Four Unit Deal Analysis...ready... set... comment...

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 255 posts · 248 votes
7y
Originally posted by @Chris Taylor:

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

 Looked decent at a quick glance, but you're missing one big piece.

Property Management.

I recommend factoring in property management into your initial numbers even if you're planning on self-managing. Your time and involvement are important, and would cost you if you tried to hire it out someday.

You're also leaving out lawncare, the grass will need cut regularly and if the property is in Cleveland, I would estimate 18 cuts per year.

Garbage - is this part of city services or are you having to lease out a dumpster? If leasing, I would factor in $120 for something like a 4 yarder.

Add in these factors and see how your returns look, whether it still fits your investment profile. Building looks good in the picture.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    @Caleb Heimsoth

    His quote just covers loss up to a certain amount. It’s does not cover replacement value. Like I said, I have to look into it more. Replacement cost insurance on this particular property is $200 versus $100 per month. I’m rounding but from what the agent told me it’s about double what a landlord policy is. I cannot speak on what lenders require but I will definitely inquire when I get to that point. Thanks for sharing your experience.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Taylor:

    @Caleb Heimsoth

    His quote just covers loss up to a certain amount. It’s does not cover replacement value. Like I said, I have to look into it more. Replacement cost insurance on this particular property is $200 versus $100 per month. I’m rounding but from what the agent told me it’s about double what a landlord policy is. I cannot speak on what lenders require but I will definitely inquire when I get to that point. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    Underwrite the deal with the higher premium because I can almost guarantee it your bank will require it.  Every bank I’ve ever talked to including portfolio lenders require that.

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    @Caleb Heimsoth

    Oh I’m not offering on the deal. I decided against it. It doesn’t fit my short term goals. Thanks for the heads up.

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    @Caleb Heimsoth

    You should connect with @Damon Rucker.  He contacted my agent and sent me this...

    Damon Rucker Sent 6 hours ago

    Dude. This was a major money saver for me!!! I called him today! Thanks for the referral!

    I think there must be some reason that your lender or insurer will not insure you for just ACV (actual cash value or market value) and I would find out what that reason is.  I also talked to another investor I work with yesterday.  He has multiple properties with mortgages all insured for a little over what the ACV is.  This way if something happens he pays of the mortgage, recoups his initial investment, and still puts some money in his pocket.    

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Chris Taylor

    Hi Chris,

    I saw that you decided not to offer for this property but I had a few questions since I am analyzing a few multi-family properties in the PNW area. You mentioned that you used actual expense numbers for monthly expenses ($1,716.38) but I noticed that you also had a section that had a 50% rule for expenses (1097.50) + mortgage/interest payments of (599.55) = 1697.05. Trying to get some clarification on the discrepancy of numbers. 

    Other than that, great analysis and great feedback from people.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Appears to be a good deal and great cap.  I think you can get mortgage less than 6%. Commercial is about 5% ish right now.

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    @Henry Shen

    The 50% rule is just a quick calculation that some investors use to quickly estimate cash flow without doing a full analysis. I use the BiggerPockets rental calculator and enter in actual expenses or at least to the best of my ability. BiggerPockets automatically adds the 50% rule to the end of the analysis to give you another comparison. There's an article somewhere on BiggerPockets that explains the reasoning in more detail. But basically what they are saying is that over time you spend 50% of your gross rental income on expenses not including your PITI. So you take your gross rental income, divide by 2 then subtract your PITI and that is your estimated cash flow. I would use that because as you can see it can vary from actual expenses. But it also gives you and idea if you're estimating your expenses too low.

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    @Sam Shueh

    It is a decent deal. Just doesn’t fit my short term plan. I would not gain equity quickly enough since it is turnkey so my money would be tied up for longer than I would like. For my first investment I would like to have some forced equity to roll into the next purchase.

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    @Sam Shueh

    Correction to the above post. I wouldn’t use the 50% rule to determine the cashflow of a property but it helps determine how you are judging your expenses.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.