Due Diligence on First Deal (Northern Virginia)

Due Diligence on First Deal (Northern Virginia)

New to Real Estate · Arlington, VA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 4 votes

Hi All,

New investor looking for advice on my first deal. As mentioned in a separate post, I recently found an off-market with approx 100k in equity off the bat. I’m skeptical because I’m usually of the opinion that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It’s not a distressed property, however the owner is in a unique situation and fully on board with home inspection and contractor rehab estimate (my agent checked the house out and said it’s in great condition, minimal rehab). When I expressed my skepticism to my agent, he stated the seller strikes him as a really nice older guy who doesn’t need the money (he’ll be making a bit of equity but nowhere near what he could get in the current market.) To me, this just doesn’t add up, so I want to do my due diligence.

My question is this: Outside of a home inspection/title exam, what else can be done to ensure due diligence? It’s my understanding that Residential Property Disclosure Statement for Virginia requires minimal disclosures from the seller, essentially Virginia is a “caveat emptor” state. If I ask for disclosures on structural defects, plumbing, electrical, etc., is the seller required to provide them? What recourse do I have if something is to be found for the property? I’m also thinking about asking for 2 separate home inspections to see if there are any discrepancies.

The seller and his wife may need to stay in the home for the next year, but he still wants to sell the home (my understanding is their original plan was to sell the house and buy an RV.) I’m a current renter, but not comfortable buying other properties right now due to the fact that we’re in a seller’s market, and I don’t think current prices are sustainable. So, my thought is to write up a buyer’s contract with a contingency for the interest rate (protect myself as a buyer in case it skyrockets over the next 12 months, plus home inspection, title exam etc.) While I don’t believe in trying to time the market, my idea is that if the market crashes in the next 12 months, I can break my lease and buy a property at that time instead of competing in the current bidding wars going on in my area (Northern Virginia). If the market corrects after that, at least I’ll have a property I can stay in as a buy and hold and possibly pick up a 2nd IP.

Is this deal too good to be true? What are the flaws in my strategy? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
5y

If you dont want it, Ill take it. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Menifee, CA. · Member since 2021 · 48 posts · 29 votes
    5y

    @Phil K. It should not take much time to evaluate if there is 100k in equity. Keep in mind equity disappears in a down market.

    If they need 12 months will the rent cover the mortgage?

    I never would say to someone "wait until the market crashed to make an investment".

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    5y

    If you dont want it, Ill take it. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 109 posts · 93 votes
    5y

    @Phil K.

    He’s probably selling now because he needs the money to do something else, right? Why would he want to sign something that allows you to lock up the property and cancel with no recourse to him? Why are you so hesitant to buy if there is a potential for 100k in equity? What do you think could be lurking in the home that would wipe out 100k in equity? Almost any home that goes sold has some defects, but unless there’s many many egregious issues all together (completely shot foundation requiring total overhaul, multiple HVAC units on their last legs, unsafe electrical needing rewiring, total plumbing disaster, broken sewer lateral, holes in roof) you should be fine, as long as you are pulling good comps and you have an even half way competent home inspector that can identify most or all of these potential issues.

  • Real Estate Agent · Reston, VA · Member since 2017 · 295 posts · 163 votes
    5y

    @Phil K. Inspection are your due diligence. Yes the story sounds a bit off. I would not be comfortable with the explanation -a really nice older guy who doesn’t need the money. Start by checking if he is the owner of the property.










    a really nice older guy who doesn’t need the money

  • Real Estate Agent · Vienna, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 253 votes
    5y

    If a Seller is willing to let you lock (control) a property today with $100k in equity and buy it in 12 months while signing a contract that gives you the option to inspect the home and break it at any time without penalties for you, I don't see any downside, only upside:

    Scenario 1: Marke stays the same or keeps increasing = You win. You buy a property with $100k+ in equity. 

    Scenario 2: Market drops = You win. You buy a property with equity in it, not $100k, but significant equity. I am not sure what type of property it is and the price point, but I can't see a scenario where any property under $1M will lose more than $100k in equity in Northern Virginia within 12 months.

    Scenario 3: You inspect the home and there are SERIOUS defects with the home that will cost $$$ to fix. Your equity is not $100k, it is a lot less, maybe there is no equity. Break the contract.

    @Phil K., if you don't want it, please DM me!

  • New to Real Estate · Arlington, VA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Thanks everyone for the advice and insights! I ended up pulling the trigger on this deal, working to get it under contract now. The seller won't be able to move until next year, and I'm looking to put some good faith money in escrow to secure the property. Any advice on how to hold money in escrow for 12 months? I know title companies typically only hold escrow for 30-60 days. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.