Real Estate Note - Borrower constantly late, ideas?

Real Estate Note - Borrower constantly late, ideas?

Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes

Hi everyone - first post here after visiting and reading the forum for several years. Looking for advice on a deal I'm already in on. I'll try to be as concise as possible.

Loan is in the State of Texas. 18 months ago I refinanced a home for a neighbor and acquaintance facing foreclosure. I paid off the previous lender, and loaned the borrower approx. $95k on a house that I felt very confident would fetch $225k-$250k in a distressed sale or foreclosure. Interest rate 5%, 30 year amortization, 5 year balloon. Much more favorable than hard money rates in the area, and I realize now the predicament loaning $ to friends or neighbors put you in. That being said, I used real estate attorney in the area, the note is secured by a deed of trust, and I have the first and only lien. Loan to value ratio was a big part of the reason I did this, and the fact that two years ago, getting 5% for 5 years didn't seem too bad, especially with the equity cushion in the home.

Surprise, we're 18 months into the loan and things aren't looking that great. Borrower has been late and behind multiple payments for the majority of the mortgage payments. Taxes aren't escrowed, and I had to pay the 2012 tax bill (a little over $5,000) in January 2013. Borrower is currently two months past due, one year of taxes past due, and doesn't have anything socked away for 2013 property taxes due in January 2014.

I welcome all advice and suggestions moving forward. Before you criticize me on how bad of a loan this is, consider the following...

-House directly across the street just sold for $400k (same sq. ft., though recently remodeled).

-Neighborhood has had considerable price increases in the last year and houses are generally pending in under a week.

-Current outstanding balance is a little over $100k on a house that I think would fetch $250k-$275k in a fire-sale situation.

-Interest rate on overdue unpaid balance is 10%, compounded monthly.

-If the previous 18 months are any indication, my guess is borrower does not have the means to make any progress on current overdue balance, and will add $6,000-$7,000 each year to the overdue balance (Tax payment of $5,500 and one or two missed monthly payments).

-I'm in my early thirties, borrower is 57. For all practical purposes, this is sort of functioning as a reverse mortgage. For every missed mortgage or tax payment, borrower transfers equity in the home to lender.

Questions for the people on the forum:

1. Should I just cut and run now? Borrower has shown no indication that he will be able to make timely payments. This will more than likely involve a foreclosure process. Things could get ugly, and I'm almost certain borrower would file bankruptcy if I foreclosed. What is the cutoff limit, in % terms, those of you who have experience in these types of situations, to start the process? Example, if house would get $275k in foreclosure, do I wait until unpaid balance is $150k?, $200k? This is before legal expenses. How much should I budget for legal expenses associated with the foreclosure process?

2. Or should I take the long-term approach? Any additional money that I pay (annual property taxes) gets added to matured unpaid principal balance at 10% and compounds monthly. Over the course of 5, 10, 20 years, there could be several hundred thousand dollars worth of equity in the home.

3. I speak with the borrower regularly and have talked with him about additional employment ideas, and have suggested he just sell the house. He would pocket anywhere from $150k-$200k on a sale depending on how much work he is willing to put into it.

4. When I first drafted the note, interest rates were historically low. There have been pretty substantial moves in the 10yr in the last several months. I'm glad this note has a 5 yr balloon, but should I push to increase the rate now if he wants to continue? Language of the note gives lender the sole discretion to extend for an additional year, each year after the first 5. I was thinking of amending the terms of the note to 7.5% if he wants to continue and use the threat of foreclosure as leverage. Thoughts on this idea?

5. Should I require borrower to escrow taxes? He likely won't be able to make the payments, but this would increase the matured unpaid balance faster than paying one annual payment.

I welcome any other ideas or suggestions. One thing I'm not really willing to do is sell the note. I'm leaning towards moving on it quickly (after about two years of late and delinquent payments) or riding this out for the long haul.

Thanks for your time and input.

0Reply
139 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
13y

My answers don't take into account your personal relationship with the borrower, because I don't know enough about that, and it may be impossible to salvage anyway.

First, although you appear to have a significant equity cushion, it is amazing how quickly that can change. Accrued interest and late fees, unpaid taxes, unpaid insurance, (have you checked?), deferred maintenance, possible retaliation damage, legal fees for foreclosure, more legal fees because he declares BK, changing market conditions, yada yada. So I would NOT recommend riding it out.

The second consideration is whether your loan is in compliance. While you may have had an attorney draft the documents, if he is not well versed in private lending in your state, you may have violated multiple lending laws. First and foremost would be the SAFE act, implemented in 2009, which requires that residential lenders be licensed. If the TX version of the SAFE act requires that, you may have trouble foreclosing if he pushes back. I find that regular real estate attorneys that don't deal with private lending are unaware of the SAFE act requirements. I don't know TX law at all, so you need a TX attorney very experienced in private lending.

So no, I wouldn't wait, I'd act now, and I'd first consult a TX attorney specializing in private lending. There are TX investors here on BP that do private lending and they should be able to help you find an attorney. Of if you know all that and are sure you are in the clear, I'd still not wait. Time is not on your side. Just my opinion.

See this reply in the discussion

69 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Ah, I see. Not only does he need options, so do you.

    Prolonging this loan will not maximize your return. As a lender, you generally want to maintain a high velocity of your money at a high interest rate, and you are not doing either. Late fees and compounding are just not that efficient. Participating in the rehab, as I wrote, buying the property from him and flipping it, as you wrote, and probably 100 other options involving this property are viable alternatives to getting you both out.

    I don’t know your financial position, Peter, but since it’s clear you’re comfortable loaning, you might continue that. I also know from experience you could at least triple your return buy loaning short term to rehabbers. This is way off topic, but something written frequently about here.

    If I were you, I’d do what I could for your borrower and do some legwork for him. Personally, I think the rehab route makes the most sense for him, but I’m a bit biased. I also put my money where my mouth is.

    I’m not sure following through with a foreclosure will help either of you, though I agree with David C. that at least filing, could get him to take some action. In the end, you’ll get paid but he won’t recover all he could. He has better options you could help him pursue. Scared as your borrower is, he’ll appreciate getting out of his mess -- and walking away with a nice chunk of change. So will you.

    Jeff

  • CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
    13y

    @Peter Lambert : I agree with everything @Jeff S. has said. It's hard to gauge the situation blogging on the internet like this, but my overall feeling from this discussion is that things are a little too cozy between you and the borrower, and not moving quite fast enough. I don't know if foreclosure is the right thing or not, but I think something more than talk needs to happen. I'll make a bold prediction here ... this guy will never pay you, and he will never sell you the house at a price that makes sense for a flip. You should proceed accordingly.

    Although off the topic, it should be said that private money and consumer loans are a bad mix, as my mortgage attorney says "... they have been legislated out of existence...". It's best IMO, and as Jeff mentioned, to stick with business loans only, the return is much better and the risk is much, much less. This is not to say your deal won't turn out just fine but it's something to think about.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    I think the win-win would be a sale to me, rehab and flip, with some negotiated profit split. I really do think that's a possibility, and to get that opportunity I may have to give him a little time. Granted, it's an inconvenience in the short-term, for possible upside down the road. And right now, the borrower is technically only behind one payment (though taxes are equivalent to 10 payments). I actually approached the estate in the comp I referenced above, but they were savvy enough to know that a rehab would bring them a much higher sales price - and it did.

    I'm not opposed to lending, and have one friend who borrows short-term from HML's to do his rehabs. Right deal with enough skin in the game and cushion, sure. The more challenging issue is the RE investing climate in my area. The overall market is extremely saturated. Lot of money chasing few deals. And a lot of all cash deals, reducing the need for participants to seek out HML. It almost seems like (in Austin at least) if you need financing for your rehab and flip, then you lack experience, or have a questionable property. At least in the residential space under $200k.

    I attended monthly foreclosure auctions for a couple years and in the past year and half the current margins rehab/flippers are willing to take on projects at is pretty slim. In some cases you need near perfect execution for the risk/reward to make sense. There were funds that had outside investors, but have since closed because the managing partners don't need capital, they have plenty of their own. What's scarce is good projects, not capital.

    I know this loan is a mess right now. But the LTV is 35%-40% and there are some other alternatives that it could lead to that are enticing and favorable from a risk/reward perspective. Really, it's a pre-foreclosure property with equity. Wouldn't most rehabbers&flippers like to have access to properties like this prior to them making it on a foreclosure list?

    And David.. That is a bold prediction, I can only hope you're wrong. I do agree with you however that things have gotten too cozy.

    As far as "something more than talk needs to happen", that's why I'm here. David, what would you suggest the next step to be? A Notice of Default from the attorney? If so, when?

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    I didn't bother reading anyone else's response. Simple solution; foreclose. The overbid will go to the borrower and life goes on.

    There is no upside to this situation you put yourself into so just do what needs to be done and then be done with it.

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    My ten cents on the disposition of the asset. If it were my note, regardless of anything else, you want the guy to pay the loan back and it sounds like the guy wants to pay the loan back. If you have not done so, you need to drill into what is causing the financial hardship.

    Make no bones about it, this is a distressed loan. Distressed loans are high touch, administratively intense loans. So take the idea of simply collecting payments and a conversation here and there and multiply those tasks by 10. Plan to be involved and plan to stay involved for likely close to over a year. Heavy in the beginning and lighter in the end.

    To some extent, you as a Mortgagee, have to be the mature thinker rooted in reality. Usually financial problems with borrowers are not solved within one or two periods (months) and a plan to help the borrower involves a little more time and effort. Depending on what other influences play a role into his delinquencies, you might look at a forbearance for several periods. Perhaps where you temporarily reduce the interest rate to allow the borrower to get caught up.

    I don't agree with the foreclosure reactions here. Or at least with the limited knowledge of the situation, I don't agree with pursuing NOD right now. I think that might be perceived as hostile and you want to exhaust alternatives to foreclosure if possible. Not that a borrower thinking I, as a Mortgagee, am being hostile by pursuing my remedies but in a negotiation sense, we all see he can sell the property and be done with this. So I think foreclosure sooner or later to him becomes a threat, conversations with threats are generally not productive. I wouldn't want him to clam up and stop working with me. I think you have to warn him first by providing a plausible solution, which is beneficial to both of you, where you do take some hit, about what you are willing to do and what you will be forced to do if that plan doesn't work.

    When we look at those types of plans, our approach is to ensure items which we would advance on are covered first. This way as a mortgagee we are not adding additional capital to the asset, exacerbating the problem. Sometimes it involves a plan for each separate item. So, create a plan to catch back up on taxes and pay the tax advance back. Separate from his P&I obligation. Then create a plan to allow him to catch up and pay his P&I obligation, perhaps this calls for a forbearance for a period of time to allow him to get caught up.

    An arrangement like this can be something like reducing the interest rate temporarily to say 2.0% for several periods, like 6 months. Setting up a 'catch up' plan to fully fund his current escrow demands. You will have to look at when the taxes are due for the current year. Then back calculate how many periods he has to pay into an account to reach the total amount needed. If you sum both the insurance and taxes and divide by 12, you will get an escrow without a buffer. If you take that payment and add three of the payments you just calculated to your previous sum and re-divide by 12, you will create an escrow with a buffer which should help cover some increases in taxes and insurance. When you plan this out, make sure the balance needed is reached prior to the period payment is due. Also, as a mortgagee, if you collect escrows, you must distribute those funds in line with any discount offered for early payment by the county. (you will definitely want to have this loan boarded with a Mortgage Servicer to lessen your admin)

    So once you have those two ideas setup, you can then look at repayment of the advance. You can simply create an extend term for this repayment plan, depending on the balance and finances of the borrower. If this obligation does not fit within his income parameters within the next 24 months, I would consider deferring into the principal of the loan and move forward with life. Keep it simple for the borrower and you, first and foremost.

    It is tough, without knowing what the actual numbers are to come up with a plan on this side of the computer screen so I am trying to express the ideas, not the specific time, rates or payments. In that sense, the guiding idea would be sometimes strategically it makes more sense to take close to 0% interest for a short period of time to allow for the borrower to reposition. Make no bones about it though, this requires some baby-sitting on your part. Call or give notice before payment is due during any forbearance period, nag him anytime he alludes to not being prepared to pay, dig into why. Call the day of payment due and certainly call the day after, if he is late. In that sense, you do sort of treat the borrower a little child like, you are not scolding them, but helping them live up to their obligation. It seems this is viable for you since you already have a decent relationship with the guy.

    Putting this plan formally on the table also allows you to gently broach the topic of 'what if'. What if he misses one payment or is late? Somewhere in here you have to draw the line and say, if you do this or if this happens, I will be forced to initiate foreclosure or he should consider selling the property. You can even follow it up with, I don't want to do that but I will be forced to in order to protect my interests. Or something that nature. This is your 'Jerry Maguire' moment, it's not you, it's me.

    It is not easy to dig into another person's financial situation. This particular case could be easy or hard due to your relationship. You have to know. He has to share with you, in detail and if needed with proof. Mind you, if you were a institutional Mortgagee, he would have several hoops to jump through before he got any type of deal/plan. As you look at his actual household income, if 40%+ of his income has to go to housing obligations, the real answer maybe sell the house and find something more affordable.

  • CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
    13y

    Peter: Your thinking is bifurcated (that's such a cool word, just had to use it, attorneys use it when referring to dual agency and other stuff, very technical, I don't know what it means exactly) between the loan and getting the house. You should concentrate on the loan and let the house ownership land where it may. Stop paying the taxes but make sure the insurance is paid. I know you can pay the taxes and collect interest on the payments but the bigger concern is getting the loan back on track. If he has missed only one payment I would probably not start foreclosure just yet.

    This reminds me a little of the landlord that complains about the non-paying tenant that it took a year to get out. When asked when did you give the three-day notice, he says, well, about 8 months after he stopped paying, well then, that's why it took a year to get him out...you get the idea. You have to find the line between being fair and being too nice, it took me a while.

    If you haven't already, you might hire a loan servicing company, they know the law, send notices and can even start foreclosure if necessary. I don't know about your state, but in mine, there are a bunch of notices that need to be sent to the (consumer loan) borrower before a NOD can be recorded, a loan servicing company does this routinely ... these notices may be enough to wake him up. I would at least get started on these preliminary notices. It also gets an independent third party involved reducing the cozyness and allows the you to defer to a "higher authority", the old "higher authority" negotiating angle.

    "He is self-employed, and basically is a dinosaur in an industry that just doesn't have great long-term prospects in my opinion. On multiple occasions I have mentioned getting a part-time job. He told me in the past, and this weekend, that the time is better spent just working harder on his business and "busting his ***"." Sadly, I think you are correct in your observation that he doesn't have great long-term prospects. This is how I can make the bold prediction that he will not pay. If he does somehow start paying, I'll bet you will go through the same thing in the then near future. My prediction that you will not get the house at a investor price is based on the fact that this investor business is solidly based on the law of large numbers. Meaning, simply, to find a deal you have to market to a large number of owners before you get one ... you are dealing with a sample set of one in this case, therefore, statistically, no deal.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Thanks Dion, great post! I'll try to respond to some of the issues raised.


    If you have not done so, you need to drill into what is causing the financial hardship.

    Lack of income is the main culprit here. There is no evidence of frivolous spending or excess in the borrower's lifestyle. Other than the house, he is probably living on, and spending considerably less than most people in the neighborhood. Single, divorced (where a chunk of the equity went years ago).

    Back in March I went through his expenses with him, and they are in the neighborhood of $3k per month. Note payment is $515, property taxes are approx. $450, home insurance policy around $100. That puts PITI at roughly $1,065, or 35% of his monthly expenses. Probably be a good idea to sit down and dig a little deeper to clarify expenses. I'm pretty sure this is more of an income problem and not a case of poor money management.

    Income fluctuates based on sales, and housing obligations likely exceed 40% in some months. A small portion of his income is recurring via monthly payments, but the majority of the little money he does make is when he makes a sale. A sale typically nets him between $1,000 and $2,000, and is occasionally bundled with a monthly servicing agreement. Hard to say. I can ask for some specific revenue and income figures. But I my gut tells me the real answer is selling the house and finding something more affordable. If I had to guess, I would say six or seven months out of the year, housing obligations could very well exceed 40% of his income.

    This a bigger concern for me. I'm fine with the LTV, and am comfortable with the collateral and neighborhood. But it is becoming a nuisance and a hassle. A performing loan for 5 years at 5% (3.5 remaining) is one thing. Clearly things have been muddled by me attempting to keep a neighbor from losing their home. I see that now. Certainly don't want to have a stress ball on my hands for 5%.

    ***This really is the crux in my opinion. For the purposes of this note, "items which we would advance on" is property taxes of ~$5,500 per year, due Jan 30 of each year. My original thinking was that I didn't mind paying these (my limit initially was 2 years, so far I've paid one year's taxes) so long as I can charge the borrower interest. Based on the responses I've received so far, most people seem to think this plan is flawed. I'm coming around in agreement and see that it does "exacerbate the problem".

    My takeaway from your comments re: items already advanced on, and upcoming payments (2013 prop taxes) is:

    1.) Devise a plan to repay expenses already paid, and

    2.) Come up with a plan to set funds aside in escrow for upcoming taxes.

    These are great in theory, and I may actually have some luck with #1. If we can't resolve that, I see it being highly unlikely to make any progress on #2.

    I feel like I'm hearing two schools of thought on this forum regarding how best to proceed:

    a.) Get out now and save yourself the hassle, there are better uses of capital out there.

    b.) Work with him, get involved, don't go the hostile route and proceed with foreclosure.

    Not sure if these are mutually exclusive, but I know if I choose b.) first and exhaust reasonable alternatives, I can always do a.) But almost assuredly won't have any luck with b.) if I just send a NOD now and am perceived as being hostile. Perhaps the NOD will be a good reality check. Thoughts?

    I'd also like to "grow the box" of choices from 'A' and 'B' to the following:

    1. Send the NOD (make sure preliminary notices are sent first as Dave suggested)

    A.) Follow through with foreclosure process prior to 2013 tax payment due Jan 30. "Cut and move on" option.

    B.) NOD serves as a reality check to devise a plan to repay past due balance. Give a little time to see if the mutually agreed upon plan is working

    C.) If borrower can't cure default via plan, and can't pay 2013 taxes proceed with acceleration to motivate borrower to sell the house.

    D.) If borrower can't cure default via plan, and can't pay 2013 taxes, and isn't willing to sell the house as an option, then proceed with foreclosure**I'd add here per the attorney's advice, it will be easier to not have a 3rd party involved (taxing authority) if we proceed with foreclosure. His recommendation was to either pay the taxes, or proceed prior to the next tax bill. But either way not have an outstanding tax lien.

    2. No NOD, examine expenses and income, devise a plan, interest rate reduction."forbearance route" Dion suggested. Some agreed upon pre-determined time frame to see if forbearance is working at all, and borrower is making progress on advances made on his behalf.

    A.) Borrower makes no progress with forbearance and 2013 taxes are due, encourage buyer to sell the house. Don't pay taxes. Still no NOD sent.

    B.) Borrower makes no progress with forbearance and 2013 taxes are due. Don't pay taxes on his behalf ---> Send NOD and proceed to 1(c)

    I really do appreciate all the responses, I've received some great feedback. Above is how I'm thinking of the progression in my mind. Given these options, I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks would be the best next step. Great ideas, but don't feel like there is a consensus yet.

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Well, we have some more details to work with.

    In regards to the two schools of thought, I think selection (a) is a vague idea from less than experienced Mortgagees. The point for you is to get your capital back. Certainly having that take place by a willing borrower is better than forcing it from a foreclosure.

    The Notice of Default or Payment Demand is the preliminary notice you need to send to the borrower. Your attorney should be able to provide one. Essentially, you have to say the borrower missed a payment and has 20 days to cure the default or you might accelerate the note and call the entire balance due which could result in foreclosure. Then you have to record a Notice of Default in record prior to sale. Two different events. The main idea here, is get the notice letter and start delivering it when he misses a payment. You can file the recorded letter when needed.

    The idea this borrower will have 2014 tax payment of $5,500 by January is pretty far fetched. I would also stop making Jan 2014 a deadline, except for taxes due. Remember, a tax sale will not occur in Feb 2014 if taxes are paid, so there is no fire drill for this date.

    The borrower's income and expenses do seem to be the problem. The borrower has $3,000+ per month in expenses. In the worst case scenario, the borrower would need to be earning $6,000 per month. This is referred to his back end DTI. That is all of his expenses divided by his income, the guide is less than 50%. He seems to be at 100% if not more. His mortgage obligation of $1,065 would mean his front end DTI, which is only his mortgage obligation divided by his income, at 40%, his income needs to exceed $2,662 per month. This is not all that complicated to figure out he has income problems. From what I read, it sounds like he struggles to consistently make $3,000 per month. Meanwhile, he has obligations that exceed what he makes at $3,000 per month. So only if he had no other expenses would it seem like he can actually afford this mortgage.

    We don't understand what the $2,000 is made up from. That is a pretty large number. It would seem the borrower is choosing those obligations over the mortgage. I would look at a consolidation of those expenses as a possible, although seemingly remote, chance to reposition the borrower. Even if, there is not a high chance of you extending additional credit to him to consolidate, running through this exercise with him and you looking at this might help keep the relationship healthy, as you are trying to help him. He, as a result, starts to see his lack of affordability. That might lead to the conclusion that a RE Sale is proper.

    His current income and expense situation will be a problem when it comes to renting it would seem as well. A housing obligation of $1,000 per month is not too far off from where he might have to pay rent. Which it seems he would struggle with as well. So, understanding what those other expenses are, might help lead the conversation into a make sense sale of the property. If he can walk with a some money from the equity, perhaps he can use that to extinguish some of these expenses and give himself a little monthly relief.

    You need to properly send demand notice for missed payment. Also for tax advance. I would not rush into a full foreclosure. I think the writing is on the wall, and it is a function of you helping him understand he will not get out from under this and he doesn't want a foreclosure on his record. It seems selling the real property is his most viable solution.

    I would set up a make sense plan with him on this matter. Get the property cleaned up and listed. Let's continue the assumption he will not be paying property taxes in Jan 2014. That is OK if he sells the property, the taxes will net out. So you don't have to worry about those right this moment either. Between now and sale, you still want to address his debt service with you. Perhaps look at forbearing him until sale, so you can get some type of cash flow from him. This is really to just put the idea of 'the sale will cure it all' in check. Nobody knows how long it will take for sale and he should still try and make some type of payment to you, even if small.

    You may want to stay involved with the listing price number decision as well. Desperate folks may try and list too high, which we all know is not good. You can not control what the number is, but commentary around reality will help move things forward.

    I think the conclusion with some of the new details are pretty straight forward. He can not afford this obligation. I wouldn't move into a foreclosure stance or threaten foreclosure, if he is reasonable he will see the same thing you see. So you can disposition this loan without adding foreclosure legal fees and making it hostile, provided he complies.

    If you hit this point in the conversation and he makes it clear that is not an option he wants to consider. Then it seems like he is going to force the foreclosure process onto himself. From your post, I don't think it goes that way, but you never know.





  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Thanks Dion, another great post. Now I see why people were quick to mention your history of insightful posts and advice.

    Progress has been made, and I'm glad I reached out to this forum. Just emailed my attorney on this matter, and asked him to go ahead and draft and send the NOD.

    Also, I'm not going to pay the 2013 taxes due in January. My previous stance was, why not pay the $5,500 and just charge interest, plenty of equity cushion. No need to put more $$ into this situation, it's time to get the funds out.

    I'm going to dig a little deeper into this and meet with borrower next week. I have a detailed list of questions and requests for bills and statements, and his 2012 tax return. Going to approach this from the angle of, I'm trying to help him find ways to save a little money monthly, and put that towards the tax bill we paid on his behalf. Just going through the exercise, combined with the NOD, will hopefully help him along his path to realizing that he needs to move.

    Some information from 6 or 7 months ago when we went over his expenses:

    Warehouse Unit for business parts & storage ~ $350 / month

    Auto Payment - ~$300 / month (roughly 3 years in to a 5 yr loan)

    Auto Insurance - ~$50

    Gas - ~$200 (could be higher, drives a lot on service route and delivery)

    Utilities - ~$200 / month

    Cell Phone (which is also his business phone) - $75

    Food - no idea.

    Cable & Internet - I think he cancelled this, not 100% sure.

    My basic approach is going to be first, get an honest and accurate assessment of his expenses. Second, get real income numbers. Third, get him to commit to a plan to shave some expenses and put funds towards overdue balance. Fourth, ask him if he's willing to get a second job (part-time) to pay meet his expenses and pay me back. Next, are you willing to sell your house on your terms to avoid a forced sale.

    If that doesn't work, then it's "Hey, I'm not a charity, if you are not willing to do these things to help yourself, I can't continue to help you"

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Notice of Default went out today. I'll update the thread as things progress.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    NOD certainly got the borrower's attention. He's freaking out.

    Sounds like I'll get some sort of a partial payment next week.

  • Investor · El Paso/Socorro, TX · Member since 2012 · 365 posts · 75 votes
    12y

    @Peter Lambert Well, it's been a while? Any update? Hopefully things improved. He could sell and buy a house in El Paso with that much equity. $80K will get you a decent place here with land for his equipment, all he would have to do is pay taxes and utilities.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Hi Charles,

    Things have improved slightly, beginning with sending the Notice of Default-There are still some late payments, ex. November was two weeks late, December was about 10 days early.

    Borrower is "caught up" with the monthly payments, but the 2012 taxes (plus interest) still have yet to be paid. I am not paying 2013 property taxes. Borrower keeps telling me he'll "have a chunk" of the 2012 tax bill ( ~ $6k with interest) just after the New Year. We'll see.

    I seem to get the best response immediately after sending a letter following a late payment.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    In 10 days you need a loan servicer on this OO note.

    I recall much of this and didn't get involved, it's well covered.

    Your note is predatory as a lender. I see where you have referenced tax penalties as your basis, we are not the government nor can you tie any justification in lending to what the government gets away with.

    I suppose the initial issues Dion pointed out still exist. I'd certainly not go to foreclosure! This guy seems like some chump that would walk away with that kind of equity, most likely you'd end up in a judicial FC where your note would be torn apart next year.

    Seems too there were thought you'd get the house, you don't, you're a lender, he'd have to agree to give you a deed for you to go in a rehab the place. You are entitled to your money owing, nothing more, you'd need to sell it and he is entitled to access equity.

    At this point, I'd tell him new laws now apply and both of you need to redo this loan. Get to a LMO and get it in compliance, I'd forgive the fees to some extent, they are excessive, the LMO can do that. Next, get this note to a servicer. You can negotiate the servicing fee under a new note.

    Get the guy on a new track, what ever it may take to get a LMO to sign off on this. Then, if and when he defaults you'd have a chance in foreclosure.

    This best thing to do is to have him sell the house, 1. he can't afford it. 2. he could lose equity and 3. tell him he must redo the note to be legal or you need to call it due. If he can't qualify, let him hear that from the LMO. That should motivate him to sell. Instead of being the bad guy, use the excuse of the SAFE Act and Dodd-Frank that he (and the note) needs to be in compliance.

    We haven't mentioned politics in the legal system there, if you have the guru of all attorneys, the judge knows him. If your attorney screwed up, they may seek a solution of allowing a FC, no one knows what any judge will do. I just wouldn't rely on his reputation with my money. That attorney also has a problem if he originated that note, he has insurance for his errors in practice (bet you'd need an out of town or state attorney to go there). You may have some insurance/assurances there.

    Keep a low profile and get him to sell it, IMO. :)

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Hi Bill thanks for the reply,

    You stated in your post "In 10 days you need a loan servicer on this note." Can you elaborate please?

    Also, you mention "Get the guy on a new track, what ever it may take to get a LMO to sign off on this."

    Sounds great in theory, but how do I do this? If borrower can't qualify, can a LMO still get this note in compliance? Any additional info would be great.

    Based on past posts it seems like both you and Dione have some experience in this area, and what I'm getting is that I may not want to force this to a foreclosure for any number of reason including "where your note would be torn apart". While I don't think that's the case based on discussions with my RE attorney, I agree, it's not the preferred route for anyone. I think what's most likely in that scenario is borrower filing BK, and a long drawn out process.

    When I initially started this thread, borrower was behind 3 payments, and an annual tax bill. As mentioned above, things have slightly improved. In addition to making the 3 back payments, he has since made four payments (September, October, November, December), though two were late, one on time, and one early. Of course, there's still the issue of the 2012 tax bill... Though it's crystal clear to me, it makes it a little harder to drive the message home to him that he can't afford and needs to sell after the last few months. In a way, it would almost be easier if he couldn't make the next three or four payments.

    I fully agree the best option for the borrower is to sell the home. However, getting him to realize and accept that on his own is the challenging part. Perhaps working with a LMO, having issues qualifying, and hearing from an additional party would help. I'm also assuming that delinquent tax payment letters from the taxing authority will help him come to this realization. Tax payments aren't considered late until Feb 1st, and a delinquent letter would soon follow.

    So right now, I'm just sitting tight, accepting payments, and having the occasional conversation about selling his home - which he has no interest in... Next step could be to record the NOD. But I mostly base my next move on 1.) is he current on his monthly payment , 2.) is he making any progress on the tax bill.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Originally posted by @Peter Lambert:
    Hi Bill thanks for the reply,
    You stated in your post "In 10 days you need a loan servicer on this note." Can you elaborate please?




    I'm pretty sure this is not accurate. The loan servicing requirement goes into effect on Jan 10 2014 for loan applications taken on or after Jan 10 2014. As far a I know lenders, do not have to add servicing to loans made before this date.
  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y


    What's the language in your mortgage instrument and/or note regarding taxes and insurance payments? In a standard deed of trust where I am, unpaid taxes and insurance would be a default on the terms of the note and hence foreclose-able. You'd get a NOD from me if the taxes were not paid on time or if you failed to provide evidence of insurance.

    This thread is full of cautions about the enforceability of your note that may or may not apply. At this point I wouldn't worry about that so much. I would stay on top of officially and formally noticing the borrower for ANY default on that note. Your borrower needs to be trained to meet the terms of the note. It's up to him to pay on time, sell the property, or be foreclosed on. I'd not be in communication with him about his ideas or strategies. He performs or he doesn't. If he doesn't perform he gets a notice. It's not really more complicated than that.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the Deed of Trust clearly states that paying property taxes are borrower's obligation, and failing to pay would constitute a default. In the NOD that was sent, it listed the payments missed and unpaid taxes both as reasons why the note was in default. Insurance premiums have been paid quarterly by the borrower.

    So, NOD has been sent, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, it really got his attention. Back payments were made, and future payments seem to have been more timely. Dion mentioned that sending the NOD and recording the NOD are two separate events. That's why I mentioned I could now record the NOD as a next step.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Peter Lambert:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the Deed of Trust clearly states that paying property taxes are borrower's obligation, and failing to pay would constitute a default. In the NOD that was sent, it listed the payments missed and unpaid taxes both as reasons why the note was in default. Insurance premiums have been paid quarterly by the borrower.

    So, NOD has been sent, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, it really got his attention. Back payments were made, and future payments seem to have been more timely. Dion mentioned that sending the NOD and recording the NOD are two separate events. That's why I mentioned I could now record the NOD as a next step.

    I would never send an NOD without recording it.

    You sent an NOD and he did not pay the back taxes. So regardless of mortgage payments, he's been in default on the note since August 2013 when you first posted. Where I am it's 90 days from recording the NOD to recording a notice of sale. I could be foreclosing right now.....or the borrower would have found a way to pay the taxes or sell in order to pay me off.

    Borrower training is only as good as the enforcement. You've reinforced to your borrower for the last 4 months that the taxes get paid when he gets around to it.

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    K. Marie,

    I didn't go back and reread the entire thread but from what I remember, there actually were deeper issues in this paperwork. Defects that could give rise to affirmative defense in foreclosure. What Bill is suggesting is to cure those defects by re-doing the note. The issue becomes complicated since the origination is defective so simply having an attorney do a modification to cure the defects may not cure the defects if challenged.

    DF has put further requirements on the servicing of loans, which frankly no layman should be trying to mess with. So while the rule does not mandate the servicing of said loan, it puts forth requirements that likely will not be met or adhered to in a private setting. This is also aside from the state specific rules around the servicing of a mortgage loan without a license.

    As an example of how not clear cut this is and how some of the advice to be 'firm and harsh' (for no better words), the borrower could argue they have sought relief which through conversations and delivery of documents, etc, etc seems like it could be easily proven. By then filing for foreclosure the Mortgagee (the OP) would be guilty of dual tracking which is expressly forbidden.

    The approach mentioned, I am sure would be many folks same path, however that does not make it the legal and correct path. This is why it is CRITICAL to get the loan to a mortgage servcing company that knows what it is doing, as most layman do not.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Does anyone in the BP community have a recommendation for a mortgage servicing company in Texas?

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Dion DePaoli:
    K. Marie,

    I didn't go back and reread the entire thread but from what I remember, there actually were deeper issues in this paperwork. Defects that could give rise to affirmative defense in foreclosure. What Bill is suggesting is to cure those defects by re-doing the note. The issue becomes complicated since the origination is defective so simply having an attorney do a modification to cure the defects may not cure the defects if challenged.

    DF has put further requirements on the servicing of loans, which frankly no layman should be trying to mess with. So while the rule does not mandate the servicing of said loan, it puts forth requirements that likely will not be met or adhered to in a private setting. This is also aside from the state specific rules around the servicing of a mortgage loan without a license.

    As an example of how not clear cut this is and how some of the advice to be 'firm and harsh' (for no better words), the borrower could argue they have sought relief which through conversations and delivery of documents, etc, etc seems like it could be easily proven. By then filing for foreclosure the Mortgagee (the OP) would be guilty of dual tracking which is expressly forbidden.

    The approach mentioned, I am sure would be many folks same path, however that does not make it the legal and correct path. This is why it is CRITICAL to get the loan to a mortgage servcing company that knows what it is doing, as most layman do not.

    Dion: Without rereading the thread, I remember the note having some loan terms that might not pass the sniff test. Predatory interest rates I think.

    My understanding of the servicing put forth in DF is that takes effect for new loans originated in 2014. I've researched servicing a bit because I created a consumer carry back loan in December and wanted to make sure that servicing wasn't required. That being said, if I had a consumer OO loan in default today I'd probably get a servicer AND hire a foreclosing trustee service. I wouldn't do any DIY noticing at this point.

    Point taken about the possibility of legal push back from the borrower. That being said, I think the OP is in a non judicial state and going forward with foreclosure on his note is something I would do, even with the possible note defects.

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I posted two videos from CFPB which are summaries of the rules. Relative to this thread.

    If you are a layman servicing a loan, this will be good video to watch (amongst the others they have) to get a little head spinning and to realize, you really don't want to be in the business of servcing without a licensed servicer.

    Remember that shot game with "Roxanne" by the Police, you can do that here with the word 'required' in some of these videos.

    Ability-to-Repay and Qualified Mortgage Rule

    New Mortgage Servicing Rules


  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    You might want to review the application to make sure the borrower did not submit fraudulent information, which is a felony when they got the loan, and if they did you have a bargain chip and judges don't like mortgage fraud.


    Joe Gore

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Thanks for posting the videos. I've watched once, will watch again to let things sink in.

    Joe, I see you're in Dallas. Can you recommend a mortgage servicing company in Texas? I would prefer to find someone in my immediate area that I can sit down with to go over the Note, Deed of Trust, and specifics of the servicing arrangement.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.