Land parcel with a mortgage lien on it. Is it worth the risk?

Land parcel with a mortgage lien on it. Is it worth the risk?

New York City · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 7 votes

I have an opportunity to buy a 4 acre parcel. The owner has two parcels, one is the vacant parcel and the other is his own house with 5 acres, next to each other. After title search, the 4 acre lot and the house (40 yrs old below average condition) both are under a re-financed mortgage the owner took out 10 years ago of $335,000. The house is on the market selling for $325,000 by a realtor in Jan 20. Based on the amortization table, the mortgage balance would be $286,000 by now. 

I offered $5000 for the 4 acres, before the knowledge of the mortgage lien. The estimate for the current (before virus) market (with clean title, of course ) was $18000. But now, with the mortgage lien, I will  need to hold till the house is sold and pay off the mortgage. That could be 1 yr or more. In the mean time, the market could deteriorate more. At some point if price drop so much that the owner may let the house go to foreclosure too. (worst case)

Should I buy the parcel and take the risk? 

Should I offer less ($2500 -$3000 )  and take the risk? 

0Reply
24 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 58 votes
    6y

    You can try to contact the bank that holds the mortgage and see if they'll separate the land from the home.  Selling the land could trigger a clause in the mortgage causing the seller to have pay the full mortgage (due upon sale clause I think?).  Either way you need to get it out of the mortgage.  The seller may just be required to pay any proceeds to the bank/lien holder.

    You really need to read the mortgage to find out what clauses it has.  You likely won't be able to take title to the land with a lien on it unless you did some kind of "subject to" deal, but I don't think that's even feasible.

    My opinion, see if you can get it separated from the rest of the mortgage, if you can't then just go find more land.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.