1st Rental Investment in Minneapolis

1st Rental Investment in Minneapolis

Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 16 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $200,000
Cash invested: $6,000

First rental property purchased with value add potential; bathroom and bedroom addition, installing dishwasher, new driveway, shed addition, and wood flooring. This was financed via conventional mortgage.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Monthly cash flow, location, tenants, and ease of upcoming projects.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

MLS access and sent an offer after running it through my excel model.

How did you finance this deal?

Conventional financing with Cardinal Financial

How did you add value to the deal?

Adding bed & bathroom, dishwasher, flooring, new driveway, and shed.

What was the outcome?

Work in progress..

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Having friends as tenants is a difficult challenge to both be fair to them with rent, upgrades, and privacy as well maintaining the friendships.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Tyler Mulcahey with Cardinal Financial

3Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Owatonna, MN · Member since 2017 · 221 posts · 152 votes
    6y

    @Hank Walter congrats!

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    The tenants mentioned are friends of mine and this is a live-in rental that I am working the BRRR on. On a mix of Rehab/Rent. Plan to Re-fi after upgrades are complete and market is sound again, then use Re-do money to upgrade to a small apartment (4-8 units) and use this as my headquarters and live with real estate friends. I know I'm missing on insanely low rates but only purchased it back in 9/2019.

    Update on the Property:

    - Originally moved in 3 tenants (A, K, and A1). Tenant A1 moves in, signed lease after reviewing it the night prior.

    - Tenants A & K are boyfriend/girlfriend and essentially have the entire basement floor. A & K have two cats that I have met many times prior at their previous residence. After consulting with their lawyer (no idea why, standard lease), they wanted the pet section more specific and didn’t sign yet. After I a week I had finished the revised copy and let them review. I presented two copies of lease, one for me one for each of them, they took their copy but never signed either. After 8 or so months they run into relationship issues and tell me they are moving out, since they never signed basically forced me into a “month-to-month” lease. Tenants A & K neglected the litter box and cleaning it. Tired of their cats and their smells/stains and avoiding my lease, I presented them with eviction notices. It worked well for me as I already have tenants to fill the space. During the tear out of the room for updating after a tenant turnover, I discovered the cats had ruined the carpet leaving stains all over. Currently in the process of charging the proper costs for damages. Tenant A & K are upset at the cost to re-do one room and do not believe it was their cats to do so.

    - Bathroom Addition Project: Costs are close to 10k. I have added a shower, toilet, sink, labor, and a brand new stacked washer and dryer pair. Functionally it works, but it is not primed/painted yet.

    -Bedroom Addition Project: Costs are approximately 750. Put up a wall with studs and drywall.

    - Kitchen: Added spot for dishwasher and installed new Samsung dishwasher and a garbage disposal. Adding cabinets with overhead microwave still.

    - Upstairs: Adding new flooring upstairs soon.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.