Service Dog inquiry for house with no pet policy

Service Dog inquiry for house with no pet policy

Investor · Curtis, NE · Member since 2019 · 231 posts · 140 votes

Hey All,

I looked through the forums but saw no clear guidance.

Here is the situation.

We own a house where my son lives while going to school that is just off campus adjacent to ASU in Tempe AZ.

Today we posted an ad on Hotpads advertising one of the rooms for rent. The ad clearly states no pets. I got the following inquiry:

I have a small Service Dog named Munchkin. Please call, text, or email me at your convenience. Im very interested. Thank you!

There was some additional personal contact info that I have omitted, but the pertinent information is above.

I am not sure on how, or even if, I should respond. I do NOT want a dog in the house with my son and two other students who are currently renting rooms. The disruptions etc a dog could cause are many. But I want to be fair and follow the law.

Any guidance or references anyone can share on what my obligations are in renting a single room in a house?

Thanks,
Bob

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    4y

    This is part of the reason I use a PM. I have zero clue how close you are to violating fair housing laws and facing huge fines. I know people have been fined even when the person who contacted them was just testing them and not really looking for a place to stay. 

    It sure seems like a test. Could not responding be considered discrimination? Maybe. You’re probably going to need a lawyer or a PM unless you have a strong reason to turn down this applicant. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 784 votes
    4y

    If they qualify otherwise, they get to move in. If the pet / service animal becomes an issue, you have leverage and can request compliance (damages, barking, not picking up after the pet, etc). If the pet / service animal does not create issues they stay (and no another roommate saying I don’t like this pet doesn’t constitute an “issue”). Not responding is certainly not an option… generally speaking and more so now that this is posted on a public forum

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.