Screening a tenant

Screening a tenant

New to Real Estate · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 14 votes

Hi,

I'm new to house-hacking and being a landlord. I currently have a 5bed 4bath home here in North, Austin. A gentleman found me through a local facebook group I posted in. I've met with this individual, ran his background check, called a reference, and completed a credit check. 

This individual is looking to get ahead and has made some silly mistakes in his teens that came back on his background check. DUI, possession of marijuana, etc... It's been 10+ years since any record. His credit is also sub 600. Not ideal.

He's toured the home and has gone through a brief discovery call/introduction with myself to ensure there's a mutual fit. 

He's willing to front 2 months of rent and a security deposit to make up for the sub 600 credit score ($2k+), lack of pay stubs (transitioning from job to job), and poor credit. 

My gut and heart tells me to give this guy some leeway and help him out as long as he pays. After month 2, what if he does not have the funds to pay? How do I proceed? What would you do as a landlord?

1Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Prince George's County, MD · Member since 2022 · 177 posts · 187 votes
3y

Background isn't ideal.  Credit isn't ideal.  Lacking paystubs.  Transitions from job to job.  Yet, willing to pay 2-months rent + security deposit?  Hmmm... interesting.  Does he have a rental history?

My gut would say no to this one.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Austin Berlick  Does he meet your income requirements? You don't know.  Is he the only occupant? This guy has a new job. If it is just him the house is likely out of proportion to his needs so you might get extra tenants.  I would not do it.  The old charges I could overlook but I require verifiable income.  I also look at late payments and judgements not absolute score so the reason for sub 600 for me would be relevant, I will take people with low scores due to lack of history but this doesn't sound like the case.  

    If he doesn't pay you are in eviction court. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Prince George's County, MD · Member since 2022 · 177 posts · 187 votes
    3y

    Background isn't ideal.  Credit isn't ideal.  Lacking paystubs.  Transitions from job to job.  Yet, willing to pay 2-months rent + security deposit?  Hmmm... interesting.  Does he have a rental history?

    My gut would say no to this one.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Austin Berlick:

     I've met with this individual, ran his background check, called a reference, and completed a credit check. 

    This individual is looking to get ahead and has made some silly mistakes in his teens that came back on his background check. DUI, possession of marijuana, etc... It's been 10+ years since any record. His credit is also sub 600. Not ideal.

    He's toured the home and has gone through a brief discovery call/introduction with myself to ensure there's a mutual fit. 

    He's willing to front 2 months of rent and a security deposit to make up for the sub 600 credit score ($2k+), lack of pay stubs (transitioning from job to job), and poor credit. 

    My gut and heart tells me to give this guy some leeway and help him out as long as he pays. After month 2, what if he does not have the funds to pay? How do I proceed? What would you do as a landlord?

    Aloha,

    Lots to unpack here...

    Teen indiscretions, boys being boys, yada yada...bad habits #1.

    Background and credit checks, did the reports show numerous prior addresses? Housing instability, another bad habit, #2

    Credit sub 600. FAR less than ideal; due to bad habits,#3...see the chart below for your odds of a missed rental payment over the next 24 months.

    "mutual fit"...the worst tenants are often the smoothest talkers. That is their skill.

    "willing to front 2 months", AKA he is willing to pay to make you feel good...today.

    "lack of paystubs", AKA job instability...more bad habits, #4. 10 years ostensibly "clean" with nothing to show? Have you asked for bank statements showing significant savings, or an IRA, or has it been ten years living paycheck to paycheck?

    "my gut and heart"...sorry, first decide if you plan to run a charity, or a business, then act accordingly, and plan accordingly.  You must be Fair, Firm, and above all, consistent with all of your systems and processes. Establish a more clear criteria for determining approval/denial and stick with it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Laguna Niguel, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @Austin - I did the same thing last year. I was overrun with applications but he came to me desperate and my first time managing I felt bad. Worst mistake I made. Bad credit, marks on minor criminal activity. He did pay on time, but asked for reduction in rent because the heat was too expensive. He called me every month (mostly caused by something by him), and was rude to all the plumbers and handymen I sent out. Man-splained me on the proper way to be a landlord. Funny since I responded immediately and fixed everything - except the boot hanging on a telephone pole on the street. :) 

    I understand his youth mistakes...but if you have a choice I would seek otherwise. 

  • New to Real Estate · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    Thank you @Jami Vincent. Noted! 

  • Realtor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    @Austin Berlick

    I would say this one is a no go for me. Im sure there will be other tenant options available. Wait for one that is not such a high risk as this one.

  • Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    That credit score is a dealbreaker for me. Unless this property is in an undesirable neighborhood and you can't get anyone better than this, pass.

  • Real Estate Broker · Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    I try to work with people the best I can when it comes to rental properties. If he had one issue like credit I could see maybe working with him. But it seems like this guy has quite a few red flags. The no pay stubs makes me worry about him later on in the lease not being able to pay. I would pass on this guy and see what other potential tenants you can find. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.