Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 335 posts · 193 votes
BP Community,
Any thoughts on this community called “Shaenfield Place” in northwest San Antonio? I’m a long term buy and hold investor and want to hold for 15+ years. Property I’m looking at cash flows, but want to see if BP folks here have any feedback on neighborhood growth, safety, and appreciation etc. thanks so much!
I live a couple miles from Shaenfield Place and drive by the area most days on my commute. While the area doesn't have the same growth rate or potential as some other areas of the city (such as the I-35 corridor between San Antonio and Austin), it has some positive attributes that make it a good place for buy-and-hold investors.
Shaenfield Place is less than a mile outside San Antonio's outer loop (1604), allowing easy access to one of the city's main thoroughfares. It's also in close proximity to UTSA and a relatively easy commute to either Lackland Air Force Base or Camp Bullis, leading to a consistent demand for rentals and a solid tenant population.
The neighborhood is within Northside ISD and currently zoned for Fields Elementary, Jefferson Middle School, and Harlan High School, all of which are rated 7/10 on GreatSchools. The neighborhood is relatively safe and well-kept.
If you find a property that cash flows in Shaenfield Place, I'd have no hesitations purchasing a buy-and-hold there.
I live a couple miles from Shaenfield Place and drive by the area most days on my commute. While the area doesn't have the same growth rate or potential as some other areas of the city (such as the I-35 corridor between San Antonio and Austin), it has some positive attributes that make it a good place for buy-and-hold investors.
Shaenfield Place is less than a mile outside San Antonio's outer loop (1604), allowing easy access to one of the city's main thoroughfares. It's also in close proximity to UTSA and a relatively easy commute to either Lackland Air Force Base or Camp Bullis, leading to a consistent demand for rentals and a solid tenant population.
The neighborhood is within Northside ISD and currently zoned for Fields Elementary, Jefferson Middle School, and Harlan High School, all of which are rated 7/10 on GreatSchools. The neighborhood is relatively safe and well-kept.
If you find a property that cash flows in Shaenfield Place, I'd have no hesitations purchasing a buy-and-hold there.
Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 23 votes
5y
It is a really solid area - great location to attractions, shopping, food and family fun. Also within commute to a few military bases and multiple highways @Allen Wu - I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat if it was a deal.
It is a really solid area - great location to attractions, shopping, food and family fun. Also within commute to a few military bases and multiple highways @Allen Wu - I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat if it was a deal.
Thanks! Do you see the SA market slowing down anytime soon? Market appears to be hot in recent months.
Congrats on purchasing the unit; thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. I’m bullish on this area of San Antonio (good mix of tenant/economic stability, solid neighborhoods/schools, with both some cash flow and appreciation potential). The price point has increased steadily the past couple years, but hoping for your continued success moving forward.
Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y
@Allen Wu a few of my clients have purchased investment properties in that neighborhood in the last few years, and we also manage several in that area. If you've found one that cash flows there, I'd suggest buying immediately. It's tough to find deals with the proper rent to price ratio at the moment. I would suggest that you take a hard look at your rental comps. There is a pretty wide range of property sizes and configurations. With some of the smaller homes in that area, it's easy to be fooled by the market rents.
I live a couple miles from Shaenfield Place and drive by the area most days on my commute. While the area doesn't have the same growth rate or potential as some other areas of the city (such as the I-35 corridor between San Antonio and Austin), it has some positive attributes that make it a good place for buy-and-hold investors.
Shaenfield Place is less than a mile outside San Antonio's outer loop (1604), allowing easy access to one of the city's main thoroughfares. It's also in close proximity to UTSA and a relatively easy commute to either Lackland Air Force Base or Camp Bullis, leading to a consistent demand for rentals and a solid tenant population.
The neighborhood is within Northside ISD and currently zoned for Fields Elementary, Jefferson Middle School, and Harlan High School, all of which are rated 7/10 on GreatSchools. The neighborhood is relatively safe and well-kept.
If you find a property that cash flows in Shaenfield Place, I'd have no hesitations purchasing a buy-and-hold there.
Do you know why this area is so hot? I can not longer find SFH under $225k
Prices have steadily risen across San Antonio since this thread launched a year ago. What you’re seeing in Schaenfield Place is a reflection of what we’ve seen across the city. Some neighborhoods that had reasonable price points a year or two ago no longer pencil out as profitable investment areas anymore.
The only major growth and development taking place around Schaenfield Place (beyond the levels of growth we’re seeing elsewhere in San Antonio) is the expansion of Hwy 1604. Schaenfield Place sits just outside of 1604, so most residents likely use that highway to get to work. Once the highway expansion is completed, it should cut down residents’ commute time to some of the major employers located on 1604 such as USAA, Valero, and UTSA.