bold but chill... House is ALL white with that weird red roofing... and we did a black front door, black fixtures and just the little faux shutters in black... the rest is white.  contractor initially wasn't into it... but now admits it looks good, and really accentuates the good, and downplays the bad of the curb appeal.  $ well spent to have a 3rd party walk the house and choose colors and theming for the house.

  • South Metro Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Nice! I was reading an article which claimed that black front doors sell for higher $$. IDK if it's really true but I hope so for our sake (my property also has a black front door!)

    Good luck!! What's the sale price? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.