Real Estate Note - Borrower constantly late, ideas?

Real Estate Note - Borrower constantly late, ideas?

Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes

Hi everyone - first post here after visiting and reading the forum for several years. Looking for advice on a deal I'm already in on. I'll try to be as concise as possible.

Loan is in the State of Texas. 18 months ago I refinanced a home for a neighbor and acquaintance facing foreclosure. I paid off the previous lender, and loaned the borrower approx. $95k on a house that I felt very confident would fetch $225k-$250k in a distressed sale or foreclosure. Interest rate 5%, 30 year amortization, 5 year balloon. Much more favorable than hard money rates in the area, and I realize now the predicament loaning $ to friends or neighbors put you in. That being said, I used real estate attorney in the area, the note is secured by a deed of trust, and I have the first and only lien. Loan to value ratio was a big part of the reason I did this, and the fact that two years ago, getting 5% for 5 years didn't seem too bad, especially with the equity cushion in the home.

Surprise, we're 18 months into the loan and things aren't looking that great. Borrower has been late and behind multiple payments for the majority of the mortgage payments. Taxes aren't escrowed, and I had to pay the 2012 tax bill (a little over $5,000) in January 2013. Borrower is currently two months past due, one year of taxes past due, and doesn't have anything socked away for 2013 property taxes due in January 2014.

I welcome all advice and suggestions moving forward. Before you criticize me on how bad of a loan this is, consider the following...

-House directly across the street just sold for $400k (same sq. ft., though recently remodeled).

-Neighborhood has had considerable price increases in the last year and houses are generally pending in under a week.

-Current outstanding balance is a little over $100k on a house that I think would fetch $250k-$275k in a fire-sale situation.

-Interest rate on overdue unpaid balance is 10%, compounded monthly.

-If the previous 18 months are any indication, my guess is borrower does not have the means to make any progress on current overdue balance, and will add $6,000-$7,000 each year to the overdue balance (Tax payment of $5,500 and one or two missed monthly payments).

-I'm in my early thirties, borrower is 57. For all practical purposes, this is sort of functioning as a reverse mortgage. For every missed mortgage or tax payment, borrower transfers equity in the home to lender.

Questions for the people on the forum:

1. Should I just cut and run now? Borrower has shown no indication that he will be able to make timely payments. This will more than likely involve a foreclosure process. Things could get ugly, and I'm almost certain borrower would file bankruptcy if I foreclosed. What is the cutoff limit, in % terms, those of you who have experience in these types of situations, to start the process? Example, if house would get $275k in foreclosure, do I wait until unpaid balance is $150k?, $200k? This is before legal expenses. How much should I budget for legal expenses associated with the foreclosure process?

2. Or should I take the long-term approach? Any additional money that I pay (annual property taxes) gets added to matured unpaid principal balance at 10% and compounds monthly. Over the course of 5, 10, 20 years, there could be several hundred thousand dollars worth of equity in the home.

3. I speak with the borrower regularly and have talked with him about additional employment ideas, and have suggested he just sell the house. He would pocket anywhere from $150k-$200k on a sale depending on how much work he is willing to put into it.

4. When I first drafted the note, interest rates were historically low. There have been pretty substantial moves in the 10yr in the last several months. I'm glad this note has a 5 yr balloon, but should I push to increase the rate now if he wants to continue? Language of the note gives lender the sole discretion to extend for an additional year, each year after the first 5. I was thinking of amending the terms of the note to 7.5% if he wants to continue and use the threat of foreclosure as leverage. Thoughts on this idea?

5. Should I require borrower to escrow taxes? He likely won't be able to make the payments, but this would increase the matured unpaid balance faster than paying one annual payment.

I welcome any other ideas or suggestions. One thing I'm not really willing to do is sell the note. I'm leaning towards moving on it quickly (after about two years of late and delinquent payments) or riding this out for the long haul.

Thanks for your time and input.

0Reply
147 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
13y

My answers don't take into account your personal relationship with the borrower, because I don't know enough about that, and it may be impossible to salvage anyway.

First, although you appear to have a significant equity cushion, it is amazing how quickly that can change. Accrued interest and late fees, unpaid taxes, unpaid insurance, (have you checked?), deferred maintenance, possible retaliation damage, legal fees for foreclosure, more legal fees because he declares BK, changing market conditions, yada yada. So I would NOT recommend riding it out.

The second consideration is whether your loan is in compliance. While you may have had an attorney draft the documents, if he is not well versed in private lending in your state, you may have violated multiple lending laws. First and foremost would be the SAFE act, implemented in 2009, which requires that residential lenders be licensed. If the TX version of the SAFE act requires that, you may have trouble foreclosing if he pushes back. I find that regular real estate attorneys that don't deal with private lending are unaware of the SAFE act requirements. I don't know TX law at all, so you need a TX attorney very experienced in private lending.

So no, I wouldn't wait, I'd act now, and I'd first consult a TX attorney specializing in private lending. There are TX investors here on BP that do private lending and they should be able to help you find an attorney. Of if you know all that and are sure you are in the clear, I'd still not wait. Time is not on your side. Just my opinion.

See this reply in the discussion

69 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    My answers don't take into account your personal relationship with the borrower, because I don't know enough about that, and it may be impossible to salvage anyway.

    First, although you appear to have a significant equity cushion, it is amazing how quickly that can change. Accrued interest and late fees, unpaid taxes, unpaid insurance, (have you checked?), deferred maintenance, possible retaliation damage, legal fees for foreclosure, more legal fees because he declares BK, changing market conditions, yada yada. So I would NOT recommend riding it out.

    The second consideration is whether your loan is in compliance. While you may have had an attorney draft the documents, if he is not well versed in private lending in your state, you may have violated multiple lending laws. First and foremost would be the SAFE act, implemented in 2009, which requires that residential lenders be licensed. If the TX version of the SAFE act requires that, you may have trouble foreclosing if he pushes back. I find that regular real estate attorneys that don't deal with private lending are unaware of the SAFE act requirements. I don't know TX law at all, so you need a TX attorney very experienced in private lending.

    So no, I wouldn't wait, I'd act now, and I'd first consult a TX attorney specializing in private lending. There are TX investors here on BP that do private lending and they should be able to help you find an attorney. Of if you know all that and are sure you are in the clear, I'd still not wait. Time is not on your side. Just my opinion.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    I agree with Ann, there is an old saying in lending, usually, you can't make a bad loan good. While I loved to get late fees, I did not allow fees to accrue for very long as you are simply putting your money at risk. With late payments you'll have a hard time getting your loan refinanced, now or in the future if they fail to change their ways, most don't change.

    The SAFE Act will apply to any extension or modification of the loan as that is considered a new extension of credit secured. See an attorney! :)

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Thanks for your input Ann and Bill. First thing is to make sure the loan is in compliance, and whether or not I need to be licensed (I'm not). This is the only note I own, and I don't think I qualify as an originator. Anyone on this forum know the exemptions?

    Sounds like the first thing I need to do is contact the attorney who drafted the note and closed the transaction. Anything in addition to the two fundamental questions above? Do I need to be licensed? Is the loan in compliance? What issues could this cause in the event of foreclosure? This will make a huge difference in how I proceed.

    Ann - yes I have checked to make sure borrower is paying insurance. Payments are quarterly and I am contacted after each payment. Deferred maintenance and retaliation I view as a low risk, borrower takes great care of the property. Big question is are there any ballpark estimates for a straightforward (if there is such a thing) foreclosure in Texas? What about one where borrower declares BK? I'll have to pull the note out to double check, but I believe it caps legal fees associated with collecting and foreclosing at 15% of outstanding balance.

    Thanks for the help, any more info would be greatly appreciated. Now, I'm a little concerned with the SAFE Act and whether or not I'm in compliance.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    I agree with Ann, there is an old saying in lending, usually, you can't make a bad loan good. While I loved to get late fees, I did not allow fees to accrue for very long as you are simply putting your money at risk. With late payments you'll have a hard time getting your loan refinanced, now or in the future if they fail to change their ways, most don't change.

    The SAFE Act will apply to any extension or modification of the loan as that is considered a new extension of credit secured. See an attorney! :)

    Gee, I hit quick reply and my old post came up......anyway......

    Peter, if you sold a house that was owner occupied and financed it with an attorney originating the note I doubt you'll have any SAFE Act issues, above you said you drafted the note, now we see an attorney did it, big difference as to compliance.

    As to costs of foreclosure, a trustee usually charges 10%, may have minimums, 2/3 hundred for publications, title search is required, filing fees, taxes and you'll need insurance again at a higher rate as unoccupied. To say 15% may or may not cover it as it depends on the balance owing.

    I'd strongly suggest you see that attorney and get a mortgage servicer involved to service your note, point that out to your attorney as well. A servicer will be in compliance with loan servicing requirements which have also changed and they are in the business of collecting to include any foreclosure action required, this is not an area for the novice anymore, no offense, but you can get in trouble without knowing it. 15 or 20 bucks paid monthly to a servicer would be well worth it on this one from what I see. :)

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    I think some of this is going to be a little painful, you might want to sit down. Texas SAFE Act allows for a private lender to issue their own funds for a loan, provided the Lender (You) did not take application and negotiate terms of the loan. It is not clear if you obtained the assistance of a licensed MLO to negotiate but if you did not, you have a defective note and security instrument. As far as I understand it, your attorney is not exempt from licensure either, so if he negotiated the loan is still defective.

    There are some serious issues that I see in your post both in the structure of the loan, the provisions of the loan and might even have impacts on the servicing of your loan.

    1. The loan you made is/was favorable for the market at the time. The issues seems to be that the borrower can not afford the loan. This could be a large defect, if you did not take steps to ensure the borrower could afford the loan, enforcement will suffer.

    2. The 10% Interest "Compounded Monthly" is a serious concern. Usury in Texas is 10%. Monthly Compounding Interest plus fees can easily put over that number. Another defect.

    3. The manner in which you mentally address the idea of the borrower missing payments, which are then compounding and essentially stripping away the borrower's equity is predatory in nature.

    4. 'Forcing' the borrower to accept a higher interest rate in lieu of foreclosure, as you stated bump his interest rate up to 7.5%, where there is no material benefit to the borrower is predatory in practice. Note as well, the only way you can do this is through a modification. Modifications that do not afford a borrower any benefit such as rate reduction, principal reduction, payment reduction but benefit the Mortgagee can be found defective and unenforceable.

    5. Unless there is a specific provision in the Note, which states that advances made on behalf of the borrower will defer to the end of the loan or be added to the balance, you can't do this at all. Advances are their own accounting segment and a Mortgagee can simply increase the balance at their leisure. (let alone do that and charge interest on it)

    These are just the elephants in the room I see from reading your post. There might be more deeper issues dealing with the manner in which you are currently servicing the note. Did you properly deal with the borrower seeking relief of his hardship? That could be a violation of Dobb-Frank. These are also just some of the laws I am familiar with after buying several mortgages in Houston area earlier this year.

    I suppose I will play the role of doom and gloom. It sounds like you have a pretty large problem with this loan and it's enforceability. I am not sure there would be any value in your loan in the secondary market, so selling it likely is not even an option. The ideas you have of foreclosure at this point seem like distant dreams. The borrower has some serious defense in his corner and I am not sure you could enforce the remedies provided in the note and security instrument. Texas is one of those states which protects its borrowers and primary residences specifically pretty tightly, it is ingrained in the constitution of Texas dating back to Stephen F. Austin and the Legislature of Coahuila, the Mexican state that included Texas, prior to Texas being Texas.

    Now how can you remedy this? I think you need some serious help from a real estate attorney who is 'extremely' versed in real estate law in Texas to consult you on this loan. From some of the provisions in the note, I don't think your attorney who helped you put this together would be who I solely rely on to help cure, if possible, these defects, but that is just my opinion.

  • CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
    13y

    "Things could get ugly, and I'm almost certain borrower would file bankruptcy if I foreclosed."

    Bankruptcy isn't necessarily a bad thing, a chapter 13 BK will force him to start paying if he can ... exactly what you want.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Thanks DIon and David for the replies.

    Dion, in response to your first paragraph, I did not take application and negotiate terms of the note. The attorney drafted the note. Only basic provisions were discussed, interest rate, term, balloon etc... You mention that I may have a defective note and security instrument. What exactly does this mean? Is it possible something so egregious as this could have passed the scrutiny of a RE attorney (partner) at a respectable regional firm, and a title company where we closed?

    Dion -response to the concerns you addressed.

    1. You may be on to something here as far as taking the necessary steps to ensure that borrower could afford the loan. How does one prove this, credit score, tax returns, etc? Back to the original post, I was trying to help someone who was at risk of losing their house (closed about two weeks prior to the scheduled foreclosure date). When I refinanced the note his interest rate was dropped from 10.5% to 5%, reducing P&I payments by over $400 per month. It was my understanding that this was sufficient and would allow borrower to make payments.

    2. Regarding 10% compounded interest being usurious - I guess I need to follow up with the attorney on this (and many other issues). Draft language of the note from the attorney originally had an 18% interest rate on "Matured unpaid principal". I actually thought that was too high, and requested to change it to 10%.

    3. Regarding "predatory in nature", I really don't view this loan that way. As I mentioned earlier, interest rate on previous mortgage was 10.5%. There weren't any origination fees etc..., interest rate was cut in half, on a borrower most banks would completely turn the other way from. This was done to help prevent a neighbor from losing his house due to foreclosure, and allowing some time for things to improve, but not an agreement I wanted to be in indefinitely, hence the 5 year balloon. Current fees associated aren't anywhere near what previous lender charged.

    4. This was just an idea or question. I wouldn't use the word 'force', I think the more correct question is whether or not to consider the idea of a loan modification? With knowledge now of borrower's finances, and the recent move in interest rates, the suggestion of 7.5% was raised (kinda just thrown out there) as an idea to offset some of the risk associated with the loan. Considering people with 800+ credit scores aren't doing much better than 4.375% or 4.5% right now on 30yr fixed, again, I would hardly consider this situation predatory. I've moved away from the loan modification idea, I think the best thing is move forward and move on from this loan, not prolong things. So what is acceptable to charge on unpaid payments in the state of Texas? 10%? Why would the attorney originally draft this at 18%?

    5. I assume this is referring to the property tax payment? There is a provision in the note that allows for Lender to pay property taxes in the event borrower doesn't. My understanding is that the interest rate applied is the same as that on "matured unpaid principle". I'm in Travis county, check out this link

    http://www.traviscountytax.org/pdfs/2011PandIChart.pdf

    Charging 10% and compounded monthly, is a whole lot less than what the County charges on delinquent tax payments. Again, I'd hardly say this is predatory, and find it odd that a state regulation would prevent a private lender from charging more than 10% because that's usury, but allow a taxing authority to charge interest at a 24% annual rate with no cap.

    These are just my responses. You raised some very good points that I am going to follow up with my attorney on immediately. One thing I do agree with you and the previous poster on 100%, is having a third party service the loan. Any recommendations for anyone in the Austin or Central Texas area?

    Also, any recommendations for RE attorney in the Austin area who is "extremely versed" in RE law? Again, I used a referral, who is a partner at a major law firm in Texas. Seems odd that some of these issues would completely be overlooked, but I have a long list of questions, and I'll start there.

    Thanks, and I appreciate any more feedback.

    Oh, and one other thing... It's not like foreclosure is the only option. My relationship with the borrower is good, we get along and talk regularly. Market prices have trended up recently, and him selling the house, is honestly (and objectively) the best financial decision for him at this time. It could be a win-win for both, and I think he is somewhat receptive to the idea. I'd put the odds of that happening at 25%-35%.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    After you’ve gotten some good legal advice, which you should follow, and you’ve educated yourself, I think your best bet is to re-approach your borrower. Both of you know the handwriting is on the wall; your borrower will have to move in the not-too-distant future.

    It appears to me, Peter, you’re focus has been on repayment and building a healthy unpaid balance. You appear bright, articulate, and I assume, diplomatic. Nonetheless, at 57, with no apparent income or other place to live, if I were your borrower I would likely feel trapped. Sounds like his home is all he’s got and he’s not motivated to look for options since you haven’t taken any action. Thankfully, the home is also appreciating in this market but I agree that you should move now.

    With the $100k to $150k in current equity could he buy a condo for cash and afford the homeowner fees? If he's receptive, you might do some up-front work for him and talk to some agents for options. Do you know how far in debt he is? Could he use the remainder to pay-off his bills? I can’t imagine BK if you’re his only creditor.

    While there'd be no growth in equity, is an apartment out of the question?

    In both cases, you might forgo any penalties or compounding as a gesture of good faith and pressure relief, if he acts soon. Increasing his interest rate will only increase your risk of a catostrophic default here, not lower it.

    If the house across the street is really a comp, he might be able to partner with a rehabber who could drive more equity into the home and share the profit. Perhaps sell it to the rehabber for $250k or $275k, pay you off, and he splits the rehab profits. If you still have the stomach for it, you could participate in the deal as a private lender as well, or just walk. He could take back a note too, or simply maintain ownership. Lot’s of options here but again, it’s doubtful he’ll lift a finger so you’ll have to do some legwork, if he’s receptive.

    The larger hard money lenders in your area are your best bet for a referral to a lending attorney. You might call a few and simply explain your situation. In your case, I wonder if a foreclosure company might be better? The latter would be free, but biased since they’ll want your business, so call both.

    The good news is that equity comes with options. Good luck, Peter.

    Jeff

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Peter Lambert:
    Thanks DIon and David for the replies.

    Dion, in response to your first paragraph, I did not take application and negotiate terms of the note. The attorney drafted the note. Only basic provisions were discussed, interest rate, term, balloon etc... You mention that I may have a defective note and security instrument. What exactly does this mean? Is it possible something so egregious as this could have passed the scrutiny of a RE attorney (partner) at a respectable regional firm, and a title company where we closed?........

    Also, any recommendations for RE attorney in the Austin area who is "extremely versed" in RE law? Again, I used a referral, who is a partner at a major law firm in Texas. Seems odd that some of these issues would completely be overlooked, but I have a long list of questions, and I'll start there." End Quote

    My statements, have no idea how I lost the quote at the end....not normal script here....

    Pete, Dion has a tendency to get excited, LOL, sleep well, by defective he was saying it would not be enforceable, able to collect, not entirely true as you went to an attorney and a reputable one I see. They carry errors, omissions as well as being bonded and professional liability as does every attorney who practices law, in the end they are responsible as they drafted and closed it and there is not much in denying that, so eventually you can be covered, you may not come out without any loss but you could also be indemnified for the mistakes. But I also doubt there were and I'd suggest folks follow the advice given by their attorney over any advice or opinions on any forum, including mine!

    I have already discussed notes with a very good TX atty about three weeks ago and they certainly can draft, originate, process and close notes, they are doing it, so see your attorney!

    I've not seen your note, nor do I know the entire circumstances, beginning to date, nothing about the modifications or negotiations so to go off on ranting speculations would not be good advice. What we do know is that you are in the "asking what to do" stage, lean toward such advice and see your attorney, don't do anything without proper consultation. Good luck! :)

    David passed on some good advice as to options.

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Peter,

    Defective means the instrument and note may be deemed unenforceable. It could also mean fines. Some defects can be cured, some can not. It is an industry term.

    Texas Usury Statute:

    Sec. 302.001. CONTRACTING FOR, CHARGING, OR RECEIVING INTEREST OR TIME PRICE DIFFERENTIAL; USURIOUS INTEREST. (a) A creditor may contract for, charge, and receive from an obligor interest or time price differential.(b) The maximum rate or amount of interest is 10 percent a year except as otherwise provided by law. A greater rate of interest than 10 percent a year is usurious unless otherwise provided by law. All contracts for usurious interest are contrary to public policy and subject to the appropriate penalty prescribed by Chapter 305.

    A commercial loan has a different statute which provides for a higher than 10% rate but this is not a commercial loan. The loan is to a natural person, secured by their primary residence, for domestic purposes not business. I certainly can not speak to what the attorney thought or researched prior to helping put this together. I also will not claim to be an attorney who specializes in Texas law. But in the research we did, including speaking with our counsel and local attorneys, a licensed lender and MLO have options which can allow the rate of a residential loan to exceed 10% to 12% but that is with the presence of a license. You, do not have a license.

    Fundamentally, in the origination process of this loan, it sounds like your attorney, you and the borrower are the only three parties. So there is no licensed MLO taking application and negotiating between you the lender and the borrower for rate, term and other loan features.

    The idea that you provided a loan which was less interest than the previous loan does not substantiate whether you attempted to ensure the debt could be paid back. The borrower is 18 payments into the loan and is already approaching default and has been seriously delinquent for a large portion of the total term of the loan. This not only applies to loan payments but to other obligations under the loan like paying property taxes. "Can he afford the payment?" is not the same as "He should be able to afford this because it is less.". A borrower making a statement of "Yes, I can afford that" is not prudent research on your part to determine repayment capacity. Typically loans collect income statements like W-2's to prove the borrower's true income. That true income is then calculated into a Debt To Income Ratio (DTI) which has affinity on loan approval.

    Regarding #3, the idea of being predatory is clear as day when you talk about the borrower not being able to afford the loan and how you look to see the UPB and Fees accumulate to your advantage. You are allowing the borrower to harm themselves for your gain. Lending money that can not be paid back is predatory. Allowing fees to run up on a borrower to benefit you is stripping equity, that is predatory. Sure, you intentions are good, I don't think you are a bad guy, your actions are flawed from an observation point which does present some predatory characteristics.

    In regards to #4, the idea that the borrower cannot currently afford a 5% loan which has an approaching maturity, and you are aware the borrower could not obtain a conventional loan is the issue. You don't have to use the word "force" for something to be forced. Frankly with what you know now, or at least what is in this post, the borrower should not get any new loan, he can't pay it back. If he can't pay back 5%, then extending credit to him at 7% is setting him up for failure.

    Texas has statutes on charges on unpaid items and late fees. There are several depending on the computation cycle and type of debt. A standard residential loan usually provides for a grace period around 10 to 15 days, which is a no penalty late charge. And the penalty is charged on the payment, like 5% of the payment is the fee. It does not compound monthly. I believe there is also a specific provision which calls for this to max out at 5%.

    As a Mortgagee, typical to most notes and security instruments, you have a right to protect your interests. That includes advancing on behalf of the borrower for items such as property taxes and insurance. In the event the Mortgagee makes the advance, the amount is due to be paid back from the borrower. No issues there. However, automatically taking that amount and adding it onto the loan balance is not normal and probably is not defined in your note. In it's simplest form, an amendment to the balance of a loan that does not benefit the borrower, requires the borrower's agreement. I have no idea what your point is with the link provided, that doesn't deal with Mortgages or Deeds of Trust thus it has zero bearing on this matter.

    At the end of the day, this could be one of those situations where you are believing you have correctly setup and are handling things but due to lack of knowledge in lending you are falling pretty short on some fronts. From the post, you seem like a nice guy who was trying to help out a friend and it sounds like the friend is thankful. When we help friends and things go as planned, everything is perfect. When they start to fall off the track, that is when issues start to get flushed out with documents and practices.

    More important to the topic is attempting to remedy the situation. And to be clear, the situation is, the borrower can't afford the home and you may have paperwork that if challenged, you may not be able enforce. I suppose the good news is you at least have an idea of some of the defects you could encounter and you don't have a judge in court voiding your loan altogether, so there is a chance to cure the defects.

    There are many Mortgage Servicers in the state of Texas. A couple of quick searches will produce you several. They are not all the same in terms of service and fees so you will want to shop and compare. I think as well, make sure you fully understand what their obligations are and your obligations are.

    For your own review here is the Texas statute Texas Finance Code



  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    That was good Dion! :)

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    A good Real Estate Attorney that has been mentioned on BP before is Wally Tingley

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    @Peter Lambert

    this is a great thread for learning and Dion has provided you with a lot of good advice and information.

    Just a note: When he says "predatory" he doesn't mean you are a predatory person, or that you intended this loan to be predatory. He means, I think, that if push came to shove in the TX court system, the courts and AG could consider the note predatory. So you need to address that the best way you can and correct as many defects as possible, and for that you need a very experienced real estate attorney well versed in private lending. Not the guy you used originally, obviously.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Thanks for all your input. I don't want to be too hasty regarding the legal advice I received setting the note up. I did a quick google search yesterday after Dion's first post freaked me out, and sure enough, the attorney I used was ranked #1 Real Estate Attorney for 2013, this is in a major city in Texas... That being said, I'm going to reserve any judgement on that front, until I hear back. I'm pretty sure I'm in good hands with someone who is experienced and competent, and if something was overlooked, we'll address it.

    I have contacted the attorney already with a list of questions including the following:

    1. I'm unclear how the SAFE Act applies to me and my loan, can you please review the note and clarify? Do I (or did I) need to be licensed? Is the loan in compliance with the SAFE Act? Is it Exempt? Do you find anything that would impede enforcement or the foreclosure process in the current regulatory environment?

    2. What is your advice regarding having a mortgage server service the note? Is there anything I have been doing servicing the note to date, that I have done incorrectly?

    3. I paid 2012 property taxes on behalf of the borrower in January 2013, my understanding is that the Lender has the authority to do so, is this correct? What is the interest rate I can charge on this that is not considered usurious in the state of Texas?

    Asked a few other questions, but those are the big ones. If anyone feels I have left anything out, I welcome your feedback.

    I also had a somewhat productive conversation with the borrower yesterday. It was direct and to the point, with emphasis focused on the idea of selling the home if things don't turn around for him financially relatively quickly. The relationship there is good... And as Jeff said in a previous reply, there is some equity, so I do have options. I told the borrower to brainstorm and let's both get creative about finding a way to work things out.

    I guess that's part of the intent of my original post. I was curious what other ideas the members of this forum have for dealing with a note like mine. I don't view this so black and white as, it's in default, foreclose and move on. With the equity in the home, there has to be some other options. Some very good information was brought to my attention, and I'm seeking clarification on the legal front..

    Thanks.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    The questions you asked are fine. I for one am looking forward to how this plays out. I've not done an Owner Occupied loan since SAFE (Loans only to LLCs, entities) and I know there are lots of people out there who feel like I do.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Talked to one of the real estate attorneys at the firm today, and got answers to my questions. He assured me that my loan is not subject to the SAFE Act, and is exempt under the Texas Finance Code 180.003 (6).

    http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/texas/tx-codes/texas_finance_code_180-003

    I also attached a spreadsheet with how I have been applying interest to past due amounts and expenses paid by Lender (me) on borrower's behalf (one year of property taxes). He said everything looks fine, and is more detailed than most reports from servicing companies.

    As far as 10% being the cap on interest in the state, as was mentioned above in the thread, that doesn't appear to be the case according to my attorney. I was told the maximum allowed is 18% annually, and yes you can run into some issues if you exceed this rate by compounding. That was actually the rate for "matured unpaid principal" in the draft of the note, but I requested it be reduced to 10% because I felt a little bad charging that much.

    I appreciate the feedback. As far as my initial questions, I'd love to hear any suggestions along the lines of Jeff's.

    "If the house across the street is really a comp, he might be able to partner with a rehabber who could drive more equity into the home and share the profit. Perhaps sell it to the rehabber for $250k or $275k, pay you off, and he splits the rehab profits. If you still have the stomach for it, you could participate in the deal as a private lender as well, or just walk. He could take back a note too, or simply maintain ownership. Lot's of options here but again, it's doubtful he'll lift a finger so you'll have to do some legwork, if he's receptive."

  • CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
    13y

    @Peter Lambert , I have a genuinely high respect for all the posters in this thread, and I completely understand the urge to post, but don't you sometimes feel much of the angst could be avoided by asking the attorney first? I mean this in the best possible way. If I were new to lending this whole thing would keep me up at night. I know, I know, you want to learn as much as possible before spending for the professional opinion ... it's a double edged sword. If that makes sense.

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    @Account Closed I think a lot of times if the OP had gone to the attorney they still might not have what they need. The problem is they don't know the questions that they need to ask.

    Case in point Peter was looking at "what ifs" of foreclosure and partnering ect not looking for legal advice necessarily yet. But then he was asked a lot of questions which he didn't know the answers to, so he verified and can now move forward.

    Also professionals are paid to do what they do, draft notices, file legal stuff, lend money, list properties on MLS ect. They often have no concept of thinking outside the box and providing options, if you provide options they'll weigh in on their thoughts to an individual set of circumstances but don't usually provide much insight into other ways to go about doing something.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Hi David, I agree with what you're saying, I too have a high level of respect for the individuals on the forum. The collective experience is why I posted in the first place. I don't hesitate at all spending the money for an attorney's professional opinion. I did that prior to entering into this agreement, and never really questioned the validity of it until I posted, and received a response that urged me to seek some clarification.

    The only thing I would point out, is that my original post wasn't seeking legal opinions or advice from the forum. It was asking for ideas of how to proceed with a borrower who is behind, but has a considerable amount of equity. Owes $95k on a house worth $250k-$275k in it's current condition, and has a past due of around $6k. How to proceed, at what past due balance is it time to start thinking about moving on, ideas other than foreclosure, etc...

    I didn't lose any sleep over it, but it did get me to study the Texas Finance code a little :)

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    This is a good thread and you have gotten a lot of thorough information.

    Have you sat down with your friend/neighbor and talked about your exit strategy? Maybe have a beer with him and explain that you're not Donald Trump and you made him a loan with your hard earned money and you need to get it back. I would explain to him that you have done everything that you agreed to do and he has not. He needs to understand that he can't afford this house and he should sell it now while he still has a lot of equity. If he tells you he has nowhere to go, explain to him that he needs to find a cheaper place to live, or maybe rent for a while until he gets his finances in order.

    Before you lawyer up and both of your legal bills start going up like a gas pump, I would have a serious conversation with him and see if you can talk some sense into him. He's probably in denial and needs a reality check.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    Peter, ave never met Dion in person but I have read a ton of his responses and I can tell you from experience you have been given great advice from him. And great is not a good enough word for it.

    Now, on to your repeated question, I would suggest you sit down with your friend/borrower in person and discuss the situation. I would explain tha the last thing you want to do is initiate foreclosure proceedings. He likely is not as astute on the lending laws there as Dion is, therefore I would propose the following: decipher what the real reason is for not keeping up with payments, it is likely an income and expense issue on the wrong ratio side. Therefore, as a "friend" offer the solution to get out from under this situation by avoiding foreclosure and selling the property. Offer an agreement that so long as you receive your principle, interest, taxes paid, and all other costs, including future interest until it is sold, you agree to forego foreclosure and have a RE agent place the property for sale. Give a deadline! With the equity position, you are made whole and friend has walking money to buy again AND emphasize that none of this will negatively impact his credit!

  • CA · Member since 2011 · 762 posts · 182 votes
    13y

    Matt: I totally agree. I occasionally have email exchanges with my attorney and am constantly amazed at how little information I actually get, I'm always left wondering about the bigger picture.

    Peter: Perhaps I should have read the OP closer, good points. One (or two) additional thoughts ... if/when the time is right, just because you start foreclosure doesn't mean you have to finish it. I started foreclosure (filed NOD) here recently on a guy and have no intention of completing it, it was simply a wake up call, i'll let it sit for years if I have to, watching property values going up and up and up. I did get a voice mail form some bk attorney he hired, i called back and left a voice mail but she never returned my call ... so he is waking up. My take on your situation is that you have such a good rapport with the borrower that you will work something out, I would work that angle hard. This is like a chess game, there is no correct answer. I'm not sure I would pay the guys taxes, maybe just let them pile up, the state will eventually start foreclosure and you can use that as an excuse to start your foreclosure (make sure your timeline is shorter than their's however)... if you pay all his bills he will become too comfortable. Even if there is a flaw in the note it most likely will amount to nothing, you will get paid off sooner or later and any issues will evaporate.

    Also, even if you accumulate boucought bucks in interest, late fees, etc, etc ... in the end, simply negotiate a payoff that makes him happy... as long as you get your principal (and hopefully a little interest) back.

    Having said all that I defer to Dion, Ann and Jeff. I see there are a couple more posts since I started this, I'm a slow typer, I'll have to read those.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y
    I'm not sure I would pay the guys taxes, maybe just let them pile up, the state will eventually start foreclosure and you can use that as an excuse to start your foreclosure (make sure your timeline is shorter than their's however)... if you pay all his bills he will become too comfortable.


    Good point, and something I have thought about as a strategic option. In a previous post, I linked the county's late penalties (here it is again).

    http://www.traviscountytax.org/pdfs/2011PandIChart.pdf

    I have the right to pay these on his behalf per the deed of trust but certainly am not obligated to. It's in borrower's best interest for me to pay these, as I will charge less than the county. It's in my best interest to not have a superior lien, and there is also the opportunity to earn a reasonable and fair return on the amount paid by lender. I discussed this with the borrower, and he is familiar with the county's late penalties as he has had to pay delinquent taxes multiple times over the past decade, and is OK with me paying them for him and charging him interest. I

    And as Robb mentioned, he is a little in denial and needs a reality check. Not paying his taxes, and having the county send him delinquency notices might help him wake up, and keep him from getting too comfortable, knowing he can just rely on the lender(me) to pay them. His previous lender paid two years of taxes before starting the foreclosure process.

    Also, as Robb, mentioned, we have had several of the "sit down and have a beer talks". Talked on Sunday, previous one was probably back in March. The rapport is good, and he is actually easy to approach and talk to considering the nature of the conversation. He is self-employed, and basically is a dinosaur in an industry that just doesn't have great long-term prospects in my opinion. On multiple occasions I have mentioned getting a part-time job. He told me in the past, and this weekend, that the time is better spent just working harder on his business and "busting his ***".

    I tried to frame the conversation in the sense of, "hey, I'm going out of my way to help you out, I really need to see you make some effort on your own, rather than just the status quo." Told him everyone has a number, your previous lender did, and asked him what he thought a reasonable overdue balance is before he would get a second job, or consider selling the house. That got his attention as I think he was trying to figure out my number, but I tossed it back to him, and said "what do you think is reasonable, before we have to realize what your doing isn't working?"

    Regarding selling the home, he told me he thinks it would make him feel like a failure. I stressed how strong the market is right now, and that selling on his terms, and pocketing $150k isn't a failure, selling under distress is. It's clearly the best option for all parties, and him financially. The challenge is getting him to realize this.

    He did mention, that if he did sell, he'd give me the first opportunity to buy it, which I thought was interesting. His house would make a great rehab... Lot is great and structurally sound. No mechanical, plumbing, electrical issues.. Just dated, and basic cosmetic work would increase the value considerably. The house across the street that went for $399k (in 5 days), had just gone through a pretty extensive remodel... At first I thought they were going a little overboard, but it sold for a great price pretty quickly... It might help convince him to sell if he could participate in the upside of a rehab somehow..

    Supply and demand is just really out of whack right now in Austin. Inventory is ridiculously low, and even rentals are tough to find, an issue he brought up. He's lived in the neighborhood for 30 years, doesn't really want to move. What's crazy is, when we refinanced his loan in 2012, the balance was more than his previous loan's initial balance from the late 90s... Talking to him, you can see him try to rationalize choices that he's made over the years. I think this last conversation was a good one though, and got his attention. I'm just trying to balance cracking down a little harder and still maintaing the relationship.

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Wow, Peter. After reading all of this, its no wonder this guy isn’t paying. His previous lender paid his taxes and now you are? I completely understand protecting your interests, but Peter, he’s playing you. This is not a "normal" distressed borrower/lender relationship. I’m really sorry, but after reading this it’s not clear he’s the only one in denial.

    He owes you roughly $100k, doesn’t pay his bills, didn’t previously, and it appears to me you’ve become his beer drinking buddy. What are you getting out of this (and I don’t mean financially)? I‘m serious.

    You’re posting on websites, asking the right questions, speaking to lawyers, and speaking to your borrower. Don’t mistake this for action. Sorry to be harsh, but assuming you want to be repaid (which is really not clear to me), at what point will you take the action necessary to get your money back?

    I’m not at all suggesting you set this guy off, but by "maintaining the relationship" he doesn’t see you as serious. Honestly, neither do I.

    Consider this your digital kick in the butt.

    Jeff

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Hi Jeff, fair criticism. I really have no problems moving forward with foreclosing immediately. Is that the best opportunity for me with this particular property? I don't know. I doubt it. I'd get my principal back and a little interest.

    I've seen a number of posts on this forum discussing finding unlisted deals through one's network, knowing your area, ear to the ground, yada yada yada... Finding deals through relationships built, properties and opportunities that never hit the market and aren't advertised, etc...

    I think there are at least two alternatives, albeit with a slightly longer time horizon, that could yield significantly higher returns. If you don't it see it that way, that's fine.

    Previous lender was lender was Ocwen, and yes they paid property taxes for two years. I studied the closing statement. There was a lot of interest and fees that went to Ocwen. That's what I "get". Less now, more later.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.