Unfortunately I've been away for a few months while taking care of some personal matters, so I haven't been able to keep up on discussions.
However, several months ago there were ample amount of folks here insisting that a market crash/ correction was impossible and that prices would only continue to increase.
Curious if there are still people out there who feel this way? If so, I'd love to see some data that supports your view that the market isn't going to crash/ correct.
The market may correct, but I firmly believe there won't be a crash. The reason is simple, equity.
Before 2008 people with no income could get liars loans and buy much more real estate than they could afford. We heard stories of cleaning ladies buying multiple million dollar homes. When home prices starting falling, the whole thing collapses like a house of cards because nobody had any equity. They couldn't sell and get out. We had cascading foreclosures creating a downward spiral.
Recently, prices have been surging. Given the laws passed after the Great Recession, appraisals and lending is highly restricted. Appraisals have not been keeping up with prices and lenders won't lend above appraised value. We sold a house in 2021 and in one day had 20 offers. Several of them had acceleration clauses stating they would pay more than anyone else up to $X. Both of them waived any financing contingency because they KNEW the house wouldn't appraise for what they were offering. They had to make up the difference with cash. Those people have a ton of equity in their homes. If they had to sell, they might take a haircut, but they aren't going to get foreclosed.
There is no house of cards here to come tumbling down.
@John Carbone from the sounds of things you are a long term investor that is working to replacing his income with CF. My w2 also funds pretty quick purchases for properties.
Your such a feckless Troll! Spending the day spewing lies, distortions, rants and baseless attacks.
yes, as the founder of a tech start-up, without doubt 0 innovation. Founder of more then a dozen companies, absolutely, imitator without doubt. Yes, one Absolutely achieves "Top Producer" via idiocy.
What have you achieved? Of course you must be "the" innovator supreme, please, bestow upon us your accolades of achievement kind sir. With out doubt they are so numerous that it would be a grand list of so many. Please, delight us all with accounts of your conquests.......
The problem with equity is you can’t force overall markets to go higher. You can somewhat control cash flow. For example, someone with a 350k investment that nets them 75k a year. After 10 years even if real estate is flat at 350k, they still have earned 750k over the 10 year period. Equity is just gravy, but should not be factored in when purchasing properties, especially at these prices.
Well technically the renter is paying down your principal which means you shouldn't' be flat - ever really.
And realistically most houses/properties always appreciate over a 10-15 year margin. But I do think it's tough to chase equity (i.e. hard to truly predict the big growth otherwise would have had a lot more boomers who held on to shore houses in the northeast) but it's probably fair to say it should be factored in.
Talk to a home flipper, all we do is not only build equity, but build it at net positive rates of return. We have to build equity to cover our costs of building that equity AND additional equity to cover all transactional, operational and profits.
Or, how about any syndicator out there doing value-add deals? That is also creating equity.
Or, or, or.... Equity creating is a component of many strategies, many. It is not only possible but common. Not easy, and results will vary wildly, not all have equal talent for certain results.
@Joe Villeneuve is spot-on in sharing the relationship of CF and equitable returns, and that equity is what makes wealth.
Any asking how to start, how to best get from start too financial freedom, how to build a portfolio, the #1 importance to learn is this fundamental and how Pyramiding works.
Obviously adding value to a property can increase the “value”, but speaking from a turn key pov, once you max out the usefulness of the property you are letting interest rates dictate the value. I don’t calculate my property value based off of what an appraiser will give it, I base it off of what my asset returns to me. This is a wildly different number than what a bank will say it is worth. CASH FLOW allows me to not care about interest rates and the negative impact on the “home equity”.
I agree that the time to recover the cost is the most important component to the formula. I don’t follow on selling though. Maybe the way I look at it is a little different than you. So I’m into a rehabbed property for 350k (200k cash down) and it returns me a net profit of 70k a year. Break even is sub 3 years, and 5 years free and clear, with an annual dividend thereafter of 70k once paid off. If I get an appraisal at 400k why would I sell when I’m getting 70k a year. This is a 20 percent return on a 350k investment. The “equity” component is meaningless to me since most of my formula comes from cash flow, not equity. Maybe the smart thing is to cash out refi up to 80 percent at that point, if there is a need/to create interest expense for tax deductions, but I don’t understand why I would sell. My whole philosophy is to buy and never sell. What am I missing?
Also FWIW @Joe Villeneuve this PV logic is not correct. If you buy a $200K house w/ 40K down, you are not buying 5x your PV as some magical move.
PV (present value) is the sum of the cash flows into the future discounted by a discount rate. PV is different for something unlevered (a house with no mortgage) vs something levered (a house with a mortgage). That is because the stream of cash flow for a house with no mortgage is different (higher) than the stream of cash flow for a house with a mortgage.
So while I agree it's fair to say a $200K investment property has a PV of $200K (without leverage), that is not true once you add leverage to the investment property. "Mathematically" the present value of an 80% LTV $200K investment property would be exactly equal to $40K. So when you buy a property with 20% down, you are buying 1x the present value.
Same concept as enterprise value vs. market cap with companies. Enterprise value = market cap (equity) + net debt. Enterprise value = present value of all cash flows without leverage. Market cap = net present value of all cash flows with leverage. This is basic finance and I am more than happy to dive into it with anyone who wants to learn.
Yeah I don't think everything I said is all that important to be a great real estate investor. Depending on strategy, I'd take someone that takes action / finds great deals / is great at value add / etc over someone who understands what I typed.
Just want to make sure that since it looks like people are taking Joe V's "math" as fact, that it gets fact checked as is in not correct math and I think it's not great to spread that esp. if people are listening. Not trying to offend anyone / Joe V, very much just want people to have a grasp of what's true here.
So I'm with you on the ultra billionaires and I know guys like that - there is a reason why they wake up at 4:30 am very commonly. I'm not so sure I see the long term perspective on RE for folks like us. Part of reason I'm investing in it now is to give up my job by mid 50's. I'll have a growing business on the side and my kids will still be in their teens. Which means more time. My day job allows flexibility BUT i still have to work a lot
But that's not the key. The key is your work in any level of capacity that you can do, and you have a good work-life balance WHILE the company can give you one or two houses in Midwest for free every year, so the capital is coming from the company while you do NOTHING more. Not from another real estate.
Agreed. hence my comment. Real estate takes time but if you are using property management, if you have a realtor even if you understand the valuations, your cash flow might not be as high but your time invested is minimal. Frankly, I have a folder that holds 90% of what I need for each purchase. My lender is so used to it now she saves as much as she can (can only hold so much and for so long) but she is used to me just lump sending a bunch of the paperwork for underwriting and they figure it out. It's a bit more work for them but given they have now had 3 mortgages from me in a year, and two more from friends alone. Well they are happy.
But yes the reason why I pointed it out is greg seems to look at it like work. And it can be. I'm looking at it for hte day I can stop working.
A tip on the Realtor fee side of things.
For a person who is savy like yourself, and well organized, you can ask for Facilitator agency vs exclusive agency, and for applicable fee structure for such. Not uncommon for agency fee to drop too 1-2% in such scenario.
On buy side, doesn't really matter if getting seller to cover right BUT, for the more sizable deals and yes, commercial this works the same, that is an option in many if not most places of facilitator vs exclusive "full" agency.
thanks. I grew up around it and family business was one of the largest title insurance companies. It's something I may look at if I get into selling but frankly I don't see myself selling to many properties. Depending on long term strategy I may just turn over an effective business to the kids. I don't see as much value in selling the properties - UNLESS they dont' want to manage it but frankly by the time I'm ready to hand it over they just need to understand the basics I could teach them. And it will have enough to both GROW and pay a manager for if they want in the cash flow.
@John Carbone from the sounds of things you are a long term investor that is working to replacing his income with CF. My w2 also funds pretty quick purchases for properties.
Your such a feckless Troll! Spending the day spewing lies, distortions, rants and baseless attacks.
yes, as the founder of a tech start-up, without doubt 0 innovation. Founder of more then a dozen companies, absolutely, imitator without doubt. Yes, one Absolutely achieves "Top Producer" via idiocy.
What have you achieved? Of course you must be "the" innovator supreme, please, bestow upon us your accolades of achievement kind sir. With out doubt they are so numerous that it would be a grand list of so many. Please, delight us all with accounts of your conquests.......
Funny I got busy with conference calls but I literally almost said the same thing. Those two seem to be on opposite end of the spectrum, and both making good points. I think you and I mostly fall somewhere in the middle. but I think outside of the fact that they both seem to dislike each other. There's been some good discussion ignoring the taunts on both sides.
Funny I got busy with conference calls but I literally almost said the same thing. Those two seem to be on opposite end of the spectrum, and both making good points. I think you and I mostly fall somewhere in the middle. but I think outside of the fact that they both seem to dislike each other. There's been some good discussion ignoring the taunts on both sides.
Both of their argument is accurate to their own market. So let's see the impact of six percent mortgage rate :
median household income San Jose: $120k
median household income Twin Cities: $50k
average Zillow home price Twin cities: $300k
average Zillow home price San Jose: $1,400k
Average mortgage payment with 20% down and 6% interest rate.
San Jose: $6700/mo
Twin Cities: $1,430/mo
San Jose's mortgage to gross monthly income : 0.67 ratio
Twin Cities mortgage to gross monthly income : 0.34 ratio
So cost of living in high cap rate like SJC is twice than Twin Cities.
So how do people in San Jose survive and afford mortgages?
Simple, by having both husband and wife working, each making $120k, so the household income of $250k is the new middle class.
(btw $120k is like intern salary in tech co. these days).
....And this is where I seriously Think FED is incorrect in their inflation calculation. They should make individual adjustments to their CPI calculation specifically to OER targetting specific city. Simply aggregating UShome ownership is not accurate. As not too many people buy the home anyway and cities like those inside CA has different affordability ratio. I think they have an archaic system and inaccurate methodology. The OER component is actually the one that drives CPI as it's the highest weighting factor.
Funny I got busy with conference calls but I literally almost said the same thing. Those two seem to be on opposite end of the spectrum, and both making good points. I think you and I mostly fall somewhere in the middle. but I think outside of the fact that they both seem to dislike each other. There's been some good discussion ignoring the taunts on both sides.
Both of their argument is accurate to their own market. So let's see the impact of six percent mortgage rate :
median household income San Jose: $120k
median household income Twin Cities: $50k
average Zillow home price Twin cities: $300k
average Zillow home price San Jose: $1,400k
Average mortgage payment with 20% down and 6% interest rate.
San Jose: $6700/mo
Twin Cities: $1,430/mo
San Jose's mortgage to gross monthly income : 0.67 ratio
Twin Cities mortgage to gross monthly income : 0.34 ratio
So cost of living in high cap rate like SJC is twice than Twin Cities.
So how do people in San Jose survive and afford mortgages?
Simple, by having both husband and wife working, each making $120k, so the household income of $250k is the new middle class.
(btw $120k is like intern salary in tech co. these days).
....And this is where I seriously Think FED is incorrect in their inflation calculation. They should make individual adjustments to their CPI calculation specifically to OER targetting specific city. Simply aggregating UShome ownership is not accurate. As not too many people buy the home anyway and cities like those inside CA has different affordability ratio. I think they have an archaic system and inaccurate methodology. The OER component is actually the one that drives CPI as it's the highest weighting factor.
And the big thing is the income. People talk about housing affordability against median income. But if the median income in Cali is $300k (which is probably close for two incomes if not low) even if they spend a lot on the mortgage their disposable is large, even when compared to the midwest markets.
Funny I got busy with conference calls but I literally almost said the same thing. Those two seem to be on opposite end of the spectrum, and both making good points. I think you and I mostly fall somewhere in the middle. but I think outside of the fact that they both seem to dislike each other. There's been some good discussion ignoring the taunts on both sides.
Both of their argument is accurate to their own market. So let's see the impact of six percent mortgage rate :
median household income San Jose: $120k
median household income Twin Cities: $50k
average Zillow home price Twin cities: $300k
average Zillow home price San Jose: $1,400k
Average mortgage payment with 20% down and 6% interest rate.
San Jose: $6700/mo
Twin Cities: $1,430/mo
San Jose's mortgage to gross monthly income : 0.67 ratio
Twin Cities mortgage to gross monthly income : 0.34 ratio
So cost of living in high cap rate like SJC is twice than Twin Cities.
So how do people in San Jose survive and afford mortgages?
Simple, by having both husband and wife working, each making $120k, so the household income of $250k is the new middle class.
(btw $120k is like intern salary in tech co. these days).
....And this is where I seriously Think FED is incorrect in their inflation calculation. They should make individual adjustments to their CPI calculation specifically to OER targetting specific city. Simply aggregating UShome ownership is not accurate. As not too many people buy the home anyway and cities like those inside CA has different affordability ratio. I think they have an archaic system and inaccurate methodology. The OER component is actually the one that drives CPI as it's the highest weighting factor.
My whole argument has been nationwide drops of 20 percent minimum. I even said in the beginning individual markets will out perform (due to the reasons you mention). Jim has been defending the nationwide market by giving minessota data. I won’t argue with the math in some markets.
The problem with equity is you can’t force overall markets to go higher. You can somewhat control cash flow. For example, someone with a 350k investment that nets them 75k a year. After 10 years even if real estate is flat at 350k, they still have earned 750k over the 10 year period. Equity is just gravy, but should not be factored in when purchasing properties, especially at these prices.
Well technically the renter is paying down your principal which means you shouldn't' be flat - ever really.
And realistically most houses/properties always appreciate over a 10-15 year margin. But I do think it's tough to chase equity (i.e. hard to truly predict the big growth otherwise would have had a lot more boomers who held on to shore houses in the northeast) but it's probably fair to say it should be factored in.
Talk to a home flipper, all we do is not only build equity, but build it at net positive rates of return. We have to build equity to cover our costs of building that equity AND additional equity to cover all transactional, operational and profits.
Or, how about any syndicator out there doing value-add deals? That is also creating equity.
Or, or, or.... Equity creating is a component of many strategies, many. It is not only possible but common. Not easy, and results will vary wildly, not all have equal talent for certain results.
@Joe Villeneuve is spot-on in sharing the relationship of CF and equitable returns, and that equity is what makes wealth.
Any asking how to start, how to best get from start too financial freedom, how to build a portfolio, the #1 importance to learn is this fundamental and how Pyramiding works.
Obviously adding value to a property can increase the “value”, but speaking from a turn key pov, once you max out the usefulness of the property you are letting interest rates dictate the value. I don’t calculate my property value based off of what an appraiser will give it, I base it off of what my asset returns to me. This is a wildly different number than what a bank will say it is worth. CASH FLOW allows me to not care about interest rates and the negative impact on the “home equity”.
I agree that the time to recover the cost is the most important component to the formula. I don’t follow on selling though. Maybe the way I look at it is a little different than you. So I’m into a rehabbed property for 350k (200k cash down) and it returns me a net profit of 70k a year. Break even is sub 3 years, and 5 years free and clear, with an annual dividend thereafter of 70k once paid off. If I get an appraisal at 400k why would I sell when I’m getting 70k a year. This is a 20 percent return on a 350k investment. The “equity” component is meaningless to me since most of my formula comes from cash flow, not equity. Maybe the smart thing is to cash out refi up to 80 percent at that point, if there is a need/to create interest expense for tax deductions, but I don’t understand why I would sell. My whole philosophy is to buy and never sell. What am I missing?
Also FWIW @Joe Villeneuve this PV logic is not correct. If you buy a $200K house w/ 40K down, you are not buying 5x your PV as some magical move.
PV (present value) is the sum of the cash flows into the future discounted by a discount rate. PV is different for something unlevered (a house with no mortgage) vs something levered (a house with a mortgage). That is because the stream of cash flow for a house with no mortgage is different (higher) than the stream of cash flow for a house with a mortgage.
So while I agree it's fair to say a $200K investment property has a PV of $200K (without leverage), that is not true once you add leverage to the investment property. "Mathematically" the present value of an 80% LTV $200K investment property would be exactly equal to $40K. So when you buy a property with 20% down, you are buying 1x the present value.
Same concept as enterprise value vs. market cap with companies. Enterprise value = market cap (equity) + net debt. Enterprise value = present value of all cash flows without leverage. Market cap = net present value of all cash flows with leverage. This is basic finance and I am more than happy to dive into it with anyone who wants to learn.
And the big thing is the income. People talk about housing affordability against median income. But if the median income in Cali is $300k (which is probably close for two incomes if not low) even if they spend a lot on the mortgage their disposable is large, even when compared to the midwest markets.
So what the Fed doing right now is like --for a problem that's west coast guy did, the Fed punishes the entire world -- hahaha LOL
Sometimes to avoid WW3 one just need to fix the error in the excel table formula....
My whole argument has been nationwide drops of 20 percent minimum. I even said in the beginning individual markets will out perform (due to the reasons you mention). Jim has been defending the nationwide market by giving minessota data. I won’t argue with the math in some markets.
You will see when oil drops below 80 bucks and home dropped near 20% suddenly inflation is 4 percent LOL
No dude, you got me wrong haha LOL we can still have Musk/Bezos printed money for us while having 90% life and 10% work (from Hawaii).
Almost everyone is doing that now.
That zero work life balance is BS--that's only true for working class, Mark ZUkerbegh is actually surfing in Kauai beach righ now hahaha LOL
If you think these guys hang out all day while others make money for them, you're deceived. These guys work night and day, they only come up for air every once and a while. Zuck probably had to book time on his calendar a month in advance to take a few hours for surfing. These guys (and many others) will wake up one day and wonder where life went. It passed them by.
I get your post though :)
So I'm with you on the ultra billionaires and I know guys like that - there is a reason why they wake up at 4:30 am very commonly. I'm not so sure I see the long term perspective on RE for folks like us. Part of reason I'm investing in it now is to give up my job by mid 50's. I'll have a growing business on the side and my kids will still be in their teens. Which means more time. My day job allows flexibility BUT i still have to work a lot at times. So I have a nice world but the whoel point of the investing is to have that freedom one day. Besides which the RE side will let me have more and leave a lot more to my kids who will have so much more flexibility than I had (and I had more than my dad to an extent or it looks like I will).
No need to be a billionaire. $1-3 million in cash flow a year creates a lot of independence and time for family or passions.
No dude, you got me wrong haha LOL we can still have Musk/Bezos printed money for us while having 90% life and 10% work (from Hawaii).
Almost everyone is doing that now.
That zero work life balance is BS--that's only true for working class, Mark ZUkerbegh is actually surfing in Kauai beach righ now hahaha LOL
If you think these guys hang out all day while others make money for them, you're deceived. These guys work night and day, they only come up for air every once and a while. Zuck probably had to book time on his calendar a month in advance to take a few hours for surfing. These guys (and many others) will wake up one day and wonder where life went. It passed them by.
I get your post though :)
So I'm with you on the ultra billionaires and I know guys like that - there is a reason why they wake up at 4:30 am very commonly. I'm not so sure I see the long term perspective on RE for folks like us. Part of reason I'm investing in it now is to give up my job by mid 50's. I'll have a growing business on the side and my kids will still be in their teens. Which means more time. My day job allows flexibility BUT i still have to work a lot at times. So I have a nice world but the whoel point of the investing is to have that freedom one day. Besides which the RE side will let me have more and leave a lot more to my kids who will have so much more flexibility than I had (and I had more than my dad to an extent or it looks like I will).
No need to be a billionaire. $1-3 million in cash flow a year creates a lot of independence and time for family or passions.
I'm well aware of it. My oldest would be 15 at 55. I've got a fair shot at retiring at 51. Me trying to retire at 43 is unrealistic. But I work from home, have pretty damn good flexibility in my schedule for example I can skip work and go skiing with kids during the week etc...
The point isn't to be there full time as an adult but to be able to do all kinds of things throughout their lives. And have their own schedules or not I'm pretty sure the kids will be up for playing hooky on school for a 5 days ski trip to Aspen etc.. Thats the flexibility I'm talking about in their teens.
Besides who wants to work to 65?
And the big thing is the income. People talk about housing affordability against median income. But if the median income in Cali is $300k (which is probably close for two incomes if not low) even if they spend a lot on the mortgage their disposable is large, even when compared to the midwest markets.
So what the Fed doing right now is like --for a problem that's west coast guy did, the Fed punishes the entire world -- hahaha LOL
Sometimes to avoid WW3 one just need to fix the error in the excel table formula....
Also FWIW @Joe Villeneuve this PV logic is not correct. If you buy a $200K house w/ 40K down, you are not buying 5x your PV as some magical move.
PV (present value) is the sum of the cash flows into the future discounted by a discount rate. PV is different for something unlevered (a house with no mortgage) vs something levered (a house with a mortgage). That is because the stream of cash flow for a house with no mortgage is different (higher) than the stream of cash flow for a house with a mortgage.
So while I agree it's fair to say a $200K investment property has a PV of $200K (without leverage), that is not true once you add leverage to the investment property. "Mathematically" the present value of an 80% LTV $200K investment property would be exactly equal to $40K. So when you buy a property with 20% down, you are buying 1x the present value.
Same concept as enterprise value vs. market cap with companies. Enterprise value = market cap (equity) + net debt. Enterprise value = present value of all cash flows without leverage. Market cap = net present value of all cash flows with leverage. This is basic finance and I am more than happy to dive into it with anyone who wants to learn.
Florida and Tennessee have gotten a huge amount of transplants though. I know Nashville and some of that has had some big growth even pre-covid so it’s adjusting (have to go look to how much it is but you aren’t far so maybe you know?) but FL is holding strong. it’s a lot of Northeast money moving down there and at $410k for median home price, in July. Despite the fact they are up al ot I’m not so sure FL is going to correct anything close to CA. Plus the overall impact of interest is just flat out less there.
That number is quite right, although the ranges are from $2.8 to $5k realistically for 2/3BR. SF rent is actually cheaper and depending on location could have a bargain as it's owned by a pop and mom investor (prior owner). Class A MF is the most expensive with $4.5k for 2BR.
Yes about housing it is sucks but really depends on where one is coming from. A guy coming from London, India or Seoul still thinks it's affordable, obviously from a Midwest perspective it's very expensive, but the cost of living in the Midwest is actually cheaper than some third-world country cities, to begin with.
@John Carbone @Carlos Ptriawan @Joe Villeneuve @James Hamling @Michael Wooldridge @Bruce Woodruff
Here's some fresh data as of October...
With current rates, buyers have 29% LESS purchasing power.

You can't tell me that rates aren't having a catastrophic impact on the market and housing prices.



@John Carbone @Carlos Ptriawan @Joe Villeneuve @James Hamling @Michael Wooldridge @Bruce Woodruff
Here's some fresh data as of October...
With current rates, buyers have 29% LESS purchasing power.

You can't tell me that rates aren't having a catastrophic impact on the market and housing prices.



People have paused. The fed has made public statements for a very long time that they expect to reduce rates by 2024 (we could even see it in 2023). I believe the rate changes is going to force stagnation. Catastrophic? Cali/west yes. The rest of US not so much.
Also first time home buyers were up. I imagine we will see them continue to purchase because at the dollar value they buy in at - it’s a lot better than renting. Well if not in cali.
Anyway. I expect full stagnation. catastrophic? Nope. I’ve been saying for a bit overall sales will stagnate. I just don’t think prices will drop catastrophically. Also we need a chart showing how much median decline we need to see to equal about same buying power, to say January-March 2022, with current rates. I assume cali it’s about 20%. Rest of the country less.
All these food and transportation inflations are actually happening because of one factor only: During covid, the shipping freight charge is raising 400% because (sometimes) the port closes or no workers.
It's all a logistical issue.