How many tenants make it to a showing ?

How many tenants make it to a showing ?

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes

I have a 2/1 SFH up for rent . Listed on Zillow and Marketplace . Now I am not running there every time someone wants to see it . ( too many no shows ) . So when I get a message , I answer their questions , that knocks out 1/3 . ( yes I need the whole security deposit ) . So I tell them if they are interested , get back to me on Saturday and I will give you the time and address for the showing on Sunday . So out of 30 people left , 6 get back for the info , two of them dont like my showing times and want later in the afternoon . ( sorry , no , I have plans ) . Then on Sunday , 3 show up , the first wants to know if I am the owner , I tell them I represent the owner , they insist on talking with the owner , I tell them that you talk with me and thats it . They leave very mad . ( oh well ) . The second couple shows up , I introduce myself , and hand them a list of the requirements , they want to know why I wont take someone with a previous eviction , they claimed it was due to covid , not their fault . " Sorry thats the landlords policy no exceptions " . Third couple shows up , with their kid , I give them the requirements and show the house , they want a better school district . They say the house is too small for the money , they can get an apartment twice the size for the same price . And I ask them " Are they in good school districts ? " They say no . So I give them an application and tell them if they are interested fill it out and mail it to me .

Its amazing how many people "want " to rent it until they find out that they need a 690 credit score , verifible income , and a credit and criminal background check will be done .  Then the hard luck stories , not my faults , and I am a great tenant . 

And Sunday morning I get to do it again . 

4Reply
143 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
4y

We batch showings to eliminate having to constantly send someone to show. Typically space them 10-15 minutes apart, and if we can have something for the "show-er" to do while they're there all the better - take care of a minor issue, trim a shrub, etc. Works great and pretty typical that we have 3-10 qualified applicants within the first couple of days to pick from. No-shows are approximately 50% of all appointments, though that number has been dropping over the last two years as housing has become tighter around here. We try to have 2 showing times during the week and one on the weekend, and if you can't figure out how to make one of those you must not seriously need a place to live.

As for platforms, we started using Marketplace the last two vacancies but the biggest bunch of deadbeats and no-shows came from there. Both our successful applicants came from Zillow. 

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Lots of people don't read/listen or think the rules don't apply to them.  Anyone who talks has lots of excuses/knows everything....avoid them.  Stay firm and the right person will come along.

  • New to Real Estate · Burlington MA · Member since 2022 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    I have had similar experiences and sad stories so you are not alone! I had someone claim to be making $1000 a week, only it was under the table, doing something he wasn't eager to explain, with no tax returns either. Are you using Zillow's online application process vs handing out applications when you show it. I found  that Zillow's online process weeded out alot of folks, as I respond to the initial email inquiries with a few key questions and reiterate the requirements.  Initially I did an open house style showing, like 12-3 pm on a Sat, (as I was driving out for no shows when I scheduled one person), but still only 2 out of 15 would appear and I'd sit there all afternoon for nothing. I ended up scheduling group showings, having someone at 12:15, 12:40 etc. and that worked out better, having someone commit to a specific time and texting them a few hours beforehand to confirm. Of course if you are getting dozens of applicants maybe that would be burdensome. Are you actually the owner, but tell them you are the representative. I've considered doing that; my brother in law does that for his rentals, but here in Mass it is fairly easy for someone to look online for property records to see who owns the house. (I've done it myself to verify when an applicant tells me they just sold their house, or that they owned a house in the past.)

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y

    We batch showings to eliminate having to constantly send someone to show. Typically space them 10-15 minutes apart, and if we can have something for the "show-er" to do while they're there all the better - take care of a minor issue, trim a shrub, etc. Works great and pretty typical that we have 3-10 qualified applicants within the first couple of days to pick from. No-shows are approximately 50% of all appointments, though that number has been dropping over the last two years as housing has become tighter around here. We try to have 2 showing times during the week and one on the weekend, and if you can't figure out how to make one of those you must not seriously need a place to live.

    As for platforms, we started using Marketplace the last two vacancies but the biggest bunch of deadbeats and no-shows came from there. Both our successful applicants came from Zillow. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    @Pamela W. Yes I am the owner .  I just tell them I represent the owner so I can blow off the sob stories easier .  i try to avoid answering too many questions  in print .  Some are trying to trap me into a discrimination question .  I just tell them I have a list of qualifications at the showing . And the qualifications are the standard ones that landlords and apartment complexes use . 

  • Property Manager · Raleigh/Durham NC · Member since 2015 · 210 posts · 293 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Paul

    Marketing: While I've heard others state it can be area-specific, I get 85%+ of my qualified leads from Zillow. I still post on Appfolio that syndicates out to dozens of other sites. Zillow makes it easy to keep track of inquiries and I find it easy to re-message inquiries that showed interest the morning of the showing. I still get some confirmed showings flake.

    Showings: I treat this like any other sales funnel. I want as many qualified people to tour the property as possible. I reply quickly & politely. I have days and time I plan to show it ready to go. You mention asking inquiries to get back to you on Sat to get the time and address for a Sunday showing. I would remove this extra obstacle. In addition to losing people that forget this step. Also, do you not already have the address in your listing? I may have misunderstood, but if you do not this may be a correctable issue. Like others on this thread I do a showing (or two) during the week and a showing Sat (and/or) Sun if necessary. I show my properties while still occupied typically and I chisel out an hour per showing and stack people accordingly. Either every 15 min or open house style. 

    During the showing, I stay out of the way so people can feel comfortable looking around and couples can chat candidly. When they are done touring I ask friendly questions like where are they from, what else have they seen, and maybe tell them how great some nearby restaurants are. We certainly discuss lease terms but my goal is to have them walk back to their car with a warm feeling and NOT feeling like they just left the principal's office.

    Credit Scores and Price: Credit scores can be property and area-specific. In my area (Raleigh/Durham) I use 650 for A-B properties. Having looked at hundreds of credit reports I think there are still some excellent qualified candidates between this 650 number and the 690 that you are using. Finally, price, If the property is sitting longer than you like it's time to adjust the price. Especially if you are using Zillow that shows DOM (days on market) if your property shows a high DOM it can become damaged goods.

    Good Luck

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    @Chris London  I get what you are saying . I dont put the address in the ad because believe it or not , we have had problems in the area with scams , people moving in an empty house saying they have a lease .   I raised my requirements due to covid and all the people getting evicted for gaming the system .   I am in no hurry to rent the place . 

  • Vacaville, CA · Member since 2019 · 218 posts · 140 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Paul

    We just recently went through this. I have never had so many under-qualified people inquiring on a property. Our rental requirements were clearly stated in our ad, but a lot of people don’t read it. We would get people saying they were going to come to a showing and they would sound so excited , and then they would be a no show. It is frustrating. Hang in there. The right people will come along.

  • Cliff H.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 587 posts · 477 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Paul I’ve been here countless times a and know your pain. The answer is either (a) automate your showings or (b) switch to open houses. Different advantages to each, but either one will save you countless hours, secure you better applicants/tenants, and allow you to focus more of your time on where it matters: which is not likely telling 9/10 applicants they don’t meet your minimum qualifications. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Cliff H.:

    @Matthew Paul I’ve been here countless times a and know your pain. The answer is either (a) automate your showings or (b) switch to open houses. Different advantages to each, but either one will save you countless hours, secure you better applicants/tenants, and allow you to focus more of your time on where it matters: which is not likely telling 9/10 applicants they don’t meet your minimum qualifications. 


     Its always fun , has open house today for 2 hours  went well have 2 possibilities out of 5 .  But there was one couple , with their infant , they take a look and the woman says " We need a landlord with a heart "  And starts going into all their problems .   I have to stop her and hand them the list of qualifications , and tell them theses are the minimum standards . And I do have a heart , BUT the rent and requirements are not negotiable . Then the tears start flowing , nobody cares , houses are unaffordable , all landlords are greedy , we are going to be homeless , etc . I tell them I am sorry for your situation , but I am not in the position to provide cheap housing .   They left .  And I noticed the bumper stickers on their car . 

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Matthew Paul

    I have found that nobody reads the complete listing. Do you specify your requirements in your listings? When they contact you, your first question should be “did you read the complete listing, do you meet or exceed my requirements?” 
    If these people are really interested and meet your requirements, with the way the market is, they’d come at 2am if you told them that’s all the time you had. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matt M.:

    @Matthew Paul

    I have found that nobody reads the complete listing. Do you specify your requirements in your listings? When they contact you, your first question should be “did you read the complete listing, do you meet or exceed my requirements?” 
    If these people are really interested and meet your requirements, with the way the market is, they’d come at 2am if you told them that’s all the time you had. 


     All in the listing , and I ask . They are looking for a sotfy I guess , thats not me 

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Matthew Paul welcome to the world of leasing units bro 😎

    It’s taken us years to develop our business systems to the point where this is not a MAJOR time suck. Now we rent units in 1-4 showings, they are all grouped, and all scheduling is automated. Any info they need on them rental is on our site as well as our application.

    You have three options:

    1. Keep spending a lot of time renting units

    2. Spend a lot of time developing business systems to make it so you don’t spend a lot of time renting units in the future

    3. Hire a PM

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Vacaville, CA · Member since 2019 · 218 posts · 140 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matt M.:

    @Matthew Paul

    I have found that nobody reads the complete listing. Do you specify your requirements in your listings? When they contact you, your first question should be “did you read the complete listing, do you meet or exceed my requirements?” 
    If these people are really interested and meet your requirements, with the way the market is, they’d come at 2am if you told them that’s all the time you had. 


  • Vacaville, CA · Member since 2019 · 218 posts · 140 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Paul

    You’re right- they are looking for a softy. They believe if you are the owner that you will be a softy. I can see it in their eyes when they ask. I just stand firm with my requirements.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matthew Paul:

     And.......?

  • Vacaville, CA · Member since 2019 · 218 posts · 140 votes
    4y

    @Matt M.

    I have learned this too. Ask them if they meet the requirements before booking a showing. It weeds a lot of people out that aren’t qualified.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Matthew Paul:

     And.......?


     We arent suppose to get political , so I LEFT it there 

  • South Holland, IL · Member since 2017 · 374 posts · 432 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Paul

    The vetting process for me in the C, C- space has always been CRAZY. I get 300 to 400 inquiries per listing between Zillow and Facebook marketplace. Zillow has the better quality. 90 percent of applicants DONT read the listing. They apparently just look at the pictures and the price (bad sign). I reward the 10% with clearer follow up communications. If you refuse to read the requirements, what type of tenant will you be? Of the remaining 30/40 inquiries only about 10 actually answer the pre-vet questions thoroughly. Of that 10 only 5 actually keep their viewing appointment (I schedule at least 3 on the same time slot), I require all applicant to send me a confirmation text 1 hour before our viewing. Of the 5, 2 leave as if the unit is beneath them. Of the final 3, 1 will have misled us about their income. Finally out of 400 applicants we end up with 2 viable tenants after ALL of those inquiries from people who were either never really interested or wholly unqualified to rent the unit.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    People do not read listing ads. Sad, isn't it? Our first step is to provide a "tenant profile" which lists all of our criteria. After receiving this, we don't hear back from about 95%. Of those we do hear from, I'll let them know when they can see the property. We always start to advertise it before we're completely done with the rehab because I will not drive 30 minutes to meet someone that may or may not show. If I'm already there trimming bushes or painting trim then I don't care whether they come by or not. It's not uncommon for us to receive 200 inquiries on a property. We only accept applications from those that have seen the property. You live out of town? sorry, ain't happening...

  • Vacaville, CA · Member since 2019 · 218 posts · 140 votes
    4y

    @Pamela W.

    We have heard a lot of sad stories. We also get applicants that come in looking flashy (expensive purses and shoes, wearing a lot or jewelry, driving an expensive car), and oftentimes they are seriously unqualified. I am amazed how many unqualified people there are. It’s as if they don’t realize their credit will be run, and job and tenant history verifications will be made.

  • Member since 2021 · 388 posts · 277 votes
    4y

    nobody makes it to my properties unless they answer pre-screening questions. I set up a time/date that is accommodating to me first of all. when they do show up it is like a job interview and do it in batch showing style set 30  minutes apart. I evaluate their character and behaviors which are extremely important components into the whole equation.  If they appear interested I tell them about my security deposit, guest rules, expectations. I am not interested to fit just any warm bodies into my places. My most recent best leads turned tenants came from Realtor.com.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 48 posts · 50 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Paul what was the sticker?

  • Investor · Crown Point, IN · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 84 votes
    4y

    I used to do the same, but prior to just turning everything over to management I used to do this:

    I'd post a phone number and detailed info about the apartment, along with a set showing time (ex sat between 1-2:30pm), all of my tenant requirements, my screening fee, and pictures of the apartment. 

    the phone number I'd use was a google voice number where I had a message, basically stating everything I had in the online add, I didn't check messages on this because most messages where usually just asking what was already stated on the site and message, or asking for specific showing times. 

    the day of the showing, I'd show up with a folder full of applications, and take applications of those who showed up. Typically I could find a qualified tenant after 1 or 2 rounds of showings. 

    I'd make no concessions on application fee's, that was what seemed to weed out the unqualified people who just wanted to waste your time, or those who really weren't interested, but would still fill out an application. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Lake Hallie, WI · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 144 votes
    4y

    I make all the showings at the same time then the 50% no shows don't waste my time. If the add says no pets and they ask if they can then the message gets deleted.

  • Member since 2021 · 109 posts · 130 votes
    4y

    Text them and see if they respond. If they do then phone interviews where you go over every requirement, tell them about the background check, that you will verify income, aggresive breed dog rules, and stress the expectations of cleanliness you expect. This weeds out a lot of people. Do the showings 15 minutes apart. Even after all this I still get people that come see a place and go through the application process with bad credit and 90 day late car payments. Also have people after seeing the place and before the application say "I want the place but need to let you know I have [fallen on bad luck/ESA pitbull]". You just stand firm on the requirements equally for everyone. Once even had a conman with a local news segment try and give me 6 months cash up front thinking I would be so thrilled we could skip the background check. (His name was painted on his work van and the internet exists so we didn't get to the background check).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.