Should I lease to a tenant with Housing voucher

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    I never did because I have always been in solid A&B neighborhoods where it wasn’t necessary but I knew a guy who had many Section 8 properties with minimal issues largely based on a thorough vetting process. I suspect this isn’t practical now but he used to personally take application to their residence to get an idea of how they cared for their home. If you consider this make sure you know the laws it may entail especially regarding eviction, rent increases or declining renewal. 

  • Benjamin AakerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brandon, SD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    This is an area in which you need to be careful. You should develop a policy for whom you will reject and follow fair housing laws. You should not discriminate simply on the basis of having a housing voucher. You should be looking at credit, rental history, etc. Make a policy and stick to it.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11mo

    I'm not familiar with housing vouchers, but if it doesn't require you to do anything to the home (eg section 8 you have to have it inspected), I wouldn't see it as a problem. I'd talk to someone familiar with it as denying them may be a form of discrimination.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11mo
    I’ve worked with section 8 for 19 years with no issue. The additional inspection is modest and I never mind another set of eyes on potential liability and problems. I have 10 doors and average three or four at a time with vouchers.
  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 531 posts · 203 votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Mohammad Murad:

    Should I lease my unit to a tenant who depends on housing vouchers in Lincoln Nebraska?

     Hi @Mohammad Murad,

    Whether or not to lease to a tenant with a housing voucher depends on your goals, local laws, and how comfortable you are working within the program’s structure.

    In many places, including parts of Nebraska, there may be protections in place that prevent landlords from refusing a tenant solely because they use a voucher. So it’s important to make sure your screening process is compliant with fair housing laws and is based on objective criteria like income (including voucher amount), rental history, credit, and references.

    There are pros and cons to working with voucher tenants:

    Pros:

    A portion of the rent is guaranteed by the housing authority, which can help with consistent cash flow.

    Many tenants stay long-term, which can reduce turnover.

    Considerations:

    The unit will need to pass an inspection, and you may need to wait for approval before move-in.

    Rent increases, lease changes, and eviction processes often involve additional steps and coordination with the housing agency.

    As others have mentioned, having a consistent screening process is key. If the tenant meets your criteria and you’re comfortable with the program requirements, there’s no reason not to consider it.

    Hope this helps as you make your decision.

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    10mo

    I have never accepted section 8 housing for the primary reason is I do not partner with someone who would be happy to see me fail, ie, the federal govt. The government is not friends of landlords and does not care if I succeed or fail. Also, I do not want the government telling me how to manage my properties. But, you may need to look into this depending on the property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.