Multi Property purchase / hard money and seller financing

Multi Property purchase / hard money and seller financing

Robert CliffordPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 19 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment in Columbia.

Purchase price: $315,000
Cash invested: $50,000

Closed yesterday on 3 duplexes. Used a mix of hard money and seller financing to get it done. There's a good bit of deferred maintenance, but with a little rehab ($5k-8k) per unit, I'll be able to increase rents at least $100 a month for each unit. Seller has 2 more properties I hope to acquire next year. First step, transfer properties to new property manager, switch water billing to tenants, and make plans for electrical/HVAC and kitchen updates.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I couldn't afford the down payment to purchase all together, so by splitting up the transaction, I was able to acquire with minimal cash out of pocket, and included rehab in loan.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Deal found on MLS. They didn't sell last year, and I kept monitoring them.

How did you finance this deal?

Seller financing on 1, Hard Money on other 2 properties. 20% down on each of the two hard money loans, with rehab included.

How did you add value to the deal?

Adding HVAC, paint, and minor kitchen repairs.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I made the offer prior to seeing the properties - preparing to buy long distance (we're 1.5 hrs away). In the middle of negotiation, I low balled the seller out of fear I was paying too much. We were then stalled for 3 weeks. I came back up and got it back on track. There's also a potential electrical challenge - breaker boxes that were recalled. Working on a plan with electrician to figure it out.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Heather Listar is a trooper. She's got experience working with investors, hard money lenders, and as a property manager. She always hustling to find deals and working for her clients.

1Reply
20 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Germany and Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 108 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    @Robert Clifford Congrats on your success. Your story gives me motivation and hope. Small MFH is also my dream. I was shooting for max purchase price of $150k because I don't have such a high down payment, but from your story, it reminded me that perhaps I shouldn't limit my search to $150k since other financing strategies are possible. Was the seller willing to seller finance from the beginning or did you have to talk the seller into it?

  • Robert CliffordPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Hi Dolly.  I asked about seller financing on the first inquiry, and the answer was no.  When I figured out my offer, I presented it in a way that instead of financing 100%, or even 80%, he was only financing around 38%.  We set it up for a 2 year period, when a balloon payment is due.  payments are interest only.  I'll need to refi the hard money loans anyway, so I can do all at the same time, after a period for rehab and rent increase.  My limited expereicne in asking for seller financing, is when I ask, the answer is no.  When i propose something, they often are willing to negotiate if they own it outright.  I've not figured out yet how to present a wrap around mortgage in an easy way to sellers who still have a note.

    Let me know if you have any more questions.

  • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Robert Clifford I really like that last tip you just gave about approaching seller financing, I'm not sure why, but that really gave me an ah-ha moment. Don't just ask for seller financing outright, instead put some thought into how you present it, come to them with the whole deal laid out and explain how it is a benefit to them. At least that is what I took away when I read your last comment, let me know if I have misinterpreted! 

  • Robert CliffordPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed - Yes, you are picking up what I'm putting down!  It was the same ah-ha moment for me, and why I wanted to share this transaction.  I still think asking about it in someway is valuable at the outset, or at least asking if the seller owns outright or something like that.  The answer can give you some insight into motivation for selling.

    BTW - we used to live in Arlington/Falls Church.  You live in a fun area!

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 479 votes
    7y

    @Robert Clifford love the creativity! congrats on all your success

  • Robert CliffordPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Scott Morongell  Thanks.  Hoping to have a few more like this.  It was fun to figure out, took a little bit to execute, and now reaping the rewards.

  • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Robert Clifford Well thanks for sharing your experience and that valuable lesson! 

    Your are correct, I really have enjoyed northern Virginia since I moved here. Ironically enough, I went to school in Charleston and have spent sometime in Greenville, I much prefer the South Carolina winters!

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2018 · 335 posts · 251 votes
    7y

    Great find, and creative acquisition! Congrats and good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 589 posts · 275 votes
    7y
    @Robert Clifford did you have a connection or prior business relationship with the hard money lender(s) that you used to get these deals funded?
  • Robert CliffordPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @mike g.  No, I didn’t. I’m finding for me that it’s like I keep hearing on BP.  Call and call and call, ask everyone for lenders, and call and call and call. I think I ran across the one I used, 5 Arch Group, on BP, but I can’t say for sure. My lending profile has some weaknesses, but I know what those are. It makes it easy to have quick calls with lenders before wasting time. It also helped me practice my pitch, and also interview them. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.