A Canadian's attempt at a BRRRR in the States

A Canadian's attempt at a BRRRR in the States

Investor · OH · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 13 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence other investment.

Purchase price: $20,000
Cash invested: $45,000

This was my attempt at a BRRRR. It is a SFH in Dayton, Ohio that needed a full gut job. Unfortunately the house took a lot longer to rehab and ran a bit over budget but the good news is it is supposedly going to get me $1,000/month starting July 1 and the ARV is supposed to be between $70-75,000.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I was really interested in doing a legitimate BRRRR just to say I did it. I'm a buy and hold investor and really wanted to see if I could turn this into a free house. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out yet but it is still a good buy and hold assuming my PM has gotten the paperwork on a long-term lease.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I found it through a facilitator. It was my first purchase through her and it hasn't worked out as well as advertised. Hopefully things just look up. I didn't do much negotiating to be honest.

How did you add value to the deal?

A full rehab was done and air conditioning was added.

What was the outcome?

The outcome is still TBD. I haven't figured out what my strategy is going to be now that I'm finding it almost impossible to get this refinanced at a decent rate and tolerable fees (I'm Canadian and don't have an SSN or an American credit history). If the tenant wants to do a rent-to-own or I get a decent price from an investor, I'd consider it going either way. If not, it's a buy and hold.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I learned a few things here:
1) I've found it impossible to find a conventional lender to give me a loan so I could do a cash out refinance. There are alternative lenders galore but the interest rates are close to 9% along with sky-high fees.
2) My single family home rehab amongst the other rehabs my contractor was taking care of didn't seem to be much of a priority. The general contractor told me it would be completed by February and here we are in June and it is just being completed.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I'm withholding judgement on this one until later.

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

Congrats on the deal! @Arthur Wong

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Congrats on the deal! @Arthur Wong

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Arthur Wong:

    Investment Info:

    Single-family residence other investment.

    Purchase price: $20,000
    Cash invested: $45,000

    This was my attempt at a BRRRR. It is a SFH in Dayton, Ohio that needed a full gut job. Unfortunately the house took a lot longer to rehab and ran a bit over budget but the good news is it is supposedly going to get me $1,000/month starting July 1 and the ARV is supposed to be between $70-75,000.

    What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

    I was really interested in doing a legitimate BRRRR just to say I did it. I'm a buy and hold investor and really wanted to see if I could turn this into a free house. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out yet but it is still a good buy and hold assuming my PM has gotten the paperwork on a long-term lease.

    How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

    I found it through a facilitator. It was my first purchase through her and it hasn't worked out as well as advertised. Hopefully things just look up. I didn't do much negotiating to be honest.

    How did you add value to the deal?

    A full rehab was done and air conditioning was added.

    What was the outcome?

    The outcome is still TBD. I haven't figured out what my strategy is going to be now that I'm finding it almost impossible to get this refinanced at a decent rate and tolerable fees (I'm Canadian and don't have an SSN or an American credit history). If the tenant wants to do a rent-to-own or I get a decent price from an investor, I'd consider it going either way. If not, it's a buy and hold.

    Lessons learned? Challenges?

    I learned a few things here:
    1) I've found it impossible to find a conventional lender to give me a loan so I could do a cash out refinance. There are alternative lenders galore but the interest rates are close to 9% along with sky-high fees.
    2) My single family home rehab amongst the other rehabs my contractor was taking care of didn't seem to be much of a priority. The general contractor told me it would be completed by February and here we are in June and it is just being completed.

    Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

    I'm withholding judgement on this one until later.

    The key with contractors is to have another job lined up so you can keep them fed after they finish this one up. 

  • Investor · OH · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    That's true Remington but unfortunately since I can't seem to BRRRR, my money is pretty well locked up but you definitely bring up a great point!

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Arthur Wong:

    That's true Remington but unfortunately since I can't seem to BRRRR, my money is pretty well locked up but you definitely bring up a great point!

    There is always Hard Money 

  • Investor · OH · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    Hard money is too expensive over a long time since I can't refinance. It would only work if I were looking to fix and flip (which might be an option).

  • Stephen FryerPro Member
    Investor · Ottawa ON / South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 186 posts · 93 votes
    6y

    Hey @Arthur Wong

    I feel your pain. As a fellow Canadian investing in the US., I've faced some of the same challenges for financing. I've been doing fix and flips and turnkeys with private money and using the proceeds to finance my acquisitions. Refinancing is possible with secondary lenders, but their rates are pretty expensive. 

  • Investor · OH · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    No kidding @Stephen Fryer 

    I was hoping to BRRRR this deal and basically get about $45,000 back. I was getting quotes of about 9% interest and it was going to cost me about $6,000 for that honour. So basically, I'd be paying 9% interest on $51,000-ish and only getting back $45,000. The numbers just didn't make sense.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.