5-Unit Apartment Building in Van Nuys (Los Angeles), CA

5-Unit Apartment Building in Van Nuys (Los Angeles), CA

Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 300 votes

Investment Info:

Large multi-family (5+ units) buy & hold investment in Los Angeles.

Purchase price: $427,000
Cash invested: $100,000

I purchased this property in 2002, rehabbed it and have been able to raise rents to market over the years. I've pulled cash out to invest in flip projects. It's more than doubled in value since 2002. My plan is to hold it for the long haul as part of my retirement portfolio.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I learned from a friend of the owner that she was planning to sell it. Prior to this I had only done flips. I spent a weekend and read everything I could about apartment investing and then went for it using my own money and money borrowed (and paid back) from family for the down payment. I negotiated the deal directly with the seller. I analyzed comps and area cap rates applied to the NOI to determine value.

How did you add value to the deal?

Extensive exterior rehab including painting, new windows, gutters and roof repairs, and I took advantage of a city grant to remove the grass and install xeroscape landscape to reduce water consumption. I rehabbed units as tenants left and maximized rents. I did much of the work myself, major sweat equity.

What was the outcome?

Great! It's a cash cow and has more than doubled in value, LA is a crazy market. Glad I got in when I did, now it's too rich for me.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Run it like a business. I rely on prompt payment of rent because I have to pay the mortgage.
I accepted a Section 8 tenant at one point when I wasn't getting good response on a vacant unit. The program can be a pain to deal with and they definitely get into my business. The irony is I worked as an affordable housing development project manager for the LA Housing Authority for several years, which also runs the Section 8 Program.

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Dave FosterBusiness Member
Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6y

@Fay Chen, my two cents from experience.  States and municipalities handle sec 8 program and funds differently.  But one of my best tenants ever was a sec 8 tenant in FL.  The money from the program came directly to me.  The tenant only payed a fraction of the entire lease.  And it was a high market lease.  But if they didn't pay their rent they lost it all.  So their portion was always on time.  Losing that voucher was a great incentivizer for them to keep the property up and be a good neighbor to the other tenants.  And it was such a great esteem builder for her and her young children to have a place of their own.  

When the governing authority can treat it like a hand up instead of a hand out it is a very empowering experience for all.

The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 244 posts · 275 votes
    6y

    Sounds like a great investment! I am considering accepting Section 8 and/or other vouchers in a property I'm looking into in Texas. Would love to hear more about your experiences as both PM for the authority and a landlord.

  • Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 104 votes
    6y

    Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Peter! If you had to do it over again, would you do Section 8 or lower rent or what would you have done? I have a property I would like to sell and 1031 into something else. So I'm trying to figure out if I should look for a multi-family (5+ unit) in Los Angeles or multiple SFR + duplex out of state.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Fay Chen, my two cents from experience.  States and municipalities handle sec 8 program and funds differently.  But one of my best tenants ever was a sec 8 tenant in FL.  The money from the program came directly to me.  The tenant only payed a fraction of the entire lease.  And it was a high market lease.  But if they didn't pay their rent they lost it all.  So their portion was always on time.  Losing that voucher was a great incentivizer for them to keep the property up and be a good neighbor to the other tenants.  And it was such a great esteem builder for her and her young children to have a place of their own.  

    When the governing authority can treat it like a hand up instead of a hand out it is a very empowering experience for all.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2014 · 382 posts · 300 votes
    6y

    @Fay Chen

    @Jason Turgeon

    I agree with Dave that it's a good program and certainly needed, especially in areas like LA where rents have soared over the years and many people can't afford to live there and have to commute a long distance to job centers within the city. I think I just chose the wrong Sect.8 tenant: she beats the hell out of the unit, had an adult son living there who caused a bunch of problems around the building, had a dog when she wasn't supposed to, on and on. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.