choosing a tenant and informing unlucky parties

choosing a tenant and informing unlucky parties

Encinitas, CA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on the best way to inform the unlucky party they were not chosen.  In this case, there are two lovely families and I feel bad one will not get selected.  One family has a higher income and less risk, while the other has young children.

Both qualified financially and seemed to really like the property.  Any advice on how to break the news?
0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y

This is the e-mail we send.   Short and sweet.

Hi there. We received your rental application for a property but received multiple applications and accepted another applicant. This person has 48 hours to bring their deposit. If they don't, we will move to process the backup applications in line.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    This is the e-mail we send.   Short and sweet.

    Hi there. We received your rental application for a property but received multiple applications and accepted another applicant. This person has 48 hours to bring their deposit. If they don't, we will move to process the backup applications in line.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    I never used to contact the others who 'lost out'. Too much time and effort. You can tell them when they apply that this is your policy....

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I never used to contact the others who 'lost out'. Too much time and effort. You can tell them when they apply that this is your policy....


     This - we don't inform them of anything, we just rent the unit to the best applicant 

    Sometimes we have many many applicants - there's no benefit to me to write a letter to each one. This is not an emotional thing

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    First of all, you should process applications one at a time, in the order received. If the first one does not meet your requirements, deny them, with an appropriate denial letter/email, then process the next one. You must follow the Fair Housing Laws, and by picking and choosing among multiple applications, looking at "higher income" and "young children" as key factors, you are at high risk for a Fair Housing violation. HUD does still have testers checking some areas. You need to be consistent in how you respond to prospects, and in how you make your approval decisions. And you need to document it for a future complaint to prove you HAVE been consistent over time. Your selection criteria should be in the form of a written policy.

    There was a post on BP a few months ago about a mom and pop Landlord that was fined over $40,000 for a first violation.
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    If they didn't hear back they didn't get accepted, simple as that 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Before letting a prospective tenant down make sure the one that you are selecting is ready for the deposit and able to sign the lease.  It has happened before where a tenant told me they were good to go and when I told them they were selected all of a sudden they needed to wait until the following weeks' payday for the deposit, next.  Usually I will do showings over a weekend and if it is a good weekend I get several interested applicants and select the most qualified.  Once I set a time for them to meet for the deposit I feel I owe it to the tenants who applied to send a quick text thanking them for their interest but I have gone with another applicant, if anything changes I'll let them know.  I don't feel right leaving them wondering and feel it is the least I can do after they paid 47/adult for the application.  I don't say why but if they ask I say they were just more qualified and leave it at that.  Occasionally I'll have someone who gets upset but I just ignore them from that point.  If on the other hand they lied and their background check is nothing like we discussed I just ghost them for wasting my time, they know why they weren't selected.  

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Richard F.:
    you are at high risk for a Fair Housing violation. HUD does still have testers checking some areas.

    HUD needs to keep it's nose out of the Housing business.....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.