Balancing Down Payment with Solo 401k Loan Repayment

Balancing Down Payment with Solo 401k Loan Repayment

Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2020 · 47 posts · 17 votes

Hi experts. I have a property under contract. I'm going to use funds from my Solo 401k for the down payment, repaying it at 4.25% over 5 years (the interest goes back to me, which is the great thing about Solo 401k loans; also there are no admin fees, origination fees, etc etc for such loans since I'm both the applicant and the one approving it).

The question is: how much down payment makes the most sense?

Purchase Price: $191,000

Annual Rent: $1750x12 = $21,000

15% down: $30,000. 5yr 4.25% annual repayment: $6,600. Annual PITI w/ PMI: $14,812.00

20% down: $40,000.5yr 4.25% annual repayment: $8,900. Annual PITI: $13,156.00

25% down: $50,000. 5yr 4.25% annual repayment: $11,100. Annual PITI: $12,472.00

(I'm rounding up the 401k loan to the nearest 10k for simplicity).

With reasonable vacancy and repair annual costs, the annual cash flow looks like for the first 5 years only:

15% down: -$4,312.00 After 5yrs: $2,348.00.

20% down: -$4,888.00 After 5yrs: $4,004.00

25% down: -$6,424.00 After 5yrs: $4,688.00

It seems to me that 20% down is the sweet spot. Considering the 5yr cost of the down payment and what the subsequent 5yrs look like seems to bear this out even more. Thoughts?

1Reply
26 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    I would go with 20% down in your scenario. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2020 · 47 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    I agree. Having spoken to my loan officer, 20% down gave me a better rate, too, so that just overdetermines 20% being the best move.

    Thanks :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.