I moved into an apartment about a year ago and national grid was still underneath the old tenants name and National Grid said they cannot take the previous tenants name off and could switch it without her permission. My roommates and I told our landlord if he can notify the previous tenant that her name is still with National Grid for the apartment and he did nothing about it. He personally knows the previous tenant and was talking to them Recently and gave them my name and my Facebook. I was contacted by the previous tenants daughter saying the landlord told them that I told him I would be paying that bill , Only me not my roommate going to pay this bill.I was wondering if it is our responsibility to pay a whole year of the utilities. Even though me and my roommate said everything in our power to get national grid changed into one of our names and not the previous tenants
Real Estate Investor · Unadilla NY · Member since 2017 · 418 posts · 297 votes
5y
To me it sounds like a good problem to have. From my experience from National Grid if you call and say you want the service put in your name they are more than happy to switch it over to your name. Just make sure they document when you moved in and called to switch the utilities over and call periodically making sure they wont shut off service. You may have just had a bad representative that didn't know what they were doing.
Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
5y
Your lease should've been proof enough that you and your roommate were the new tenants and National Grid should've put it in your name. Has the bill not been paid in a year? I can't believe they didn't cut the power off months ago.