Creative ideas on how to market vacant land

Creative ideas on how to market vacant land

Member since 2022 · 115 posts · 49 votes

I'm not exactly sure if I am posting in the right forum but I'll ask anyway.  I stumbled into a 1.25 acre vacant land in an up and coming city.  I cannot build on the land as per zoning (which I am verifying tomorrow).  Two potential ideas: (1) keep as hidden storage area for RVs or (2) Airbnb as campsite.  The problem I have is that I can't offer water or electricity on the property.  Is this even a viable idea?  The property is listed as $19,900 but has been in the market forever so I'd offer $14,900.  This said, I see an investment opportunity even if I rented the RV storage for $100-150 per month or a nightly campsite at $30-50.  Note that the vacant lot is in a residential area so it'll be more like giving someone rights to park on my land versus 'storing' it.  Thoughts?

Oh - location is in Florida.

0Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Zeona McIntyrePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boulder, CO · Member since 2015 · 284 posts · 226 votes
    4y

    If you can't build on the land, it may not be a great investment in the long run, but who knows. If you want to check out what it could rent for, you could see what others are offering on HipCamp. 

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 108 posts · 83 votes
    4y

    This sounds like a bad idea. Most municipalities have laws or ordinances about Boat/RV parking and camping. It's especially troubling that this is in a residential area. Typically, the only play in non-buildable residential lots is to either pursue an entitlement to make them buildable or sell them to an adjacent neighbor. 

  • Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mariel DeVito:

    I'm not exactly sure if I am posting in the right forum but I'll ask anyway.  I stumbled into a 1.25 acre vacant land in an up and coming city.  I cannot build on the land as per zoning (which I am verifying tomorrow).  Two potential ideas: (1) keep as hidden storage area for RVs or (2) Airbnb as campsite.  The problem I have is that I can't offer water or electricity on the property.  Is this even a viable idea?  The property is listed as $19,900 but has been in the market forever so I'd offer $14,900.  This said, I see an investment opportunity even if I rented the RV storage for $100-150 per month or a nightly campsite at $30-50.  Note that the vacant lot is in a residential area so it'll be more like giving someone rights to park on my land versus 'storing' it.  Thoughts?

    Oh - location is in Florida.


     I assume you are going to call the county Planning/Zoning dept for your answers, not going throug the listing realtor for answers?

    You posted this three days ago...  what did you find out?

    If you can not build on it, what is the exact reason that the county gave you as to WHY?

    The answer to these questions determines a great deal towards what the property may (or may not) be worth.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.