2nd Flip... Follow along!

2nd Flip... Follow along!

Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes

Well, I am in escrow again... YES! I finished my first flip in March. Sold quick, great $, paid off all my CC debt and cleaned house. Now I have been looking for 6 months for another project! Dear wife is PRETTY restrictive on my house profile for projects. Since we are using our HELOC for down and rehab and holding costs... she isnt down to risk too much... so we have waited for a sure thing.

I have a great buying agent... who was really cool about walking lots of houses... we offered on a few flip targets... offered on a few BRRR targets both singles and MF, and nada... spring is brutal in Nor Cal. Anything that is public gets hammered with offers in the first week. Well, patience paid off. My agent calls me and says... "we have a winner... estate house, they dont want to do ANYTHING, and want out quick.... we have it in house, you get first crack"

Usually in Norcal that means that the kids have watched flip or flop 20x and went on zillow to get a value and they are HIGH.  well this time... I about fainted.   they were right on, if not low, even for my idea of a price.  I toured it with both agents... then they say oh there are NINE kids that have to sign off, and one is  a realtor.  I am CRUSHED.  think this will likely derail any offer I put together... but the realtors say no... that they have walked them through what they are asking for.  I walk the house... it is grandma... needs everything... but 90% cosmetic... no major issues so far..

I offer them exactly what they wanted at first meeting... but kind of figured if they got an offer day 1, we would get bumped a bit... well, they came back from my 600 offer, that they wanted to NET 630k after realtors.  I said no... did my usual song and dance on issues, asbestos popcorn etc. etc. and we countered back at 620k, they countered back at 629 with 45 day escrow.  we took it.... I am walking it with my contractor and selling agent friday.... 

I will have pics and all as we go along!

6Reply
84 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y
@Carson Wilcox So you’re paying 629k and rehab is 105k for total of 734 to make 40..? That’s a Ton of risk isn’t it to make 40 (likelY 25-30k post taxes)?
See this reply in the discussion

95 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    7y

    Awesome job @Carson Wilcox well done!

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    Swear flipping houses is like the 1000M at the olympics. If in the last 20 meters everyone laid down and tried to do the worm to the finish. What is it about the last few little things!  Argh!  

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y
  • South Metro Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Spectacular! 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 59 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    Looks amazing!

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    Well, we are LIVE on the MLS!

    https://www.redfin.com/CA/Davis/1311-Pine-Ln-95616...

    We are listed at $859 which is a good price for me... I think it should stay right there, or climb a bit....  we will see!  fingers crossed!

  • South Metro Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    I believe initially you were planning on going on the market in November...how much does extending your timeline impact your profit?

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    about $5k per month in holding costs...  I dont know why I ever had that pipe dream.  Between Thanksgiving and New years, probably got 10 work days out of my guys...  vacations, excuses, holidays, illness...

  • Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2017 · 325 posts · 701 votes
    7y

    @Carson Wilcox

    Design Question?   One bedroom has carpet and one has hardwood (laminate).   Was it done on purpose or out of necessity?  

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    2nd floor has carpet, 1st floor laminate.  Noise was an issue.  Also the 2nd floor has steep stairs, which would have been carpeted anyway...   upstairs has sketchy old hardwood, which it wasnt in the budget to redo... but we wanted to carpet over it for them to redo if they wanted... vs demo for laminate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ravena, NY · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Awesome flip! I love the design concepts. Eager to see how quickly you're able to move this property. 

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    @Dylan Keyer thanks!  I cant stress enough how much it helped to pay a designer to make the house look its best.  They just see things I didnt... had ideas and a real 3rd party response.  Mine is a friend, but I am sure if you found one and said hey... I need a lookbook and colors for this house... I can pay you for 3 hours time... they would jump on it.  easy $ for something they do for prospective clients all the time and get nothing for.

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    well, 25 days on market, and we GOT A NIBBLE!  january is sloooow... but we got a bite.  we listed at 859.  We got a "I'm Sorry, but I told them we would try" offer from a realtor we know... at $800.  I was happy but also a bit sick to my stomach.

    not only was it $800, but they wanted a complete sewer line replacement... out of the blue.  we had it scoped and the verdict was "OK, not great, but OK". So we say ok, you are short $, short down $, and maybe have a finance issue... we will play ball... $850k and a home warranty.  they counter back at 841,500.  we said lets wait the 3 days, think etc... and then POOF!  Another call.  this one was better... a Dr.  wanted the house to put her kid in for college (must be nice). Tells my realtor he wants to bring us an offer at 820.  My guy says dont bother, we are in negotiations already above that.  bring us your best.  we go back and forth a few times... with teh first offer, and now the Dr... and the agents decide that the buyer is into it at $850 as is, only city resale and pest to be cleared!

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    so we opened escrow MONDAY!  SOOO stoked.  this one will be a bit slimmer than the last one... but experience, and some $... is priceless.  we allegedly close 3/12.

    Honest time... I was STRESSING. we had people fighting over the last one...  so after 3 weeks, tons of open houses etc... I was getting really down.  but now!  all good!  fingers crossed.

  • South Metro Atlanta · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Good luck!!!

  • Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2017 · 325 posts · 701 votes
    7y

    @Carson Wilcox

    the sales slowdown is quite widespread

    http://fortune.com/2019/01/22/u-s-existing-home-sa...

    I think it is too early to say if it is a blip or the beginning of the next downturn but the "doom and gloom" crowd is out in force.

    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4240221-housing-m...

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Nachtigall:

    @Carson Wilcox

    the sales slowdown is quite widespread

    http://fortune.com/2019/01/22/u-s-existing-home-sa...

    I think it is too early to say if it is a blip or the beginning of the next downturn but the "doom and gloom" crowd is out in force.

    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4240221-housing-m...

    well, sometimes I feel like these journalists get paid by the pound.  It is slowing... I am glad I didnt try and flip a turd into a diamond in a crap neighborhood... those are sitting HARD... I saw a couple I passed on for price that are done projects just sitting..

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    Well, I am slacking BIG time on my deal diary here.  

    Escrow going smoothly...  Pest and home inspections clear of anything I am going to do....

    We went through escrow pretty smoothly until the people from the government showed up to help.  My city requires a "resale inspection"  When I bought the beat up house, I took on the responsibility of clearing all unpermitted work... it was all the bathrooms etc... which I gutted and replaced on permit anyway.  I clear the permit from purchase... and immediately have to pay $400 for another.  isnt that nice!

    Well of COURSE the inspector is different from the guy who final'd the house, and is different from the guy who approved the drawings... so he sends us a nuclear weapon of an inspection.  to both realtors....  everyone freaks.   My contractor is on it, speaks to the guy, gets his boss involved... and gets the house cleared.  but it was tight b hole there for a day or two... of COURSe over a weekend too.

    In the middle of all this the title company calls and says hey, would you like to close early?  I say F yes... every day early is $150 in interest and BS costs... lets go!  Turns out the buyers had a rate lock they would have had to pay to renew....  so we went in on Monday the 4th and signed closing docs... about 10 days early.  I like closing, but I hate it.  costs too much!  I will get a final post up with some $ #'s as soon as all the checks and refunds and bs happens.  thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    7y

    @Carson Wilcox  Congrats on the close, looking forward to the numbers!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.