Main House and Guest House close to UofA

Main House and Guest House close to UofA

Lender · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 7 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment in Tucson.

Purchase price: $140,000
Cash invested: $123,000
Sale price: $330,000

BRRRR, Refinance in progress at $330,000 resulting in about $400 ($200/unit) in passive income after money is pulled out.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Bigger Pockets podcasts and reading

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Found the deal on the MLS. Asking was $179,000 negotiated to $140,000.

How did you finance this deal?

Private money financed

How did you add value to the deal?

Complete remodel of both utilities and cosmetics. If I were to do this deal all over again I would treat my contractors different by giving them specific tasks, getting multiple quotes on specific tasks, and create a through vetting system for contractors. Because there was so much work to be completed I received quotes on the entire scope and it made it difficult to compare apples to apples.

What was the outcome?

I spent more than I should have on rehab costs paying contractors. The deal is still profitable but I wasn't able to pull every last dollar out of the deal.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Contractor relationships; vetting, incorporating contractor signed timelines with penalties, bidding job for job (more time intensive but easier to keep on schedule and easier to watch expenses), receive a per unit labor cost for better future job estimation.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I worked with an agent/broker who is awesome, Zach Samorano @ Hot Casa Real Estate. He is a Tucson local born and raised, has extensive connections, knows the business, owns investments, is a family man with a solid moral compass.

Jesus Montoy with Montoy's custom cabinets. Super meticulous, always on time with timelines, hard worker, fair, trustworthy, great value system, family man, and reliable.

Fernando Galindo framer/licensed contractor is super trustworthy and fair.

0Reply
26 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks for posting these details, very interesting. How long did it take to complete the rehab and what type of financing did you find for the re-fi? When you initially got the deal how did you find the private money lender?

  • Lender · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    My apologies for the late response @David Abeytia. It took a little over a year for the rehab. A LOT longer than I would have preferred. But we learn and we grow. There were definitely a lot of inefficiencies. If I were to do it all over again there are a laundry list of changes I would have made. The greatest thing about everything is, I have the opportunity to make those changes now. 

    I was lucky enough to pull money together from family and offer a conservative return. The refi is an 80% loan to value conventional loan. If you have any other questions feel free to reach out. 

    Have you done any recent deals flips in Tucson? I would love to hear about your experience and find out how we can help each other grow. 

    Best Regards,

    Mark

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.