Eviction Surge Nevada - Las Vegas - Clark County

Eviction Surge Nevada - Las Vegas - Clark County

Realtor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 14 votes

Has anyone seen this report from the Guinn Center? Meet Kevin also did some discussion on this topic. I feel like most landlords here on BP got above 80% rents during this crisis, but I'm sure there are many mom and pop landlords who aren't on here that didn't handle the crisis as well as those on here who knew what to do. Report is here:

https://guinncenter.org/wp-con...

As well, the Nevada Unemployment Insurance Program has announced that they are running low on funds, with some estimates saying they have about 8 weeks of funding left unless they get federal assistance. Combined with a huge state deficit and proposed budget cuts of over $1B to cover this, do you think there is a coming eviction surge? Will this cause a foreclosure surge in the valley as well as mortgage forbearance comes to an end? Could be a great time to find deals as small time landlords try to unload their headaches.

Link to the Unemployment article:

https://www.ktnv.com/news/coro...

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
6y

As a general rule across the spectrum's of various investing and economics the foundational rule comes to the essential life blood of the system is liquidity in the system, it is the blood that pumps through the veins. So while having an injury to any 1 system is a problem, contraction of liquidity in the system (capital/incomes removed) is the life threatening item. 

The unemployment has been mitigated, addressing the contraction of capital, but there is a finite amount of capital the country can outlay. Review actions the fed has had to take to keep the financial wheels going, by most regards we are somewhere around plan W in options available to keep the capital available at the Fed level to distribute unto states, and states are closer to plan X if not Y or Z depending on the state. 

This paradigm is why there is this growing urgency by POTUS to get the country open and moving, as the economy takes time to get going and there is no long term mitigation potentials for a mostly closed economy in the US, fact of math. 

With all that, it's the duration of things that concern me. Remove the capital injecting actions at play currently, things will get interesting real quick if there is still considerable uncertainty as to the future of things in peoples mind, as thats when people think to save. Remember going into this the average American had 2 weeks of savings..... 

Worst case: sizable default on rental payments (20%+) causing high leveraged property owners to enter net negative territory on operation funds, fearing a mortgage default position endangering other holdings a sizable volume of properties enters the market for sale in short time frame, inducing decrease in median sale value of homes which of course the media in all it's well thought careful reporting will properly report..... OR will flock to the doom-reporting and sell the fear of the market declining, inducing additional significant volumes of properties to come on the market in a race to "beat" the decline, there in fueling the decline itself following a supply/demand cycle and so on and so fourth as the feedback loop begins. As fear is sold by the media drooling at the next crisis to pump ratings, ancillary market actions come into play as business's fear the potential and start drawing back staff and inventory to prepare "just in case", which feedback into sourcing business's and companies who act similarly and in reaction to lowered demand, layoff's begin gaining momentum, and the feedback loop get's going industry wide.  Now with media drunk on the sky high ratings as it's 24-7 apocalyptic reporting "bliss" the stock markets steadily tumbling, world markets start reeling from feedback loops and we are in a full out economic "run on the bank" BUT with a current pandemic condition, a mitigating factor as barrier to standard mitigating actions and economic injections. 

Summary: things may get a little wobbly but calm intelligent actions will prevail and things will go on and in 6 months to 1yr we will be through this and it will be more a blip than anything else.... OR it's gonna unwind like a pinata at a MLB party and we will all be more focused on how we are gonna pay for food and fuel than paying a mortgage of what tenant payed in full. 

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    6y

    Both evictions and unemployment articles are not good news. Evictions are par for the course, and if tenants cannot pay, then end result is eviction. The unemployment is running out, but there is the ability for state to borrow from the federal government. This is not a handout, and loan does need to be repaid. This can be repaid by raising the unemployment rate for payroll taxes. 

    One of of two does have a solution.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    Didn’t you collect all your rent Michael? Are you a mom and pop landlord that wants to sell now? I’m a mom and pop landlord (with no kids) with only 14 properties but everyone paid on time and my one vacancy was filled with a 20% rent increase in 2 weeks. 

    To be fair, these are houses not apartments. And, like the last crisis where Rental houses did great in Vegas, they seem to be doing very well this time as well. 

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    6y

    @Bill B.

    nice hearing from your bill. i read that you are moving soon to minnesota, as your wife took early retirement.  does this mean you are selling your current residence for tax free gain? or make a rental?

    End of July is a crucial time, as people getting CARES act money will end. As months get closer, the picture will get clearer as to which direction the economy and home prices will go. 

    Below is link to youtube, which discuss the many casinos that sent 60 day letters to employees. This is a required step before layoffs can become permanent. 

    Second link is the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. June's numbers were off 90-95% from prior year, same month. 



    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/888/topics/854548-eviction-surge-nevada-las-vegas-clark-county?page=1&utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Transactional:%20topic_notification&utm_content=Transactional#p5018747



    https://www.lvcva.com/research/visitor-statistics/

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    @Terry Lao

    Hey Terry,

    I sold my first property ever last July when I sold my primary and moved in to one of my rentals over in Aliante. (It’s only gone up about $40k since then. Argh!) I have to stay here at least 1 more year for partial tax benefits to kick in. I’m raising the rent on the MN property to $3,000 this year and then $3500 next year to see if they want to move out. Otherwise I’ll just rent 1 day less than 6 months per yer  there. I don’t want to pay MN income tax on my Nevada income. So if I keep this place 4 more years I can sell it tax free and move my primary to another rental that I spend 6 months and a day in for 5 years and repeat. 

    It’s a hassle but it’s $50-$100k in taxes per property. So it’s like being paid $10-$20k per year to live in them. 

    I could be talked in to selling a NLV rental that I’ve only owned for 7-10 years next year when I’m in the lower tax bracket as i won’t live long enough to live in each of them for 5 years, but even that $40-$50k tax hit is hard to accept on a property making $12k-$15k per year. So you pay $40k to lower your income for the rest of your life. 

    Sorry to ramble on but new points kept coming up to clarify what I was thinking and why. 

    Ps. Have a crane coming Saturday to replace my first bad AC unit in at least 5 years. Expect more because of the new Freon laws.

  • Realtor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Bill Brandt Fair point Mr. Brandt, as I do not have any rental units. I did see your posts earlier this year and you are included in that statistic of those who collected all their rents. I would consider you at a higher skill level than a lot of one property landlords out there.

    As far as that NLV property you’re thinking of selling in a few years you could try doing seller financing. Since it’s classified as an installment sale you spread out your tax hit over the life of the loan and you won’t have to pay a large capital gains tax up front. Could be worth looking into (I am not a CPA so check with your own tax people)

    As well I just had to replace the compressor in my AC unit and got great service from a local company. I was chatting with the tech about the new laws and got some clarification. The old R-22 is illegal to import or manufacture so the price is going to climb as supplies dwindle. His price (with markup) was $75/pound. The replacement for it is R-407c and its only $35/pound and works in all the systems that currently use R-22. It works almost as good as the old stuff (might struggle a little on the 110+ degree days but otherwise works the same). I thought he would have to replace the whole thing but you don’t have to unless you want to completely upgrade to a newer refrigerant. But for now the R-407c works great and is approved by the EPA and is plentiful.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    @Michael Tully

    Thanks Michael. The way I understood was it’s been illegal to make for years but soon would be illegal to even refill. I hadn’t heard of a compatible replacement. That is good news.(I know several years ago I had to buy old stock R22 to save a boatload on a pair of units that were sold as a repair to my existing unit.)  but those were ground mounted units and current replacement is roof mounted which I think means the heat is handled differently )

    I don’t really like the idea of an installment sale, it feels a lot like just collecting rent except in the end I lose the property. 

    Ps. I didn’t know you didn’t own any rentals and my post wasn’t a dig at you in anyway. I ASSumed you were about my size and I would consider anyone with less than 50 units mom and pop. 

  • Realtor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Bill Brandt Yeah someone told me that a contractor could lose their license for filling with R-22 but I’m not sure how accurate that was.

    Yeah I can see that. Unless you really trust the buyer it’s safer to just sell and take your earnings!

    No worries! I wasn’t offended. I just didn’t want to come across as an armchair quarterback. I don’t know you personally so I thought Bill was a bit too informal! You’re famously a fan of Blaze pizza and one day I’ll be sending an invite your way! I appreciate the replies and your input as always.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    @Michael Tully

    I still eat there once every week or two. Burgers got too expensive. :-)

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    As a general rule across the spectrum's of various investing and economics the foundational rule comes to the essential life blood of the system is liquidity in the system, it is the blood that pumps through the veins. So while having an injury to any 1 system is a problem, contraction of liquidity in the system (capital/incomes removed) is the life threatening item. 

    The unemployment has been mitigated, addressing the contraction of capital, but there is a finite amount of capital the country can outlay. Review actions the fed has had to take to keep the financial wheels going, by most regards we are somewhere around plan W in options available to keep the capital available at the Fed level to distribute unto states, and states are closer to plan X if not Y or Z depending on the state. 

    This paradigm is why there is this growing urgency by POTUS to get the country open and moving, as the economy takes time to get going and there is no long term mitigation potentials for a mostly closed economy in the US, fact of math. 

    With all that, it's the duration of things that concern me. Remove the capital injecting actions at play currently, things will get interesting real quick if there is still considerable uncertainty as to the future of things in peoples mind, as thats when people think to save. Remember going into this the average American had 2 weeks of savings..... 

    Worst case: sizable default on rental payments (20%+) causing high leveraged property owners to enter net negative territory on operation funds, fearing a mortgage default position endangering other holdings a sizable volume of properties enters the market for sale in short time frame, inducing decrease in median sale value of homes which of course the media in all it's well thought careful reporting will properly report..... OR will flock to the doom-reporting and sell the fear of the market declining, inducing additional significant volumes of properties to come on the market in a race to "beat" the decline, there in fueling the decline itself following a supply/demand cycle and so on and so fourth as the feedback loop begins. As fear is sold by the media drooling at the next crisis to pump ratings, ancillary market actions come into play as business's fear the potential and start drawing back staff and inventory to prepare "just in case", which feedback into sourcing business's and companies who act similarly and in reaction to lowered demand, layoff's begin gaining momentum, and the feedback loop get's going industry wide.  Now with media drunk on the sky high ratings as it's 24-7 apocalyptic reporting "bliss" the stock markets steadily tumbling, world markets start reeling from feedback loops and we are in a full out economic "run on the bank" BUT with a current pandemic condition, a mitigating factor as barrier to standard mitigating actions and economic injections. 

    Summary: things may get a little wobbly but calm intelligent actions will prevail and things will go on and in 6 months to 1yr we will be through this and it will be more a blip than anything else.... OR it's gonna unwind like a pinata at a MLB party and we will all be more focused on how we are gonna pay for food and fuel than paying a mortgage of what tenant payed in full. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2020 · 39 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    I also have a rental property in North Las Vegas and luckily have not had trouble receiving rent. I am actually actively looking to buying a duplex right now thinking landlords would want to sell before hitting default on their payments. But every offer I've put in or reached out to, the sellers show no interest and stay firm on the price.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Michael Tully What price range do the communities fall in?

  • Investor · California / Costa Rica · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @James Hamling Well thought out scenarios and information. Thank you.

  • Realtor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 14 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dwayne L.:

    @Michael Tully What price range do the communities fall in?

     The data set is looking at what percentage of renters are now unemployed due to COVID-19. The data doesn't include price ranges but does note that those who are low income earners, people of color, and undocumented individuals are historically the most at risk for evictions when unemployment rises. With data that shows that most people spent their stimulus checks already and the unemployment benefits at risk of running out, their statistics show that people will begin to face evictions when their savings run out. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Las Vegas · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    I'm a commercial broker who manages three large shopping centers in the Vegas market. We have been collecting about 85% of our rents. But most of our tenants have been getting federal assistance the entire time and have opened up to 50% capacity since the phrase 2 opening. Also the moratorium on evictions has been lifted for commercial tenants and will be lifted for residential September 1st. 

    I am starting to feel more residential property owners stressing more as federal money is becoming less and state government funds is also under stress. Nevada did just announce they have $30 million available for Nevada State renters, landlords and commercial tenants. Its on a first come first serve basis. 

    Link for $30 million assistance: 

    https://housing.nv.gov/

    It's going to get bad. National projections are saying over 28 million evictions and foreclosures nationwide. Vegas is having a hard time fully opening and one of the major casino operators just announced they will be laying people off. 

    But I am looking for deals. So if you hear of any contact me. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    I'm writing this while trying not to be pissed, but I'm human.  Most of my tenants (n=3) have paid and are up to date, and are really good.  A 4th one who moved in in March had been paying albeit late through to June. Now she's not paid for July and is avoiding us.  Had a meeting set for this afternoon at her place and waited an hour with no luck.  Because of the situation (her friend who we talked to when we were there said she was depressed as her husband left her and she has a small kid), we left a note and will be phoning the police tomorrow for a welfare check and then will have a locksmith meet us on Thursday to rekey the lock (giving her notice and telling her when, so we aren't locking her out, but we can't get in).  The tenancy board said we could tell her she needs to pay or be evicted even though we can't evict until Sept 1 for non-payment. (this isn't in NV, but in BC)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.