1st rehab deal - what do you think - Austin

1st rehab deal - what do you think - Austin

Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 0 votes

Hello

I wanted to run some numbers by you all.

Here is what I am looking at.

Home is bank owned due to foreclose -2000 soft
Asking $173k
CMA's for sale put it at $225-250k range at optimal condition.
Lease comps are in $1900-2000 month range.
I estimate 25k in rehab.
My goal is to hold and cash flow.

I am not going in at 173k, but what would you look at in terms of making these numbers work for you?

Thanks

0Reply
12 views

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Ron. I don't love 1% in rent monthly from the whole investment, but I'd make exceptions for great areas. What's the zip or major cross streets?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    It is in the Lake Travis area. We are getting $1 per sqft for rentals here and people love the school system and quality of life.
    78734 zip

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Which school district, Ron?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Lake Travis ISD

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    With good financing, I'd be happy to be all in at $175k with it being as much an appreciation play as a cash flow deal.

  • Jason GrotePro Member
    Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2011 · 286 posts · 88 votes
    13y

    I agree with Jon's numbers, but I think an investment at this price point would be better served closer to or in Austin. Though Lake Travis ISD is great, folks are not beating down the doors to get in to that community like they are in Westlake or Central Austin. Additionally, the lake community is not so exciting without a lake :)

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    This deal sounds like a pass to me.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Must. Have. Rain.

    I'm "building" a lake at my ranch.
    Or a big hole until we get a lot of rain. ; /

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Hello,

    At what price point is this a solid deal?

  • Jason GrotePro Member
    Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2011 · 286 posts · 88 votes
    13y

    Ron K. If you end me an address, I can give you my opinion...

    Jon Klaus Build it and it will come! Maybe?

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Ron K.:
    My goal is to hold and cash flow.

    If this is truly the case then any appreciation must be discarded along with tax benefits and the joys of principal reduction. You should simply analyze things based on cash flow. You should look through Ray Alcorn's article on deriving YOUR capitalization rate to get a more precise figure, but the analysis below should be a good first cut for screening purposes.

    Lease Comps assumed to be $2k/month
    => Annual Gross Potential Income = $24,000
    => Rough Estimate Of Annual "NOI" = $12,000
    => Rough Offer At 10-Cap = $120,000
    Less $25k in repairs
    => MAO = $95,000

    Since this is roughly half of what they are asking I think it is probably a waste of time trying to make a deal work, but you never know.

    Use this search:

    What's It Worth - Deriving YOUR Capitalization Rate

    and read Ray's article. I would suggest using 20% as your equity constant. Your debt constant is something you'll need to work with a broker to determine, but it is likely to be around 6% or so. A back-of-the-envelope calculation at 75% LTC shows the derived capitalization rate to be close to the 10% number cited above.

    If you expect some lift in the project to justify paying more then you can price that into your offer, but $175k is way too much to pay IMO.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    What did you decide on this deal Ron?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Hello all,

    Thank you for the great guidance. I am making an offer, but at better entry point. Will update once some actions have transpired and determined.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Hello, I thought I would close the loop on this thread. The banks asking price was $171,000. I went in at $136,000.

    Someone paid $177,000. It needed a (minimum) of $25,000 in repairs. The comps were $220-250k.

    Onto the next one.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.