Everybody has a Pitbull 🤷‍♂️

Everybody has a Pitbull 🤷‍♂️

Rental Property Investor · Gothenburg, NE · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 111 votes

It’s crazy to me how many potential tenants have aggressive breed dogs. I would estimate that a good 25% of the people that contact me any given month about a property have a Pitbull or multiple. They are shocked when I tell them that I cannot allow them in my units. It’s crazy to me that a large percentage of the population choosing to rent would have such a liability that would limit their choices on housing. Yet I know very few people who own their own homes that have aggressive breed dogs when they don’t have the limitations holding them back. I have noticed the same about smokers as well.

8Reply
291 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 137 posts · 115 votes
4y
5 Commons Myths That Fuel Wrongful Stigmas Against Pit Bulls

https://www.onegreenplanet.org...

See this reply in the discussion

80 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Greg H.:
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Jerrad Shepherd:

    It’s crazy to me how many potential tenants have aggressive breed dogs. I would estimate that a good 25% of the people that contact me any given month about a property have a Pitbull or multiple. They are shocked when I tell them that I cannot allow them in my units. It’s crazy to me that a large percentage of the population choosing to rent would have such a liability that would limit their choices on housing. Yet I know very few people who own their own homes that have aggressive breed dogs when they don’t have the limitations holding them back. I have noticed the same about smokers as well.


     I rent to tenants with pitbulls, actually right now more than half of my tenants have pitbulls, I heavily screen the tenants and in my experience usually the dogs match the owners... the dogs I have in my rentals right now are super chill friendly dogs

    Does your insurance cover Pit Bulls from a liability standpoint?  

     Yes, no restrictions against any breed from my insurance


     I missed that you are in Canada.  It is a rarity in the States that a Pitbull would be covered for a LL.  I am a dog lover and think 99% of pitbulls are fine but I would not be willing to risk my livelihood to allow one

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Greg H.:

     Yep. This is a business and you have to do the math.......

  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Greg H.:
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Greg H.:
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Jerrad Shepherd:

    It’s crazy to me how many potential tenants have aggressive breed dogs. I would estimate that a good 25% of the people that contact me any given month about a property have a Pitbull or multiple. They are shocked when I tell them that I cannot allow them in my units. It’s crazy to me that a large percentage of the population choosing to rent would have such a liability that would limit their choices on housing. Yet I know very few people who own their own homes that have aggressive breed dogs when they don’t have the limitations holding them back. I have noticed the same about smokers as well.


     I rent to tenants with pitbulls, actually right now more than half of my tenants have pitbulls, I heavily screen the tenants and in my experience usually the dogs match the owners... the dogs I have in my rentals right now are super chill friendly dogs

    Does your insurance cover Pit Bulls from a liability standpoint?  

     Yes, no restrictions against any breed from my insurance


     I missed that you are in Canada.  It is a rarity in the States that a Pitbull would be covered for a LL.  I am a dog lover and think 99% of pitbulls are fine but I would not be willing to risk my livelihood to allow one


     Yeah I'm not too familiar with the situation in the USA but I have not so far had any home insurance have restrictions on dogs or any pets really other than some that don't insure aquariums

  • Rental Property Investor · Cockeysville, MD · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 16 votes
    4y

    @Jay Hinrichs i concur! I grew up in Baltimore and witnessed firsthand what you're talking about. Its unfortunate in so many ways how certain segments of society make things hard for everyone. Pitbulls can be the most sweet, loyal and obedient family additions!!

    That said, we only allow breeds 30lbs or less at a premium. No bias toward larger breeds, rather irresponsible adults are the problem.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.