How I’m preparing for the 2021 housing market correction.

How I’m preparing for the 2021 housing market correction.

Elgin, IL · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 15 votes

As I've stated on numerous occasions, we’ll see a wave of distressed Real Estate assets up for grabs for pennies on the dollar. I am taking my preparation levels to the maximum extent. I desire to come out of this market correction with triumph.

Lately, I've been primarily focused on expanding my network of local investors, brokers, property managers, contractors, and most importantly, the small community banks. These small community banks are extremely vital in this scenario because they are willing to do everything in their power to help you achieve in your endeavors. It's inevitable that a majority of these community banks will possess a great number of high-potential, distressed assets in these next 6-8 months. And I know they won't have any intention of keeping these properties on their books so they'll most certainly be letting these go for pennies on the dollar. It's best that I build these relationships with the banks now so when that 6-8 month mark arrives, I've already got exclusive access to these discounted properties without having to budge. And on top of that, expanding my resources of property managers, contractors, brokers, and investors will only provide me so much creativity to utilize in this opportunistic process.

When April of 2021 hits, I will be sure that I've performed the necessary market analyses and due diligence, assembled a competent crew, and secured an abundance of investment capital.

My advice to you all: Don't be late to the party.

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
5y

@Jalen Chanthaboury even during the housing crash, most properties didn't go for pennies on the dollar. My state is offering mortgage assistance to catch people up, but realistically most people here are not even behind. Our state unemployment is pretty much back to pre-COVID levels. I am not saying some markets won't have troubles, but there is not a national real estate crash pending. People have cash and are waiting ready, which means even if there are deals, they will not sell for pennies on the dollar. You are saying don't be late for the party, I am saying get in line for the party. 

Also keep in mind during the housing crash that venture capital firms came in and swooped up cheap properties in mass. You need some serious cash to play that game.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y

    @Jalen Chanthaboury even during the housing crash, most properties didn't go for pennies on the dollar. My state is offering mortgage assistance to catch people up, but realistically most people here are not even behind. Our state unemployment is pretty much back to pre-COVID levels. I am not saying some markets won't have troubles, but there is not a national real estate crash pending. People have cash and are waiting ready, which means even if there are deals, they will not sell for pennies on the dollar. You are saying don't be late for the party, I am saying get in line for the party. 

    Also keep in mind during the housing crash that venture capital firms came in and swooped up cheap properties in mass. You need some serious cash to play that game.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glens Falls, NY · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 169 votes
    5y

    Another market correction thread.. Is it 2015 again? 2016 2017? 18? 19? 20?

    All of these BP wizards have been wrong for the past 4 years. 

    Pennies on the dollar? wishful thinking. 

    "Aspiring real estate investor" 

    And my advice to you- get in the game kid. You can regurgitate market corrections, crashes and flashy buzzwords all you want- I am glad you're preparing for something that was supposed to happen years ago without having an egg in the basket. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jalen Chanthaboury:

    most certainly be letting these go for pennies on the dollar. 

    When April of 2021 hits, I will be sure that I've performed the necessary market analyses and due diligence, assembled a competent crew, and secured an abundance of investment capital.

    Good advice to anyone in in any part of the market cycle if in accumulation phase. 

    I would recommend having private sources of capital.  When the market collapsed last time my favorite community banks weren't 'lending until the dust settles and there is less regulatory uncertainty. '

    When RE is being listed for 'pennies on the dollar', regs change.  That takes time. Banks don't lend when things are uncertain. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    You have the wrong idea about real estate investing...and about conditions determining your success.  I recommend analyzing real deals, making offers, and purchasing properties that meet your criteria (regardless of conditions).  Otherwise, you will wait around for conditions that may never happen...and then, if they do, you won't be able to capitalize on them anyway without actual experience.  Banks provide exclusive access to actual investors with portfolios.  Sorry for the tough love.  Keep taking action...just point it in the right direction.

  • Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    @Mike Dymski Mr.Dymski, How could a wholesaler take advantage of this?

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Ok. Lets pretend just for a moment you are right. Do you think you are the only buyer in this scenario? All of your "network" are in business to make money. How will you keep them engaged for the next 6 months without throwing them any business? Secondly when these wonderful properties are available for pennies on the dollar do you think investors sitting on millions of cash on the sidelines are going to let you come in with your sad 20% down financed offers and let you scoop up these sweet deals? As others have said, get your head out of the clouds, buy something and then let discuss.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Troy Weaver:

    @Mike Dymski Mr.Dymski, How could a wholesaler take advantage of this?

    Focus on deal flow and your criteria.  BP members have been prophesizing a market correction since 2014...thousands of posts.  It's just noise.  At some point it may happen and the experienced investors will take advantage of it.  And, in the meantime, they have made six, seven, or eight figures in profits.

    Pivot with conditions by selling the marginal properties, keeping the good ones, adding select properties that meet your criteria, bolstering reserves, having cash flow and prudent debt, and sleep well at night.

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 818 posts · 639 votes
    5y

    There is no timing the market, only time in the market. 

    It is always a good time to deploy capital if you are discipline and make good deals.

  • Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    @mike dymski Thank you I appreciate the game.

    the game.

  • Investor · Hawaiian Gardens, CA · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 386 votes
    5y

    Mortgage rates are still at historic lows. Supply hasn't caught up to demand yet. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Salem, OR · Member since 2019 · 86 posts · 60 votes
    5y

    By the time the crash comes, the market would have appreciated enough to offset any declines to come. You cannot time the market so its best to keep making money at all times. If you buy at a 10-20% discount now through networks and the crash happens tomorrow, instead of following the decline just sell at break even or keep it as a rental. I know some people who are still waiting since 2018.. well my market has increased about 25-30% since then so they have lost much more money in opportunity costs than they will save from a crash.. Then of course if you are new and have no experience, good luck finding money to fund the deals during a crash. Money gets tight for everyone during a crash. 

  • Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 231 votes
    5y

    @Jalen Chanthaboury

    Odds of pennies on the dollar widespread is lower than the odds of getting stuck by lightning. Double digit drop in majority of markets is in my opinion also highly unlikely. I think double digit increase is more likely than decrease in my market.

    I don’t think anyone claiming a crash is coming can fathom the amount of money pumped in the economy right now. The money supply is around 20% more than last year.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.