Unfortunately I've been away for a few months while taking care of some personal matters, so I haven't been able to keep up on discussions.
However, several months ago there were ample amount of folks here insisting that a market crash/ correction was impossible and that prices would only continue to increase.
Curious if there are still people out there who feel this way? If so, I'd love to see some data that supports your view that the market isn't going to crash/ correct.
The market may correct, but I firmly believe there won't be a crash. The reason is simple, equity.
Before 2008 people with no income could get liars loans and buy much more real estate than they could afford. We heard stories of cleaning ladies buying multiple million dollar homes. When home prices starting falling, the whole thing collapses like a house of cards because nobody had any equity. They couldn't sell and get out. We had cascading foreclosures creating a downward spiral.
Recently, prices have been surging. Given the laws passed after the Great Recession, appraisals and lending is highly restricted. Appraisals have not been keeping up with prices and lenders won't lend above appraised value. We sold a house in 2021 and in one day had 20 offers. Several of them had acceleration clauses stating they would pay more than anyone else up to $X. Both of them waived any financing contingency because they KNEW the house wouldn't appraise for what they were offering. They had to make up the difference with cash. Those people have a ton of equity in their homes. If they had to sell, they might take a haircut, but they aren't going to get foreclosed.
There is no house of cards here to come tumbling down.
Yup. All the talk about "how strong the employment market is" was all just smoke and mirrors published by the politicians. Look at how many companies are down 40%, 50% ++ YTD. What do you think they are going to do? Cut payroll. Payroll shows very clearly on a P&L.
Let's see what Meta does this week. They are expecting to announce "large-scale" layoffs to their employees. They currently employ over 80k employees.
Twitter just cut half of it's workforce.
If the R's take over the house and senate, there's a chance we'll see an end to all of these reckless spending bills that have been kicking the can down the road.
Yup. All the talk about "how strong the employment market is" was all just smoke and mirrors published by the politicians. Look at how many companies are down 40%, 50% ++ YTD. What do you think they are going to do? Cut payroll. Payroll shows very clearly on a P&L.
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
I still don't think I understand the big deal around phantom equity. I probably had some myself. I bought a new primary in 2019. Refinanced into a low, fixed rate. So if my primary jumped up from what I paid for it in 2019 to something silly in 2021 or 2022 and is now back down... so what? I didn't tap it, don't need it, and am not a seller.
Is this just a sign of the reduction in prices? Or a cause for concern? Or both? Won't the biggest 'losses' be in primary residences that are above or significantly above the national median? Will it hurt investors?
It's just pointing out the facts. Over the summer it was assumed everyone had the equity they thought they had, but once rates increased sharply, it instantly vanished. We are now slowly seeing that realized in the market with declining home values. HELOC's have been a big contributor to inflation, so having values drop and rates rise virtually nobody will be doing them anymore which is good for the fed. The biggest concern is for peak buyers who panic from the drops or are forced to sell. There is a lot of psychology of someone paying 500K for a house last summer and being told by banks it's worth 350-400k for an average primary owner. Logically they are better off staying put, but to those people You can see some irrational decisions up to and including handing back the keys. I just read recently up to 70 percent of homebuyers regretted their purchase during Covid already…. We won't see the end of this until likely next year, but I do know values won't be higher a year from now.
So I’ll just say 30% on essentially median ($500k is only slightly above median) would mean essentially 40% drop if you factor in inflation. You don’t think that’s a bit out there in left field? Almost 50% drop on the most stable asset in history?
dude october data is out.
active inventory: -5% YOY
active new listing: -25% YOY
There're more buyer than seller, most likely price is either flat or slow growth, Mr. market has been tested with 7% rate, surprisingly it's doing well.
That's a single data point. I haven't seen the data yet post on Redfin or other sites that provide analytics.
You're starting to sound like a day trader who claims the market is making monumental moves based on real-time shifts that you're watching.
As I've been saying, this isn't going to happen over night. This market is going to take a while to show the impacts of rates in the 7s.
So I agree. However the initial data point is showing less people selling. Which is the first behavior you would expect. As far as time, how much time? By Junish I expect the fed to start announcing changes to rates and once it’s directionally happening good luck pushing down prices.
I don’t think you have a very big window if you all want/expect 25-30% drops down, which I’m going to keep calling out is really more like 35-40%…..
So your prediction is built on the cornerstone of the fed making certain moves in 8 months. These guys don't know what the market is going to do or look like in a a few weeks. But we're supposed to believe that we can predict, with precision, what they're going to do in almost a year.
No my prediction is based off of data. It has been all along. With an election coming it would be nuts to think they won’t trend back down if inflation is under control. Given the direction of that….
Do I expect rates to be lower this time next year than they are now? yep. Why wouldn’t they be?
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
Like I said I’d love to see this “national”. I think you are little too focused on Dallas and Austin.
Anyway here is the median national info:
The link if you want to dig in yourself: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/se...
Not seeing a national decline…..
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
Why are you so tirelessly announcing there is the national home sale price.
The worst market was our market, it's exactly dropped 13%, but since then it rebound to 6%. It's very mild.
Do you understand what's the definition of hyperinflation ? hyperinflation only happened if inflation is reaching 50% and above.
We don't have hyperinflation. When the Fed destroy money like 50% of the new money that they printed in 2020, the inflation would be down
after a while as money is gone from circulation.
It's a basic economic class if you ever attend one. They will maintain this state for 1-2 year.
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
Like I said I’d love to see this “national”. I think you are little too focused on Dallas and Austin.
Anyway here is the median national info:
The link if you want to dig in yourself: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/se...
Not seeing a national decline…..

People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
Like I said I’d love to see this “national”. I think you are little too focused on Dallas and Austin.
Anyway here is the median national info:
The link if you want to dig in yourself: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/se...
Not seeing a national decline…..

Lots of sources out there. I’d say it’s likely in between but Redfin is not perfect no. The Fed is probably more accurate for historical data.
All that aside even Redfin is 9%. So where is the 18%?
Yes.Try to use Zillow and you will see the reduction nationally is only 1K. There's a technical reason why there's difference between Redfin and Zillow.
Honestly, you have to examine the drop in max 8 markets only, as the impact is quite regional. Try to analyze Austin.
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
Like I said I’d love to see this “national”. I think you are little too focused on Dallas and Austin.
Anyway here is the median national info:
The link if you want to dig in yourself: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/se...
Not seeing a national decline…..

Lots of sourced out there. I’d say it’s likely in between but Redfin is not perfect no. The Fed is probably more accurate for historical data.
All that aside even Redfin is 9%. So where is the 18%?
Peak of bubble was May. Since May we have June, July, August, and Sep (4 months of reported data). May was median sold price of $430,310. September is $403,556. So from June-Sep (a 4 month period) prices dropped 6.2xxx%. Annualize that (12 months), and you get your 18%+.
Yes.Try to use Zillow and you will see the reduction nationally is only 1K. There's a technical reason why there's difference between Redfin and Zillow.
Honestly, you have to examine the drop in max 8 markets only, as the impact is quite regional. Try to analyze Austin.
I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of Redfin data. Tell me, what does Zillow show as the median sold price in May, and then in Sep?
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
Like I said I’d love to see this “national”. I think you are little too focused on Dallas and Austin.
Anyway here is the median national info:
The link if you want to dig in yourself: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/se...
Not seeing a national decline…..

Lots of sources out there. I’d say it’s likely in between but Redfin is not perfect no. The Fed is probably more accurate for historical data.
All that aside even Redfin is 9%. So where is the 18%?
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
Like I said I’d love to see this “national”. I think you are little too focused on Dallas and Austin.
Anyway here is the median national info:
The link if you want to dig in yourself: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/se...
Not seeing a national decline…..

Lots of sourced out there. I’d say it’s likely in between but Redfin is not perfect no. The Fed is probably more accurate for historical data.
All that aside even Redfin is 9%. So where is the 18%?

Yeah man I can’t believe I’m saying but this is perfect post for @James Hamling to respond to in his own unique way….
@Greg R. so your suggestion is take a 4 month period where it dropped and just times it by 3 and thats the annual return? Not pay attention to trajectory and general direction? That’s not how it works. Your own data even shows it flatlining the last few months….
is that how you calculated growth when things are good?
Yes.Try to use Zillow and you will see the reduction nationally is only 1K. There's a technical reason why there's difference between Redfin and Zillow.
Honestly, you have to examine the drop in max 8 markets only, as the impact is quite regional. Try to analyze Austin.
I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of Redfin data. Tell me, what does Zillow show as the median sold price in May, and then in Sep?
Jun 359k
Sep 358k
You need to understand about statistical error that I mentioned earlier. If there're 100 houses, and two 2 million houses experiencing -35% price reduction, it doesn't mean the rest of 98 houses are having the same issue.
This price reduction is extremely specific after I investigated. I can send the whole PDF for our market if you like.
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
Like I said I’d love to see this “national”. I think you are little too focused on Dallas and Austin.
Anyway here is the median national info:
The link if you want to dig in yourself: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/se...
Not seeing a national decline…..

Lots of sourced out there. I’d say it’s likely in between but Redfin is not perfect no. The Fed is probably more accurate for historical data.
All that aside even Redfin is 9%. So where is the 18%?

Yeah man I can’t believe I’m saying but this is perfect post for @James Hamling to respond to in his own unique way….
@Greg R. so your suggestion is take a 4 month period where it dropped and just times it by 3 and thats the annual return? Not pay attention to trajectory and general direction? That’s not how it works. Your own data even shows it flatlining the last few months….
Yeah, I guess it would be a good idea to summon James if you want someone to post a 6 paragraph rant of nonsense to muddy the waters.
And in the 4 months since the peak, there has been decline every month. Some months more than others, but the trajectory has been down.
I'm not picking a random 4 month period in time. We should be able to universally agree that prices peaked in May. So I'm looking at post-peak prices.
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
Like I said I’d love to see this “national”. I think you are little too focused on Dallas and Austin.
Anyway here is the median national info:
The link if you want to dig in yourself: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/se...
Not seeing a national decline…..

Lots of sourced out there. I’d say it’s likely in between but Redfin is not perfect no. The Fed is probably more accurate for historical data.
All that aside even Redfin is 9%. So where is the 18%?

Yeah man I can’t believe I’m saying but this is perfect post for @James Hamling to respond to in his own unique way….
@Greg R. so your suggestion is take a 4 month period where it dropped and just times it by 3 and thats the annual return? Not pay attention to trajectory and general direction? That’s not how it works. Your own data even shows it flatlining the last few months….
Yeah, I guess it would be a good idea to summon James if you want someone to post a 6 paragraph rant of nonsense to muddy the waters.
And in the 4 months since the peak, there has been decline every month. Some months more than others, but the trajectory has been down.
I'm not picking a random 4 month period in time. We should be able to universally agree that prices peaked in May. So I'm looking at post-peak prices.
I’m not interested in being quite so blunt as he is. But he would have a field day with this. Agree May was the peak but you are literally taking the prime peak and the initial trough but then suggestion that will happen annually.
Instead lets look at this:
July 411k - August $405k - September $403k…
What do you want to bet October is over $400k? Those same 3 months are showing exactly what it is going with. And the direction is no where near your 18%.
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
Like I said I’d love to see this “national”. I think you are little too focused on Dallas and Austin.
Anyway here is the median national info:
The link if you want to dig in yourself: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/se...
Not seeing a national decline…..

Lots of sourced out there. I’d say it’s likely in between but Redfin is not perfect no. The Fed is probably more accurate for historical data.
All that aside even Redfin is 9%. So where is the 18%?

Yeah man I can’t believe I’m saying but this is perfect post for @James Hamling to respond to in his own unique way….
@Greg R. so your suggestion is take a 4 month period where it dropped and just times it by 3 and thats the annual return? Not pay attention to trajectory and general direction? That’s not how it works. Your own data even shows it flatlining the last few months….
Yeah, I guess it would be a good idea to summon James if you want someone to post a 6 paragraph rant of nonsense to muddy the waters.
And in the 4 months since the peak, there has been decline every month. Some months more than others, but the trajectory has been down.
I'm not picking a random 4 month period in time. We should be able to universally agree that prices peaked in May. So I'm looking at post-peak prices.
I’m not interested in being quite so blunt as he is. But he would have a field day with this. Agree May was the peak but you are literally taking the prime peak and the initial trough but then suggestion that will happen annually.
Instead lets look at this:
July 411k - August $405k - September $403k…
What do you want to bet October is over $400k? Those same 3 months are showing exactly what it is going with. And the direction is no where near your 18%.
And in the 4 months since the peak, there has been decline every month. Some months more than others, but the trajectory has been down.
If you said the trajectory is down, then it's correct. Freddie Mac say we are going down until August 2023. But only down 1.5%, that number you may not like I guess :-)
And in the 4 months since the peak, there has been decline every month. Some months more than others, but the trajectory has been down.
If you said the trajectory is down, then it's correct. Freddie Mac say we are going down until August 2023. But only down 1.5%, that number you may not like I guess :-)
Good to know that an inept federal agency knows what's going to happen a year out. Maybe you can ask them for the winning Powerball numbers. I hear it's up to 2 billion now. Powerball is a day or two out, so this should be a no-brainer for them compared to fortune telling a year out.
Didn't want to edit out my original comment... Freddie actually "operates under a congressional charter" - this is for the smarty pants who are going to come in and state that they're not a federal agency.
And in the 4 months since the peak, there has been decline every month. Some months more than others, but the trajectory has been down.
If you said the trajectory is down, then it's correct. Freddie Mac say we are going down until August 2023. But only down 1.5%, that number you may not like I guess :-)
Good to know that an inept federal agency knows what's going to happen a year out. Maybe you can ask them for the winning Powerball numbers. I hear it's up to 2 billion now. Powerball is a day or two out, so this should be a no-brainer for them compared to fortune telling a year out.
Ok going to channel my inner James. Pretty harsh for somebody not using a trend line talking about trajectory…..
People who think the housing market is not experiencing declines despite rates in the 7's and hyperinflation (not to mention the data) are quite comical to me.
Do you mean Zillow and Freddie Mac is comical :) LOL LOL
Would love to see this data showing 18% on national median home sale price decline…..
Do the math. Look at the decline since May and annualize it. June, July, August, & September.
Like I said I’d love to see this “national”. I think you are little too focused on Dallas and Austin.
Anyway here is the median national info:
The link if you want to dig in yourself: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/se...
Not seeing a national decline…..

Lots of sourced out there. I’d say it’s likely in between but Redfin is not perfect no. The Fed is probably more accurate for historical data.
All that aside even Redfin is 9%. So where is the 18%?

Yeah man I can’t believe I’m saying but this is perfect post for @James Hamling to respond to in his own unique way….
@Greg R. so your suggestion is take a 4 month period where it dropped and just times it by 3 and thats the annual return? Not pay attention to trajectory and general direction? That’s not how it works. Your own data even shows it flatlining the last few months….
Yeah, I guess it would be a good idea to summon James if you want someone to post a 6 paragraph rant of nonsense to muddy the waters.
And in the 4 months since the peak, there has been decline every month. Some months more than others, but the trajectory has been down.
I'm not picking a random 4 month period in time. We should be able to universally agree that prices peaked in May. So I'm looking at post-peak prices.
I’m not interested in being quite so blunt as he is. But he would have a field day with this. Agree May was the peak but you are literally taking the prime peak and the initial trough but then suggestion that will happen annually.
Instead lets look at this:
July 411k - August $405k - September $403k…
What do you want to bet October is over $400k? Those same 3 months are showing exactly what it is going with. And the direction is no where near your 18%.
OMG Really.......
Please, feel free to tell me exactly where in the graph below is "the bubble", of this decline that is supposedly happening everywhere..... Bueler..... Bueler....... Bueler.......
Congratulations, you found A market that has SOME decline, yeah for you. Guess what, CA is NOT the United States. Seriously, how many flipping times do I gotta come on and smack people into reality. The disinformation is EXHAUSTING. As many, MANY of us have said from day 1 there will be localized market variations, THERE ALWAYS IS. I guarantee that during the boom of last couple years there is some markets out there somewhere that were struggling, maybe there coal mine got shut down, of whatever. Point is local market variations ARE NOT THE WHOLE.
This doomsday moron class of people who just refuse to step out of there cave and accept reality for what it is.....
And this graph below, it's not some poh-dunk backwater nowhere, it's a MAJOR national market. So where is the collapse? At what point will you people accept reality, admit the sky is not falling, when, how many months of NO collapse does it take?

And in the 4 months since the peak, there has been decline every month. Some months more than others, but the trajectory has been down.
If you said the trajectory is down, then it's correct. Freddie Mac say we are going down until August 2023. But only down 1.5%, that number you may not like I guess :-)
Good to know that an inept federal agency knows what's going to happen a year out. Maybe you can ask them for the winning Powerball numbers. I hear it's up to 2 billion now. Powerball is a day or two out, so this should be a no-brainer for them compared to fortune telling a year out.
Ok going to channel my inner James. Pretty harsh for somebody not using a trend line talking about trajectory…..
And in the 4 months since the peak, there has been decline every month. Some months more than others, but the trajectory has been down.
If you said the trajectory is down, then it's correct. Freddie Mac say we are going down until August 2023. But only down 1.5%, that number you may not like I guess :-)
Good to know that an inept federal agency knows what's going to happen a year out. Maybe you can ask them for the winning Powerball numbers. I hear it's up to 2 billion now. Powerball is a day or two out, so this should be a no-brainer for them compared to fortune telling a year out.
Ok going to channel my inner James. Pretty harsh for somebody not using a trend line talking about trajectory…..
I don’t always agree with James but he makes a lot of valid points. As he did above. I just didn’t want to be quite so blunt but when you posted Redfin data for 18% and then told me how you calculated. Candidly I wanted to say some pretty blunt things.
Your own data doesn’t show what you claim not even a bit…