Questions about screening traveling nurses/contractors/professionals/digital nomads

Questions about screening traveling nurses/contractors/professionals/digital nomads

Rental Property Investor · Denver CO · Member since 2022 · 43 posts · 19 votes

Hello,

I was wondering if its necessary to screen a traveling nurse for MTR strategy? Since they are professionals, I am not sure if background check, cc is necessary to do on them but want to get peoples opinions. If it is recommended, would a service that BP partners with will suffice, RentPrep?

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Aloha,

Actually, NOT screening them could be grounds for a Fair Housing complaint. Treat everyone the same.
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2022 · 198 posts · 161 votes
    3y

    You should always screen your tenants in some way shape or form. No lie - I personally know a doctor who has had at least one car repossessed. I'm sure RentPrep would suffice.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    Actually, NOT screening them could be grounds for a Fair Housing complaint. Treat everyone the same.
  • Temple, TX · Member since 2018 · 307 posts · 215 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Roman Puzey:

    Hello,

    I was wondering if its necessary to screen a traveling nurse for MTR strategy? Since they are professionals, I am not sure if background check, cc is necessary to do on them but want to get peoples opinions. If it is recommended, would a service that BP partners with will suffice, RentPrep?

    From a travel nurse perspective: I have never been requested to do a background check for housing during my travel assignments  (although I have only rented from Furnished Finder (FF) once, and usually just go the AirBNB route). As a nurse, it would irritate me to have to do that after all the paperwork, onboarding, and other things we do to take an assignment. Would rather have it a no-hassle AirBNB type route. 

    From a LL perspective: If I am allowing someone to stay in my home and am signing a lease with them, then I would absolutely want to get a at least a background check with them, get their contract agreement, and maybe even get their recruiters email to verify their employment. Depending on your state and your comfort level, I might consider doing a Month-To-Month lease with them instead of the 3-6mo
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 23 votes
    3y

    I think it depends on the duration of the rental lease or method of renting (posting rental on forums vs. AirBnB). Personally, by not screening any tenant, you are opening yourself up to possible issues down the road. Best practice is to screen all tenants if posting as a standard rental on forums, websites (i.e Zillow, Redfin, MLS, etc). AirBnB is different from what I understand where they usually collect the money for the duration specified by "tenant" up front of right before the stay and if anything were to happen after the fact, AirBnB assists their clients with damages, replacements, maintenance (god forbid) or any other significant damages.

  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    As a travel nurse and landlord I would always screen a tenant. You want to know what kind of debt and credit your tenant has. Travel nurse contracts can get cancelled and then you lose that tenant you thought you had for 3 months. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.