Discovered BP, Then Bought 3 Long-Distance Props In 14 Months!

Discovered BP, Then Bought 3 Long-Distance Props In 14 Months!

Rental Property Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 166 votes

Background: 

I've always had an interest in owning rental property, but due to living in CA and my inexperience I had assumed it was only accessible to those with significant cash in the bank, so I figured it was something I'd pursue later in life. However, after stumbling across the Bigger Pockets Podcast one day during my morning commute, it completely changed my life. Purchased 3 out of state rentals over the next 9 months and I'm hooked! Below is a summary of the timeline and the 3 deals:

1. Education:

Listened to my first BP Podcast in October of 2018 and never stopped. I spent the next 6 months listening to BP Podcasts every chance I had, and then it all came full circle when I read "Rich Dad Poor Dad." Followed up with some books by David Greene and Brandon Turner, lots and lots of research, and then gained the confidence to take action!

2. Identify a Strategy:

Due to my location and the cost of owning property locally in the current market cycle (as well as state laws that are not landlord friendly), I was particularly interested in out-of-state rentals. Due to my funding source, I decided that using the BRRRR strategy was the most attractive method I was familiar with to purchase properties quickly and repetitively.

3. Secure Funding:

I decided to open a HELOC on my primary residence, as it had experienced forced and natural appreciation since we purchased it a few years prior. I researched lenders for many weeks until I finally found a credit union that would lend up to 100% LTV! The process was slow and I had to challenge the appraisal, but we were eventually approved for the HELOC, and it was funded in April of 2019.

4. Identify a Market:

I spent a lot of long nights researching the "perfect" market to invest in. I'm a big believer that cash flow is king, so I was looking for an accessible market with strong cash flow. I wanted properties under $100k, in need of rehab, and I wasn't too concerned with long-term appreciation. After a few months of analysis paralysis, I had a solid list of potential markets. I finally decided to just pick one, and went all-in on Columbus, OH. I spent some time analyzing neighborhood statistics, rental rates, and sale prices.

5. Find a Team:

Keeping David Greene's "Rockstars know Rockstars" quote in mind, I knew all it took was finding one member of the team to get rolling. I found my RE Agent on Zillow, as he was highly rated, had significant recent sales, and had a history of working with investors. He has been fantastic since day 1, and has guided me through this process. He had significant knowledge of the local rental market, and his experience owning his own rental properties was particularly helpful. He walks through the properties, takes videos, gives me his thoughts, we analyze the rehab, and I decide an offer price. He also introduced me to a great local lender. I also found a highly rated property manager on BP, and contacted him shortly thereafter (I didn't end up using a PM right away, as I wanted to learn property management on my own before hiring someone to do it, but I just recently hired that same PM to manage all 3 properties). I've since been introduced to an investment-minded local lender through a member on BP, and am actively working with him now to refinance a few properties. In summary: rockstars do know rockstars, and the internet is such a powerful tool that can get you in contact with the best in the business.

6. The Properties:

      Property #1:

      • Location: Columbus, OH
      • Size: 3 BR/ 1 BA (950 SF) w/ garage
      • Source: MLS (We found it day 1, deal accepted the following morning!)
      • Listing Price: $65,000
      • Purchase Price: $71,000 (Due to competitive market, we wanted to get it locked in fast)
      • Rehab: $18,000
      • Purchase Date: May 2019
      • Funding Source: Cash (HELOC) was used for purchase and rehab
      • Occupancy Status: Vacant
      • Appraised ARV: $107,000 (Refinanced to 30 YR fixed at 75% LTV after 6 month seasoning)
      • Post-Refinance Monthly Mortgage, Taxes, Insurance: $620
      • Current Monthly Rent: $1,150
      • Monthly Cash Flow (not accounting for vacancy, PM, or maintenance): $530
      • Lessons Learned: HELOC = same as cash. Buying a property with cash is so much easier than using a lender. Everything was signed using Docusign (notary not required), we closed quick, closing costs were minimal. However, be sure to check with your bank for wiring instructions ahead of time so you are prepared. My bank is located out of town, and I realized the day before scheduled closing that if you can't visit a local branch they require a wet-signed letter mailed for any wire transfers over $1,000. I had to overnight a letter to them and we still had to delay closing one day. The whole process was very frustrating. Also, 6 month seasoning prior to refinancing is a killer!

      Property #2:

      • Location: Columbus, OH
      • Size: 3 BR/ 1 BA (950 SF)
      • Source: MLS (VA Foreclosure)
      • Listing Price: $69,500
      • Purchase Price: $69,500
      • Rehab: $17,000
      • Purchase Date: Nov 2019
      • Funding Source: Hard Money @ 12% for purchase and rehab, Cash (HELOC) used for 20% down pmt
      • Occupancy Status: Vacant
      • Appraised ARV: TBD (estimated at $110k to $115k). At 6 months, will refinance to 30 year fixed.
      • Post-Refinance Monthly Mortgage, Taxes, Insurance: Estimated at $680 (this one has flood insurance)
      • Current Monthly Rent: $1,125
      • Projected Monthly Cash Flow (not accounting for vacancy, PM, or maintenance): $445
      • Lessons Learned: Hard money is so easy to get it's scary. I decided to go with hard money in an effort to speed up the buying process, and to get a better understanding of hard money in general. This allowed me to purchase property #3 (see below) only a few months later, rather than wait the 6 month seasoning. Still debating whether it was worth the interest rate and closing costs. In working with my lender, on the next purchase I plan to have title include rehab costs in the purchase price on the HUD, so that I can attempt to use delayed financing to refinance my purchase and rehab money out sooner than 6 months. The effectiveness of this strategy is TBD, but I've heard it mentioned on the podcasts and have read about it on the forums multiple times.

      Property #3:

      • Location: Columbus, OH
      • Size: 3 BR/ 1 BA (950 SF)
      • Source: Wholesaler who knew my RE agent
      • Asking Price: $80,000
      • Purchase Price: $77,500 (Includes $7,500 assignment fee to wholesaler)
      • Rehab: $0!
      • Purchase Date: Jan 2020
      • Funding Source: Hard Money @ 12%, Cash (HELOC) used for 20% down pmt
      • Occupancy Status: Occupied (paying way below market rent)
      • Appraised Value: TBD (estimated at $100k-$110k). Will refinance to 30 year fixed.
      • Post-Refinance Monthly Mortgage, Taxes, Insurance: Estimated at $625
      • Current Monthly Rent: In negotiation, trying to increase to $800 for now. Tenant has been there many years and I see a lot of value in keeping them, even at under-market rent due to the care they have for the property and their history of on-time payments. I believe market rent as the property sits now is closer to $1,000.
      • Projected Monthly Cash Flow (not accounting for vacancy, PM, or maintenance): $175
      • Lessons Learned: Taking over an occupied property was more difficult than I thought it would be. Had a hard time getting a copy of the current lease and contact info for tenants. Once I did, I found that the tenants are genuinely nice people, so I stressed out about how to tell them I had to up the rent. This, combined with them informing me that the property had some deferred maintenance, made me realize it was time to hire a property manager, as I was feeling a bit lost in this scenario, and spending too much time worrying about small items when I'd rather be buying more property. Also, when buying an occupied property make sure the tenant's safety deposit and partial month's rent (for remainder of the month of closing) are included in the HUD.

      In Conclusion:

      I know many investors have done much more in much less time, but if you told me a year ago I'd have 3 out of state rentals by now, I'd be shocked. It's been a great ride so far, a lot of lessons learned, and I'm so thankful for the BP community and everything I've gained from it. Hopefully this post helps someone else in the way BP has helped me. I'm now actively looking for my fourth OOS deal, have aspirations to jump into multifamily, and have been doing a lot of research on syndications for both value-add and local development. Please feel free to ask questions or private message me anytime, I'd be more than happy to help someone that's trying to start where I was a year ago. I would also appreciate any feedback or suggestions you may have.

        107Reply
        969 views

        Most Popular Reply

        Member since 2019 · 89 posts · 64 votes
        6y

        Congrats on getting off to a great start. Curious what parts of the city are you buying in? Who is estimating your ARV on the projects before making the purchase? And about how long did the rehabs take?

        See this reply in the discussion

        202 Replies

        Jump to latestLatest
        • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
          Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
          6y

          Great Job @Tyler Caglia Keep up the work.

          House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
        • Member since 2019 · 89 posts · 64 votes
          6y

          Congrats on getting off to a great start. Curious what parts of the city are you buying in? Who is estimating your ARV on the projects before making the purchase? And about how long did the rehabs take?

        • Rental Property Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 166 votes
          6y

          @Shawn M. Thanks Shawn!

        • Investor · Hamilton, NJ · Member since 2013 · 49 posts · 9 votes
          6y

          Congrats on your success! Always great to see these out of state investing deals work. Also loved how organized the deal summary was!

          Any tips for people trying expand their portfolio out of their backyard?

        • Rental Property Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 166 votes
          6y

          @Kevin Chan These are located in Southeast Columbus. My realtor sends me comps of recent nearby sales, so we base the ARV on that (and we try to stay on the conservative side). We then use my personal experience in construction as well as my realtor's experience to create a rehab budget, and from there we determine the offer amount. Rehab has taken approx. 2 months on each property, and has included complete yard cleanup, exterior paint, interior flooring, cabinets, appliances, paint, lighting, etc.

        • Rental Property Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 166 votes
          6y

          @Bhanu Kuna Thanks I appreciate it! My advice would be this: after educating yourself of course, you’re going to need to have a decent amount of risk tolerance and the ability to trust the system and go. I had a lot of questions for my realtor up front, and I eventually realized that nobody with a 5-star rating and dozens of recent sales is going to sacrifice his entire reputation to screw over an out of state investor for a few thousand dollars. Not to say that wouldn’t happen, but it would be unlikely. I couldn’t imagine doing this 20 years ago, but with the power of the internet you can not only be connected with very talented professionals, but you can also verify that what they’re telling you is accurate. A lot of people (especially those unfamiliar with real estate) thought I was crazy, but it’s been a great feeling to take that leap of faith and experience this small amount of success so far.

        • Investor · Hamilton, NJ · Member since 2013 · 49 posts · 9 votes
          6y

          @Tyler Caglia great tip! I've read so many books and listened to countless BP podcasts  at this point so I think I have the education piece down. 

          I just need to take that final leap of faith, start making offers, and building those relationships. Appreciate the advice!

        • Rental Property Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 166 votes
          6y

          @Bhanu Kuna no problem. Good luck! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions along the way.

        • Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 80 posts · 53 votes
          6y

          Yay!! Congratulations. This is so inspiring—thanks for laying out the steps you took!

        • Rental Property Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 166 votes
          6y

          @Vivian Killin Thank you! I appreciate your feedback.

        • Real Estate Agent · Reston, VA · Member since 2017 · 295 posts · 163 votes
          6y

          Excellent post both in what you did and the sort of straight forward explanation of what you did.

          I like especially the lessons learned. Congrats!!!

        • Rental Property Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 166 votes
          6y

          @Ika Sargeant thank you I appreciate it! Glad you enjoyed it.

        • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
          6y

          @Tyler Caglia

          Thank you for this post it is so inspiring! I also am located in CA. I recently purchased a second home and moved and will be renting my old house. It is currently being renovated and hope to have it on the rental market this month. I am planning on buying out of state as soon as I can get a heloc. What you are doing is goals for me. I hope to start building my rock star team soon. Thanks again for posting and explaining so throughly. It is so helpful to us who are starting out.

        • Rental Property Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 166 votes
          6y

          @Manuel Encarnacion Thank you, I’m glad you found it helpful. This is exactly what I had hoped for in taking the time to post it. Congrats on your success so far, let me know if you have any questions as you venture into OOS investing.

        • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 7 votes
          6y

          @Tyler Caglia

          I am sure I will thank you very much!

        • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
          6y

          thanks for posting.

          If it was me I’d find finding sources lower than 12%, they definitely exist

        • Rental Property Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 166 votes
          6y

          @Michael P. Good suggestion, thank you. I’m currently working with a different lender on my 4th deal, trying to get better terms on the hard money. Now that I have a few deals under my belt I have a bit of a track record. The hard money lenders I’ve talked to have said the terms are unfavorable to the borrower when starting out, but as you do more deals the terms get better. Has that been your experience with hard money? Would it be realistic to find a rate less than 10% at this point?

        • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
          6y

          @Tyler Caglia. If you have vacancy or tenant turnover every few years these propeties will be cash flow negative long term.

          Your turnover will cost you 5k minimum in fees vacancy etc. I would slow down before buying more.

          You’re buying long distance, using hard money with the economy headed towards a recession (albeit likely a short one).

        • Rental Property Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 166 votes
          6y

          @Caleb Heimsoth Caleb, thank you for your honest input. I’m not sure I agree with all of it though. How do you figure $5k per turnover? Are you assuming a $5k loss in revenue, or a straight $5k loss?

          I’ve had very little trouble filling these rentals so far, and the neighborhoods are in low crime but lower income neighborhoods. When the recession happens, rent will likely go down a bit, but I’d assume rentals like mine will be more attractive to those that need to downgrade.

        • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote
          6y

          @Tyler Caglia awesome post! If you don't mind, could you possibly divulge which other markets you were also considering?

        • CA · Member since 2014 · 244 posts · 47 votes
          6y

          @Tyler Caglia congrats

          curious to hear : while out of state how you handled the -

          a. property search /research /due delignce etc

          b. rehab / dealing with contractors / assigning work

          c. rental management / find the right tanent

          I feel all above works are time consuming and sometimes have to involve and present physically , but may be you can share some tips.

        • Investor · Long Island, NY · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 22 votes
          6y

          @Tyler Caglia

          Congrats on your success thus far, it looks like you have a bright future in REI ahead of you.

          I have a very similar story- been listening to the podcasts religiously for the past 6mo, but live in an area where buy and hold numbers don't make sense. I closed on my first buy and hold in January in Savannah Ga, and now have a second one under contract, which I am planning on BRRRR'ing. My 2019 is 3 properties, but depending on how this one goes I could surpass my goal.

          I’ll send you a PM- always looking to connect with like-minded OOS investors! Cheers

        • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 63 votes
          6y

          @Tyler Caglia well done! It’s nice to see my hometown getting so much love from investors as of late. To people from Columbus the growth is nothing new but It’s good to see the love from the coasts. I’m now in Cincy but am buying properties for my portfolio in both cities especially in Southeast Columbus. Thank you for mentioning the analysis by paralysis. I have found that it is a serious hurdle for even the brightest of newbie investors but you just gotta trust the process. People buy thousands of properties every day and (outside of forums like this ) how often do you really hear about someone loosing everything on one deal? Anyways thanks for posting and feel free to reach out to me if you end up shopping for syndicated deals. We are investing in value-add and turnkey multi’s here in Cincy and expanding to double digit growth markets this year. Cheers and GO BUCKS!

        • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
          6y
          Originally posted by @Tyler Caglia:

          @Caleb Heimsoth Caleb, thank you for your honest input. I’m not sure I agree with all of it though. How do you figure $5k per turnover? Are you assuming a $5k loss in revenue, or a straight $5k loss

          I’ve had very little trouble filling these rentals so far, and the neighborhoods are in low crime but lower income neighborhoods. When the recession happens, rent will likely go down a bit, but I’d assume rentals like mine will be more attractive to those that need to downgrade.

          If your property is 1200-1500 square feet,it’ll cost 1500 to repaint, month to find a tenant (assume 1000 monthly rent) and a monthly commission to the PM and one month of mortgage payment.  That is 4000-5000 total.

        • Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 7 votes
          6y
          Did you rehab the properties yourself? If not, how were you able to keep on top of the rehabbing to make sure everything was getting done? How did you determine when each phase was complete?
        Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.