Property won’t sell!!!

Property won’t sell!!!

Flipper/Rehabber · Covington, GA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes

I have a property that's a 4 bedroom 3 1/2 bathroom sitting on 4100 sqft. We got the property under market value and the ARV is $355,000 and is a class A property with 3000-5000 dollars worth of repairs and have it listed for $260,000. I have buyers but they wasn't interested is something I'm missing?

3Reply
83 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Thaddeus Goodgame:

@Mike M. Okay I really appreciate this so much I was all off

Here's a clue that will help. When you have a property you want to get an ARV for, go to Redfin.com and put in the zip code. Them zoom in to the neighborhood. Then click on "More Filters" then change the "For Sale" to off, "Sold" to on and set the time for the "Last 6 Months" click on "Apply Filters" - and change from "Photos" to "Table" this will give you all sort of Sold properties to compare to get your ARV. Try to pick properties that are within half a mile and don't cross a major street, river, or other barrier.

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Post the address or link and we can critique the listing.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Thaddeus Goodgame how did you arrive at your rehab estimate and ARV?

    Do you have an appraisal and bids from contractors?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Covington, GA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Russell Brazil 4406 Alpine ct SNELLVILLE ga

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Thaddeus Goodgame:

    @Russell Brazil 4406 Alpine ct SNELLVILLE ga

     Well the property has been off the market since July 9th, so that might be a good indication.

  • Rental Property Investor · Shakopee, MN · Member since 2015 · 985 posts · 374 votes
    7y

    Really tough to say without knowing more details  For that that little of repairs it seems strange to me.

    It's possible houses in that area don't sell very fast, maybe the buyer didn't have the cash or feel the investment was worth it.  Or maybe they saw something in the property that changed their mind about owning it.

    It looks like it has been on and off the market a few times in the last year. Perhaps the ARV is way too high?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Covington, GA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Brent Paul that’s what I was thinking I had everything in place and just went quiet after that from buyer

  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    7y

    Correct me if I am wrong but if there's only up to 5k worth of repairs....why wouldn't you do it? Capture the full ARV. After commissions and closing costs (given your PP/Repairs/ARV), you could potentially net 60k. Something doesn't add up. Check your numbers again.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Covington, GA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Jason D. We ran comps with an realtor and he pulled a full analysis on the home and looked into the area for price per sqft in that area for things that needed repairs and came up with a great analysis for the buyers and they just went quiet

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Thaddeus Goodgame:

    I have a property that's a 4 bedroom 3 1/2 bathroom sitting on 4100 sqft. We got the property under market value and the ARV is $355,000 and is a class A property with 3000-5000 dollars worth of repairs and have it listed for $260,000. I have buyers but they wasn't interested is something I'm missing?

    How did you arrive at your ARV of $355,000?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Covington, GA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Nik S. Okay I will, I mean it wouldn’t hurt

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Covington, GA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Mike M. I was working with an realtor and he pulled houses that sold from his property analysis now someone else asked me to look on Zillow or Redfin is that what people go off of? Because I was told it could be off.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Thaddeus Goodgame where are these comps? I dont see a single house sold in that area over $300k. There is one house listed now for $355k, and it would he a miracle to see at that price in that neighborhood.

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Thaddeus Goodgame:

    @Mike M. I was working with an realtor and he pulled houses that sold from his property analysis now someone else asked me to look on Zillow or Redfin is that what people go off of? Because I was told it could be off.

    Redfin and especially Zillow can be off but everybody looks online before they go out to the property. If they see a value of $279,900 and you are saying the ARV is $355,000 they get confused as to which is closer to reality. Then they see that it was listed in the MLS since January so it obviously isn't worth whatever it was listed at. Your job is to figure out how to convey to investors why the property is worth your ARV before they get a chance to get confused by looking at other sources. If it truly is worth $355,000 give hard copy examples and paint a picture for them so they can see what you see.

    By the way, ARV is based on "Sold" properties that are similar, not based on "active" listings.

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Sounds like your realtor was off.
    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor · Vacaville, CA · Member since 2016 · 433 posts · 249 votes
    7y

    It's always about the price.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Covington, GA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Jason D. I just looked myself and see the same thing I don’t know what he sent me.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Covington, GA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Mike M. Okay I really appreciate this so much I was all off

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Covington, GA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Irish-Jones yes it does I really don’t know what happened and I’m just trying to get it together I need to go back to square 1 and learn this

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Thaddeus Goodgame:

    @Mike M. Okay I really appreciate this so much I was all off

    Here's a clue that will help. When you have a property you want to get an ARV for, go to Redfin.com and put in the zip code. Them zoom in to the neighborhood. Then click on "More Filters" then change the "For Sale" to off, "Sold" to on and set the time for the "Last 6 Months" click on "Apply Filters" - and change from "Photos" to "Table" this will give you all sort of Sold properties to compare to get your ARV. Try to pick properties that are within half a mile and don't cross a major street, river, or other barrier.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Covington, GA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Mike M. Perfect that’s what I’m thinking

  • Drew McCluskeyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Rolla, MO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Thaddeus Goodgame make sure you get your listing on market. On Zillow it says it isn’t for sale, same with Redfin, Homes.com, and Realtor.com. That kills your visibility. Also you should get some more photos up. I can’t tell how nice the house is by just seeing the outside. Your descriptions are great, but change it to a for sale status and add some pictures.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pearl City, HI · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Just gonna add my 2cents here but I personally believe pictures are very important when selling a home. When you list a home, you want to make a good impression to the buyer. No one wants to waste their time (and money) making an appointment to see a home without having some idea of what they are walking into.

    I recently put my apartment up for sale and made sure I followed the listing; double checked what the agent put for the description. All he put was 'Great for first time homebuyer or investment'. Didnt mention about how close it was to the freeway, shopping center or schools.

    As someone who is investing out of state, these things are even more important.

  • Real Estate Agent · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Ash Leigh - what criteria did you use when hiring your agent? What’s up with posting a bare bones description like that? Even with my non flip properties I’m always trying to highlight the best like NEW Neutral Gray Paint! Spacious Kitchen with Bright White Refrigerator, Dishwasher, ....

  • Rental Property Investor · Pearl City, HI · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Natalie Schanne:

    @Ash Leigh - what criteria did you use when hiring your agent? What’s up with posting a bare bones description like that? Even with my non flip properties I’m always trying to highlight the best like NEW Neutral Gray Paint! Spacious Kitchen with Bright White Refrigerator, Dishwasher, ....

    Good question.  He was actually the realtor I used when purchasing my primary residence.  Finding a good realtor is difficult (in my opinion) and I needed to get the property on the market asap at the time.  I didn't what to spend the time meeting with other realtors and he was someone I already knew and had kept in touch with. 

    Not exactly sure what he was trying to accomplish when the made my listing but he was open to my suggestions and could have put a little bit more effort there - thinking back on it, he was probably lazy.  He did get some good pictures of my apartment, so that helped.   

    Unfortunately, I see many listings with one or two short sentences.  Some with no description at all.  It drives me NUTS! 

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Price and condition have to match demand. Likely you are priced too high and the ARV is wrong.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.