Looking for Advice on Breaking Into Real Estate & Short-Term Rentals

Looking for Advice on Breaking Into Real Estate & Short-Term Rentals

New to Real Estate · Arlington, VA · Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hi everyone! I’m a 20-year-old junior in college currently earning my Bachelor’s in Business Management. I’ve been working as a leasing agent since 2024, and that experience really confirmed that real estate is the field I want to build my career in.

I’ve found that I genuinely enjoy helping people find a place to live — whether that’s a long-term home, a short-term rental, or even a vacation stay. Helping people make informed housing decisions is something I’ve grown passionate about.

Right now, I’m focusing fully on school and preparing to become a licensed real estate agent. With about a year and a half left until graduation, I want to start diving deeper into real estate, especially short-term rentals and property management/co-hosting.

I’m very motivated by structure and routine, and long-term my goal is to have more control over my schedule and build something of my own.

For those who’ve been in a similar position:

  • What would you focus on first while still in school?
  • Are there specific skills, roles, or experiences you recommend (co-hosting, property management, investing, etc.)?
  • Anything you wish you had done earlier?
1Reply
96 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7mo

    Good for you! The one thing that I regret is not leaving my W2 job sooner in favor of starting a business. I was 40. Work for the best companies you can find for the next 10 years and start/buy/run a biz on the side, don't wait until you go full-time. 

    Meanwhile, working for top companies will get you trained on best practices and skills you just don't learn in school. If I work with a business owner, I can always tell if someone has a corporate background - they think and act differently.

  • New to Real Estate · Arlington, VA · Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7mo

    Thanks for the advice Marcus! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.