First Investment Property

First Investment Property

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 37 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

My first rental property, it is an out of state turnkey property. I live in California but this property is in North Little Rock, AR. I used this purchase to get my feet wet and as a confidence builder. Plan on buying MFHs from here on out.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I was new and didn't really know much. My local REIA group had a team in place already and were willing to guide me through the process of buying my first property. They look the time to answer all of my questions and go over things when I was confused. Starting with a SFH seemed like the easiest way to get started, but now I know that all transactions require the same steps (for the most part), even though the number of units may be different.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

My local REIA group works with turnkey providers throughout the country. I was given the opportunity to purchase one of the properties they were offering and jumped on it.

How did you finance this deal?

I used a conventional 30 year mortgage with a 20% down payment.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I can definitely go out and find deals on my own after the hours of self-education I put in after signing the purchase agreement. I learned that MFHs are definitely the better route in my opinion. I know that real estate is not as difficult as people think it is, as long as you educate yourself and put in the work to understand what you are doing. There were no major difficulties with this property being that it was turnkey.

4Reply
102 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 14 votes
7y

Market in Arkansas is great! Congrats on purchasing your first property! While I am less familiar with the real estate market in Little Rock I am still very familiar with the area personally as it is where I went to college. Currently I am doing business in Jonesboro and NEA and its booming, there are great investment opportunities popping up all the time in every price range. Regardless of your goals or interest whether it be turn key single family rentals, buy flip and sell, fix up and rent, or multifamily. Opportunities pop up all the time here in this market and I would be happy to share that info with anyone who is interested!

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 530 posts · 398 votes
    7y
    @Yusef Griffin congrats on the first deal! Would you be looking at the same market for the second?
  • Rental Property Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @Yusef Griffin congrats & thanks for sharing this story.
  • Rental Property Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @Yusef Griffin how would you connect with local REIA group to find thesedeals. Do they have a website? Or a personal introduction is the way to go. Is there a way new one investor can get this introduction? Thanks
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Hadar Orkibi Yes, I did get an appraisal.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Richard Lovering Yea, I definitely need to do that!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Bjorik Mutize I am moving to Tallahassee next year, so right now I want to focus on MFH in that area. But once I am settled in FL, I will definitely looking back to Little Rock and maybe even Memphis because they are relatively close to each other. But yes, I want to build my portfolio in Little Rock to at least 4-5 properties.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Mustafa Mo I was talking to one of my Marines about my interest in real estate and how I wanted to invest one day. I had no education in real estate and I was just talking about my wants and dreams. The Marine I was talking to was already going to the REIA group meetings and she said I should start to go as well. She reached out to the group and they said I was welcomed to join. In the podcasts Josh and Brandon talk about telling everyone what you do, or what you would like to do. I think that is true, because if I didn't talk about real estate to this person, I probably would not be involved in real estate right now. I was in the group for about a year and told them I was ready to buy my first property, and they gave me a list of properties they had available. This is the only REIA group I've been apart of, and I know they are all different. My property was turnkey, and most turnkey companies have a website with their contact info.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 67 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    @Yusef Griffin I live and Tally and once you get settled we should connect. Congrats on the 1st one!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Michael Walton Will do!!

  • Madisonville, LA · Member since 2018 · 125 posts · 71 votes
    7y
    @Yusef Griffin Congrats man! You are right you learn a ton by getting in the game. You can read all you want, which greatly helps, but that experience is the game changer. I'm about to close on my 3rd investment property and I learned so much on those first two. A lot I did really well and alot really poorly lol. So you learn alot about your strengths and weaknesses, how you can improve and what you should leave to others lol. But that experience is huge and sounds like you have a solid gameplan!!
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @David H. Congrats !! You are 100% right. Can't wait to get deal #2 under my belt!!

  • Jamaica, NY · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    @Yusef Griffin congratulations on your first deal.
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Shaune Faust Thank you!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.