1st Investment Property at 23 Years Old.

1st Investment Property at 23 Years Old.

Property Manager · Athens, GA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 4 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment in Athens.

Purchase price: $110,000
Cash invested: $3,675

I purchased this as my first deal at 23 years old. I am currently house-hacking the space. This means I live in one side, and lease out the other. The monthly rent from my leased unit covers my mortgage allowing me to live rent free.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I wanted to live rent free. In order to accomplish this, I decided to purchase the property and house-hack it.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I found this deal through a zillow advertisement. I was able to negotiate a price I felt comfortable with through phone calls, listing agents, etc. I was also able to raise the purchase price, but agree for the seller to cover my closing costs. This allowed me to put less money down and finance the closing costs into my loan.

How did you finance this deal?

I financed this deal through and FHA loan for owner occupancy.

2Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
7y

That's smart! Way to go, Parker.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    That's smart! Way to go, Parker.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Awesome man! I purchased my first investment property when I was 25. Glad to know about other young people out there buying properties.

  • Oklahoma City · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Nice job @Parker Shaw! How did you decide on a market to invest in?

  • Property Manager · Athens, GA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Hughes Thank you! I began working full time for a property management company in Athens, Georgia directly after graduation in May, 2018. The city is a college town for the University of Georgia, so I focus primarily on student housing. Our clients are all Athens property owners so the transition into this market was a natural step for me. Thank you for asking I hope that was helpful. 

  • Property Manager · Athens, GA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Morris Redd Thank you, Morris!

  • Realtor · Athens, GA · Member since 2017 · 336 posts · 123 votes
    7y

    @Parker Shaw Hello and welcome! I saw that property on the MLS glad someone was able to make sense out of it! At least it looks similar. Congrats on your first one! Also, I saw you were looking for a REIA in Macon, can't help you out there. However, I run one In Athens if you're looking to connect with like-minded people.

    Also, do you know of anyone looking to offload a larger multi-family unit? I Have a lot of buyers looking. Thank in advance! 

  • Property Manager · Athens, GA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Georgui Kasaev Thank you for reaching out. I would be happy to connect with your group here in Athens! What are your meeting days and location? I will keep you updated on ay large multi-family deals that I hear of. Thanks for the welcome. 

  • Realtor · Athens, GA · Member since 2017 · 336 posts · 123 votes
    7y

    @Parker Shaw We would be happy to have you. We meet every last Thursday of the month.  And usually, we meet at a local bar in Athens. The details can be found in the meetups section of bigger pockets. I can also message you a link to our events on facebook this way you get reminders. I'll do that now.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.