My first Duplex- FHA House Hack Case Study with Tips

My first Duplex- FHA House Hack Case Study with Tips

Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes

I have now been living in my FHA-purchased duplex for 6 months, and I wanted to share the story to encourage those who have been waiting on the sidelines stuck trying to figure out how to get started. If you read the forums and blogs on BiggerPockets often, you will no doubt have read many folks touting the FHA 2/3/4 unit ‘house hack' as the best way to get started in real estate. I am here to reiterate this point with a case study of my experience over the past year where I purchased my first duplex.

My first purchase after getting settled into a nice 9-5 job, like many people, was a single family home that was near the top of my price point ability, which crippled my ability to save money for outside investments. Many people fall for this trap, and I was in it. I purchased this home in 2012 and lived there for 5 years. After reading on BP for years, in 2016 I knew it was time to get in gear and make some important decisions and moves. I searched for a 2/3/4 unit for a while, but could not find anything in my area that met my criteria and also was in a location where I wanted to reside. Even though I could not find anything then, I knew I at least needed to sell my current home to get the ball rolling. I ended up selling my single family home in 2017, and moved into a rental until I was able to find a suitable multi-family. I planned to be there temporarily while searching, and purposefully entered into a month to month agreement so I could move out as soon as I found a small multifamily to buy and move into.

During this timeframe, while I do have a nice 9-5 job in a corporate environment, I made the effort to go to the classes and pass the state test required to get my real estate license. I knew this would help me in my quest for a multifamily, and also I would be able to do a couple of transactions a year for friends which would cover my yearly fee’s.

I now had access to the MLS and was ready to pounce when a good multifamily hit the market… I waited and waited for one to pop into my pre-set auto email MLS search… nothing. After waiting for over a year, I took advice from BP and did a mini off market mailing campaign. This was not hard and was accomplished in less than 5 hours of labor. I scrubbed the county auditors website and made a list of 60 properties from 2-4 units that I was interested in. I printed out letters, and hand wrote addresses on the envelopes (good *TIP* from BP for higher open rate. This would be time consuming on a larger campaign, but 60 was easily manageable). After dropping the letters in the mailbox, I knew I had taken an easy step forward in my quest. After 1 week, I received about 8 phone calls from the 60 that were sent out. I filtered out the one’s with high asking prices, and ended up viewing 3 in person.

One of the duplexes had been owned by the same owners for 40 years, the husband had managed the property for the entirety up until he passed away 5 years ago. His wife had moved in and was managing the other side with the help of her son. They called me up and said that they were thinking of listing the place in the next few months and that my letter arrived at the perfect time. Score! After viewing twice, I began the negotiations with her son who happened to previously work for a mortgage division at a bank. I was not looking to low-ball this sweet old lady in order to get the property for a steal, but was willing to make a fair offer for a nicely kept place that would suit my needs and was in a great location.

This duplex was in a row of 7 other identical properties, the one next door having sold two years prior. A comparable was easy, and a price was settled upon. The next door property had sold for 165k two years prior, was not nearly as nice on the interior, and this property had a larger lot size. The seller had also spent $20k 4 years prior to have some updates done to the kitchens and baths. Since the property was off market, and I have my license, I was able to leverage myself a little bit as she was not having to pay any realtor fees, which would have amounted to roughly 10k. While making my offer, I made sure to mention that if they had listed the property on the market, they would have to ask about 10k more in order to make up the cost of realtor fees. We settled on 180k with 5k back in seller paid closing costs. Structuring the price point a tinch higher, while including closing costs and prepaid fees, is a good way to minimize cash outlay required for the purchase. *TIP* This extra money for closing costs is 5k less out of your pocket that is rolled into a 30 year loan at a low interest rate, definitely a good strategy to use to minimize the cash needed to close.

The transaction went smooth with the bank. The appraisal came in at 175k. I did attempt to ask them to come down and meet me halfway, but it was reasonable that they did not want to since I had worked 5k of closing costs in. We agreed to 175k with no closing cost assistance. *TIP* I purposely set the closing date for the 5th of the month and here is why. My mortgage payment would not be due until the 1st of the month, while I would receive pro-rated rent from the tenant for the 5th-31st. This helps to minimize cash required at closing as a credit is given back for the rent that had been payed to the seller for that month. I closed with about 10k required out of pocket including the down payment of 3.5% and closing costs.

$10,000 was it!

I was now the owner of a solid 1964 brick 3 bed 2 bath (each unit) duplex with a 2 car garage in a very solid location. Central air on both sides, full basements, concrete driveway, extra lot for parking, it was a great property for me to cut my teeth on. Being an FHA owner occupied loan, I was required to move into the property and stay for one year. My plan is to satisfy this requirement and purchase my next home at that mark and move out, leaving both units open to rent. I will keep this as an investment property for a long time. If I had attempted to make this purchase with a conventional loan, generally requiring 20% down, I would have been out of pocket around 40k. This avenue of purchasing a first investment property with an FHA loan, in my opinion, cannot be beat.

While I did inherit a tenant in the open side, she decided to move out after 1 month of me owning the property. (she was a friend of the seller and was paying below market rent anyway). I did not have any major repairs to perform, mostly just cleaning. I have since placed a new tenant in the other unit, and while the rent does not cover my entire monthly payment, it is a very large chunk of it.

The top level numbers:

30 YR FHA loan rate: 5.25%

Purchase price $175,000

Monthly PITI+FHA MIP (principal, interest, tax, insurance, FHA mortgage insurance premium): $1375

Rent: $1075

I am now essentially paying $300 a month for the cost of living in my unit. Once I move out, the monthly rent will be $2150.

After gaining 20% in equity, my plan is to refinance out of the FHA loan which will rid the monthly FHA PMI cost of $140, taking my payment down to $1235.

The in depth numbers that nobody talks about (except the realists on BP):

Monthly rent: $2150

Monthly PITI+FHA PMI: $1375

Expense estimates: $560 (details below)

  1. Capital expenditures (roof, HVAC, etc) @ 8%: $172
  2. Maintenance (repairs, leaks, etc) @ 5%: $108
  3. Vacancy @ 5%: $108
  4. Property Mgmt @ 8%: $172

    (all utilities, trash, lawn care, and snow removal are tenant responsibilities. These must be accounted for if the owner is responsible for paying them and are easily missed)

While I self-manage for now to save money, including the management cost is important because eventually I will want to hire this out. If you do not include this number and plan to self-manage forever, you are basically buying yourself a new job with each property you purchase. The investment needs to stand on its own, and so this number should be included.

Rent minus all expenses including debt service: $215 monthly cash flow.

After refinancing out of FHA and MIP this should increase to $355 monthly cash flow.

There you have it! Easy as pie :)

Lessons learned:

  • Don't wait for the market to provide easily picked properties from the MLS. Do the work to seek out potential off market properties. My county auditor's site had a great reporting structure which allowed me to export my search results into excel. 5 hours of labor and $50 for materials and my letters were sent.
  • I waited years before taking action, it turned out to not be hard at all. I read and read on BP, but never did anything with my newly gained knowledge and waited for something to fall in my lap. Get out there and make something happen, don’t let fear stop you.
  • Even though my numbers turned out good, if you are using FHA and moving into a property, don't let decent numbers slip away while waiting for the perfect deal. If you are paying rent currently, and can get into a duplex property where your portion is way less than that amount, then you are saving money comparatively. The 2% rule is a unicorn in many markets for a property that is going to be nice enough for you to want to move in yourself and your family.
  • Getting my real estate license was not hard, just time consuming on the front end. Even if you acquire it and only work as an agent for a year or two, you will gain an immense amount of knowledge on the process. At the least, become friends with a real estate or title agent who can help you understand the process and can refer you to other professionals that you might need along the way.
  • Don't let MIP/PMI scare you away from an FHA loan. Yes, this insurance premium is an extra monthly cost that you would not incur if you put 20% down and go conventional, but the tenants are going to be paying it for you. Getting a 3.5% down loan, at near historic low interest rates, is one of the best ways out there to get started. A borrowed quote: Don't wait to buy real estate, buy real estate and wait.

Thank you BiggerPockets!

213Reply
1,688 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 9 votes
7y

Very detailed and Motivational! Thank you for sharing!! 

See this reply in the discussion

248 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Owensboro, KY · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Wow, this is literally me right now. Don't have much cash to put down and start but we are trying to sell our house and buy a duplex to move into right now. I currently have an FHA loan on my house that I am selling so I can't do another FHA loan. So I considering a personal loan(with higher interest, 9-11%) and then paying that off with the equity when I sell my current home and go from there.

  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I appreciate the insight as I'm considering doing the same when we move next year. I am scared of PMI. I have always tried to avoid this in the past. If you're in the position where you could afford conventional financing to avoid the PMI, would you do it? I guess that you're just paying a premium for paying less up front. What would the opportunity cost of that extra down payment be? I guess that's what it would come down to, whether you thought you could get a better return than what the PMI premium would be. Although the tenants are paying it, they'd be paying you instead if you could avoid the PMI.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Brower Thanks for sharing the story with so much detail and facts. It is very helpful and inspiring. Thank you, and congrats!!!

  • Investor · Port Hueneme, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 8 votes
    7y

    Major score, Jeff.  Congratulations.  I'm originally from Euclid OH (your neighbor) and now live in Los Angeles.  I bought my first property (a duplex) for 200K in 1985.  I've since sold it, but I think it's now prolley worth at least 1M.  I 1031'd to a 14 unit in Hollywood and then to a 72 unit apartment complex in Austin, TX.  Now that was real score because the Austin RE prices went through the roof.  I just sold the apartment building and instead of buying more units (couldn't find one with a decent cap rate anywhere)  I bought 25 houses free and clear and a series of 4-plexes in an outlying area of Austin near a resort area.  My net worth has gone from $40K to 7M in thirty years.  Slow but steady wins the race.

  • Lender · Tampa/Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2014 · 356 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Brower - Congratulations! That is so exciting that you've made your first purchase! I'm sure it feels great to finally be achieving what you set out to do. I am reading through tons of information now and am ready for the next steps (in which I wasn't too sure what the next steps were until reading this article). I do plan to do what you have done by sending out letters - thank you for that information. I also plan on getting my license as well... thanks for sharing. Congrats :)

  • Property Manager · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2016 · 182 posts · 51 votes
    7y

    Great post Jeff.  Thanks for sharing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Allentown PA, United States · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 442 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Brower congrats Jeff, looks like you did an awesome job hustling to get the property and operating it well. I'm curious though, what criteria did you use to form your list form your county website? Was it simply 2-4 unit properties? Or were they tax deliquent, in pre-forclosure, or another metric for seller motivation?

    Also, did you just mail to the property addresses you were considering? Or skip trace to find the name and current addresses of the property owners you were trying to reach?

  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Awesome info. Thanks for sharing! My wife and I are trying to get into a house hack. I love that you decided to do direct mail marketing to find deals when there seemingly were none. 

  • Specialist · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Very inspirational and educational post. Thanks for sharing your investment approach and insight. May you continue to prosper. 

  • Norfolk Virginia · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Brower Thanks so much for sharing your story in such detail. I’m encouraged to make my first purchase in 2019.

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    7y

    @Bill Goodland The list was not foreclosure, pre-foreclosure, etc. Simply the properties that were zoned 2-4 units. The auditors site has the property address but also the mailing address. I just sent them to the mailing address, 80% were different than the actual property address as you would expect. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    7y

    @Charles Quentin Pace I would do it again with FHA and pay PMI, even having the funds for conventional. This allows you to keep the other 16.5% (based on 20% down conventional) as cash in your pocket. That can be applied as a down payment toward the next property which should make a better return than what the PMI is costing. I am not worried too much about the PMI, the tenants are paying it.

    @Jim Swanson I very much agree with you about that scenario. I was going to mention that but wanted to keep the original post entry level basic. In 5ish years when I have 20% built up the interest rates may very well be high enough to negate the gain I would receive from a refinance into conventional. When I get to that point I will have to weigh the monthly savings, if any, vs the cost of the refi. You're right, even keeping the PMI it is over $100 per door so I am happy. As rent increases over the years through inflation my delta should only increase. A 30 year note is a great hedge against inflation. Thanks for the kind words.

  • Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Brower Wow Jeff great post! I'm very glad to hear your first duplex purchase was a success. Congrats on having the courage and discipline to do what you had to do selling your house in order to get the multi-family ball rolling!

  • Architect · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 160 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Brower This was great! I've gotta get on those mailers. Your point about not waiting (read dragging your feet) for the perfect deal while plenty of decent deals could help to lower your monthly rent really hit home. 

    Thanks again for the share!

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 260 posts · 145 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Brower amazing post. The information was so useful and nicely laid out.  Most people do not have enough detail with the numbers.  Can I ask a question , what’s the county auditors website have on it. At first I thought forclosures but then you said the owner was going to put the house in the market but she got your letter just in time. So what are you finding on the county auditors website that shows you sellers that havnt put the house on the market yet? I think my question was answered above actually. So these are just properties zoned 2-3 units and you mailed the owners just Incase they were thinking of selling?  thank you! Also do you know how I can address this stuff from my county , Montgomery county PA?

  • Newark, CA · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    @Jeff Brower Thank you for this post Jeff extremely helpful!
  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    So after the year of living in the duplex and moving out ,can you use another fha loan to Buy another  duplex 

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    7y

    @Douglas Gratz you are correct, I just happened to get lucky on the timing. If your county does not have a searchable site, then you should be able to go to the zoning/building department in your county and search the list in person. Here is my local auditors site for an example: 

    http://www.lake.iviewauditor.com/

  • Allentown, PA · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 20 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Brower:

    @Account Closed absolutely. There is no real advantage in being an agent besides the fact that you can get by without paying a commission and can view homes yourself. Zillow is a good way to look, but if you are serious you should reach out to an agent who can set you up on an mls auto search email that will alert you immediately when a home pops up that meets your criteria. Zillow will post new homes within a couple of hours of being on the mls, but lags behind in updating when homes go under contract or sell. You could think some are still active when they have been in contract for weeks. 

     Thank you , sir. Good to know. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Allentown PA, United States · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 442 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Brower:

    @Bill Goodland The list was not foreclosure, pre-foreclosure, etc. Simply the properties that were zoned 2-4 units. The auditors site has the property address but also the mailing address. I just sent them to the mailing address, 80% were different than the actual property address as you would expect. 

     Gotcha, thanks for the reply. That's great your area has that. I know certain things are public record, but I have tried doing similar searches in my area and know that some people are buying lists and then paying again to skip trace the owners addresses.

  • Real Estate Agent · Springfield, MO · Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    This is a fantastic story and about as simple and safe as you can get as an investor.  You gotta have a place to live and might as well have someone help you pay for it while you build up your nest egg to be ready to invest in other properties.  Very great way to get your financial future going.  Thanks for sharing.

  • Monroe, NC · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Awesome

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    7y

    @Gilbert Polendo You can only have one FHA loan at a time, so you cannot do a second unless you refinance out of the FHA loan on your first property. To do this, however, you will have had to accumulate over 20% equity that is normally required for conventional loans. If you find a great deal or a fixer upper to buy and move into with FHA for a year you may be able to refinance out of it after the first year and do it again. One caveat is that most homes need to be in a decently habitable condition in order to qualify for FHA, so extreme fixer uppers may not even qualify.

  • Dana Point, CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Nice post, Jeff! Well written. Appreciate the detail provided. All the best to you as you grow your portfolio! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    7y

    @John G Sarley You sir are an inspiration. I would definitely like to scale up like you did. I work in Richmond Heights at the county airport, even closer to Euclid. Great to hear your story in a nutshell and have something to aspire too. Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.