Deal Deep Dive Lee Ripma Episode 373 in Liberty, MO

Deal Deep Dive Lee Ripma Episode 373 in Liberty, MO

Lee RipmaPro Member
Rental Property Investor 路 Prairie Village, KS 路 Member since 2015 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment in Liberty.

Contributors:
Trista Fenner

This was my Bigger Pockets episode 373 deal deep dive. I found this property on Facebook buy/sell group and closed November 2018. Partnered with Derek and Trista Fenner as local partners. We bought it for 150k with 10% down seller financing and turned all the units over year and a half. The property appraised for 380k and I refinanced it in May 2020. I got nearly all of my cash out and the property will cash flow around $1000/mo.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Bought way under market value and I knew I could turn the units with the help of my incredible local partners.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Found it on a buy/sell Facebook group. I didn't negotiate on price, I gave the seller what he wanted for the property. He in turn gave me seller financing for a year and a half.

How did you finance this deal?

10% down seller financing with 6% interest for the acquisition. My own cash for the DP. For the labor to turn units my local partners donated a lot of it. We split materials and sub-contractors 50/50. Total cash invested was around 85k. After the refi we will have about 20k left in the deal total.

How did you add value to the deal?

We turned all four units and raised rents from 600/mo per unit to 795-850 per unit. We could achieve this upside due to great finish and the addition of washer dryer hook ups.

What was the outcome?

A nearly BRRRR-fect deal where we got most of our cash out of the deal but will still collect great monthly cash flow.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

It always takes a while to turn units with tenants. We had two evictions. We only kept one of the original 3 tenants. Rehab takes a while and is expensive!

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Derek and Trista Fenner are incredible local partners and I could not have done any of this without them!

9Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

David AcostaPro Member
Wilmington, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 208 posts 路 144 votes
6y

Awesome turnout, @Lee Ripma!  I would imagine the cash-out refi has some stories of its own given the timing and lending environment.  One of my favorite parts of the above breakdown: "I gave the seller what he wanted...".  Often it pays to keep it simple!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Sarasota, FL 路 Member since 2020 路 154 posts 路 72 votes
    6y

    GREAT share Lee and congrats! Local partners for long distance investing are key. Also your 1/3 success rate with inherited tenants seems like right on par with inherited tenants in small MFR. How did you connect with Derek and Trista?

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor 路 Prairie Village, KS 路 Member since 2015 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Joseph M'Mwirichia

    Thank you! I met them through BP before I ever invested in Kansas City. We had dinner together at a local BBQ place and working together developed organically though time leading to a partnership about 2 years after we first met.

    It鈥檚 interesting about inherited tenant ratios holding true. As a scientist I love to discover a constant underlying ratio in the universe ;)

  • David AcostaPro Member
    Wilmington, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 208 posts 路 144 votes
    6y

    Awesome turnout, @Lee Ripma!  I would imagine the cash-out refi has some stories of its own given the timing and lending environment.  One of my favorite parts of the above breakdown: "I gave the seller what he wanted...".  Often it pays to keep it simple!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Sarasota, FL 路 Member since 2020 路 154 posts 路 72 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Lee Ripma:

    @Joseph M'Mwirichia

    Thank you! I met them through BP before I ever invested in Kansas City. We had dinner together at a local BBQ place and working together developed organically though time leading to a partnership about 2 years after we first met.

    It鈥檚 interesting about inherited tenant ratios holding true. As a scientist I love to discover a constant underlying ratio in the universe ;)

    That's awesome and speaks to the true value of platforms such as these. As for the data, as a fellow scientist, I concur 馃挴

    BE GREAT!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Brooklyn, NY 路 Member since 2016 路 84 posts 路 139 votes
    6y

    @Lee Ripma I'm so glad that I decided to listen to episode #373 to reunite with the BP platform. It inspired me to take action and was the push I needed to begin my REI journey. Thank you for helping me to start with my first deal and all the support. I intend to do the same things that you've done with this property to my own investment.

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Kansas City Metro 路 Member since 2015 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Lee Ripma:

    @Joseph M'Mwirichia

    Thank you! I met them through BP before I ever invested in Kansas City. We had dinner together at a local BBQ place and working together developed organically though time leading to a partnership about 2 years after we first met.

    It鈥檚 interesting about inherited tenant ratios holding true. As a scientist I love to discover a constant underlying ratio in the universe ;)

    Very impressive. My favorite part is your persistence with owner finance and doing it the right way. Not trying to get every dime out of the seller and going after a win ein. Congratulations! Slow and steady wins the race.

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor 路 Prairie Village, KS 路 Member since 2015 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Nina Granberry - I'm excited for you to start your journey! Working with people like yourself rekindles my desire to help newer investors, I was you not long ago! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.