Just closed second multifamily deal

Just closed second multifamily deal

Real Estate Agent · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 85 votes

Yesterday, I just closed on our second multifamily deal.  I can honestly say that almost every part of this deal was influenced in some way by what I have learned on this forum, in the webinars and, especially, on the Bigger Pockets Podcast.

To begin with, this deal was not on the market.  I found it by using one of @Brandon Turner's methods recommended in podcasts and webinars:  I saw a for rent sign and simply called the number, asking if they would want to sell the property.

I analyzed the property using methods discussed on Bigger Pockets, using a lot of the criteria discussed on this site to push myself to make this as good of a deal as possible, while working to find a win-win for the seller and myself.

Throughout the negotiations, I used techniques directly taken from lessons in the Chris Voss podcast (in fact, I had this podcast playing in my car for the days leading up to the meeting I had with the seller as part of my preparations).  I've listened to that podcast at least 3 times; I highly recommend it.  It is podcast #260.

I then got a second opportunity to try out my negotiation skills when we renegotiated after inspection  and got a significant amount taken off the purchase price plus a huge amount of credits at closing.

And then, to top it all off, I closed the deal using none ($0) of my own money.  Well, I did pay for the inspection and the deposit - which I reimbursed myself for  out of the first month's of rent checks : ).

Now, I am working my way through The Book on Managing Rental Properties to ensure I am doing all that I can to maximize profits and minimize risk.

Basically, the reason for this post is a "thank you" to this forum and the folks at Bigger Pockets for the wealth of information provided here. 

-Nathan

P.S.  Our first deal was three units, and this one is six. Can you say STACK Method? Here's to hoping this trajectory continues!

31Reply
114 views

Most Popular Reply

Foreclosure Specialist · Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 7 votes
7y

Really Nice Work Nathan, 

This is a real inspirational post. I am currently in the process of finding my first rental property (Tri-Plex or Quad-plex); however, most friends and family think I am crazy  and wasting my time. So it’s always motivational to read success stories of new investors. 

Keep it Up...

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nathan McBride:

    Yesterday, I just closed on our second multifamily deal.  I can honestly say that almost every part of this deal was influenced in some way by what I have learned on this forum, in the webinars and, especially, on the Bigger Pockets Podcast.

    To begin with, this deal was not on the market.  I found it by using one of @Brandon Turner's methods recommended in podcasts and webinars:  I saw a for rent sign and simply called the number, asking if they would want to sell the property.

    I analyzed the property using methods discussed on Bigger Pockets, using a lot of the criteria discussed on this site to push myself to make this as good of a deal as possible, while working to find a win-win for the seller and myself.

    Throughout the negotiations, I used techniques directly taken from lessons in the Chris Voss podcast (in fact, I had this podcast playing in my car for the days leading up to the meeting I had with the seller as part of my preparations).  I've listened to that podcast at least 3 times; I highly recommend it.  It is podcast #260.

    I then got a second opportunity to try out my negotiation skills when we renegotiated after inspection  and got a significant amount taken off the purchase price plus a huge amount of credits at closing.

    And then, to top it all off, I closed the deal using none ($0) of my own money.  Well, I did pay for the inspection and the deposit - which I reimbursed myself for  out of the first month's of rent checks : ).

    Now, I am working my way through The Book on Managing Rental Properties to ensure I am doing all that I can to maximize profits and minimize risk.

    Basically, the reason for this post is a "thank you" to this forum and the folks at Bigger Pockets for the wealth of information provided here. 

    -Nathan

    P.S.  Our first deal was three units, and this one is six. Can you say STACK Method? Here's to hoping this trajectory continues!

     Hi Nathan, thank you for sharing your story! Can you explain in depth how did you fund your deal without using your own money ( except the inspection). Thank you!

  • Dion McNeeleyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Port Orchard, WA · Member since 2018 · 116 posts · 123 votes
    7y
    @Nathan McBride Congratulations
  • Real Estate Agent · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 85 votes
    7y
    @Ashley Zhang The commercial bank allowed me to apply the seller credits ($51,500) toward the down payment and closing costs. The rest of the cash to close came from a silent partner in exchange for 50% ownership. I was able to get the seller credits because of the presence of knob and tube wiring. That will eventually need to be fixed, but it’s something I can tackle using the profits from the property or a line of credit secured by the equity in the property. Either way, it’s not comIng out of my pocket.
  • Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    That is awesome @Nathan McBride ! I'm particularly happy to hear that the wisdom of Chris Voss paid off for you. I have read his book and listened to the podcast - too good. Could you elaborate about what techniques you used for the negotiation? Happy to take this to pm if that's favorable for you. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 85 votes
    7y

    @Will Parker I read his book (Never Split the Difference) a few months ago, and it was a real game changer.

    TL;DR:  I used the 65%/85%/95%/100% increasing offer tactic, huge amounts of tactical empathy and I refused to speak first whenever possible (yes, I had to embrace the power of the awkward silence)

    For this deal, I made it a point not to speak first.  However, the seller made it clear that I would need to throw out the first offer, and I went crazy low (started with a range around 65% of my target purchase price).  I just knew she was going to hang up on me, but she didn't! 

    She said it was way too low, but agreed to show me the property after I explained that this was my "sight unseen" price without knowing anything about the condition or layout of the property.  That got me in the door - literally.

    Once I toured the place, I bought the seller coffee at a place around the corner with the goal of determining her motivations (while I acknowledged that my first offer was insanely low, I did not push for resolution of price in this meeting - we scheduled a follow up meeting several days later to hammer that out).  I discovered that she was mostly retired and had been buying condos at the beach as her retirement plan.  Also, she was a reader of the 7 Habits, too, and adamantly agreed that we needed to find a win-win.  

    She had owned this house since the mid-1990s and had lived in it for awhile initially.  I told her that I may one day re-convert the house to serve as my primary residence, maintaining three income producing apartments (a later in life house hack if you will).

    She acknowledged that the place was maintenance intensive at times but was very profitable. I said that, while beach condos may not bring in big time returns, they require almost no effort on the owner's part. I told her that as you get older, your time becomes exponentially more valuable, which is why less work for lower returns would be ideal for her situation. At the same time, at 28, I have time to throw into a project like this, but I need cashflow to get going with my REI "career." Again, win-win.

    Long story short, she rolled the proceeds from this sale into a new condo this week using a 1031 exchange and has much more free time to spend with grand kids, while I have a potentially very profitable property that I could potentially live in one day.

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    @Nathan McBride

    Absolutely love stories like this. Congrats on your Win in finding this property and turning it into a deal!

    Could you elaborate on how you built your relationship with this bank?  Using the seller's credit as a down payment blows my mind.

    Thanks!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Golden, CO · Member since 2013 · 590 posts · 319 votes
    7y

    @Nathan McBride What is Chris Voss's podcast called?

  • Real Estate Agent · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 85 votes
    7y
    @Dennis L Lewis Jr We purchased our first property with them last year and had a great experience. We then went to use them again for a big deal that blew up at the closing table (looong story...). Even though that deal fell through, we gave the loan officer a gift card and note thanking him for all of his work and assured him that they would be our first call for future deals. I’ve kept in touch over the past few months, getting updates on rates and talking about potential deals but making sure not to waste their time until I had something concrete. A lot of the relationship was dependent upon the loan officer, though. He didn’t have to take his time talking with a newbie investor like me, but I guess he liked that I had preliminary numbers already run before calling him, showing that I was serious and that I had an actual deal. If they know you’ll make them money, they’ll talk to you. Now that we have a certain level of trust built up, I really don’t plan on shopping loans around. The loan officer knows that, and it’s more motivation for him to get me the best deal he can. He knows I’m not wasting his time, and I know and respect the fact that he has to make money. The rate shouldn’t make or break a deal if it’s truly a good deal.
  • Real Estate Agent · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 85 votes
    7y
    @Kyle Doney I don’t know the title, but I’m pretty sure it’s episode 260.
  • Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @Kyle Doney check out BP Episode #260. I also suggest checking out his book - it's worth the read, several actually

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nathan McBride:
    @Ashley Zhang

    The commercial bank allowed me to apply the seller credits ($51,500) toward the down payment and closing costs. The rest of the cash to close came from a silent partner in exchange for 50% ownership.

    I was able to get the seller credits because of the presence of knob and tube wiring. That will eventually need to be fixed, but it’s something I can tackle using the profits from the property or a line of credit secured by the equity in the property. Either way, it’s not comIng out of my pocket.

     Hi Nathan,

    it was very encouraged to see how you did the deal. I was  almost give up because its a buyer's market currently and I couldn't figure out how am I going to fund the properties that was only a OK deal. So I just try to gain some knowledge on Seller's credit. Does it mean the seller agree to fund you the $51,500 or the seller lowered the purchasing price? I am not quite sure what exactly is Seller's credit. I will do some research myself as well. thank you so much and good luck to you Nathan!

  • Real Estate Agent · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 85 votes
    7y
    @Ashley Zhang A seller credit is essentially like cash back when buying a car. I pay the seller an agreed upon price, the credIts aretaken out of the sellers proceeds and the title company typically applies those credits toward closing costs or escrows credits for repairs. The commercial bank in this case allowed us to apply all of the repair credits instead of holding them in escrow. Deals are always out there. Just be patient and persistent (and sometimes creative). Don’t rely on financing to make or break a deal. The deal should be able to stand on its own.
  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Hi Nathan, I appreciate your fast reply!! and thank you for the education on seller credit. you are right, deals are out there, I just need to work harder being more creative. I was never thought about using commercial loan. ironically, I spoke to my local loan originator yesterdays,  who told me that their commercial loan required 30% down. I told him there is no way that I can come up with 30%. But reading your story I think it's possible, I just need to find the right one. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 85 votes
    7y
    @Ashley Zhang You need to find a new commercial lender. The 20% down payment is one of the positive aspects of a commercial lender that offsets the shorter amortization and higher rate. The flexibility in what they can do is what primarily makes them attractive to me. They find deals conventional banks won’t, as long as they meet profitability requirements. They don’t have to fit all of their loans into the standard “boxes” that traditional banks are bound by.
  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    @Nathan McBride

    Awesome stuff!

    Good on you to keep following up and staying in contact.

    Thanks for elaborating.

  • Accountant · CO · Member since 2018 · 195 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Thanks nathan. You are adding more creativities into RE investment !

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.