First Investment Went Very Well... Now I'm Addicted

First Investment Went Very Well... Now I'm Addicted

Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $215,000
Cash invested: $2,500

Owner occupied (aka house hack) duplex built in 2006. Bought with live in tenant.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Less living expenses with roommate, girlfriend, and tenant paying for mortgage. Also, it was my first deal.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Found through real estate agent. Starting price was $260,000 and talked seller down to $215,000.

How did you finance this deal?

Financed with $0 down VA home loan.

How did you add value to the deal?

Fixed leaky faucets, replaced dish washer parts, and fixed torn carpets for tenants shortly after moving in.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Don't put closing and moving in on the calendar for the same day.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Max McGee of Grossman Group and Patrick Bailey from Freedom Mortgage. They both own their own real estate and helped navigate me through the bad deals and taught me so much.

0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    > Less living expenses with roommate, girlfriend, and tenant paying for mortgage. Also, it was my first deal.

    I hope you gave your girlfriend a discount at least!

    > Don't put closing and moving in on the calendar for the same day.

    Absolutely. Leave yourself a few days to clean things up, patch holes in walls, repaint rooms as needed, stuff like that. Get the place ready to live in before you actually live in it!

    Congratulations on this deal. What's up next for you?

  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Taylor L. I've been saving up more money to pay for the next deal. I'm about to refinance and hunt down my next deal. Ideally I would like a tri plex or four plex.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.