How to Deal With Zillow's Tenant Response Format?

How to Deal With Zillow's Tenant Response Format?

Real Estate Investor · Steamboat, CO · Member since 2010 · 295 posts · 34 votes

I'm getting many responses on a property in Denver but the format for the tenant responses on Zillow seems weak. Potential renters simply check a box that says "I'm interested in viewing your property and am available at the following times..."

Not my first circus here, and I want to speak with the real human behind the inquiry before taking the time to schedule and meet with a potential tenant and just see what shows up and if they show up. I"d like to ask what date they are seeking occupancy for, how many persons, vehicles, etc before spinning my own wheels. 

I then call their number listed by Zillow and leave a VM offering to answer questions on the property and ask them to give me a call back concerning the property and typically don't get a response. It seems people want to hide behind the keyboard anonymously without human contact in a business that is still person-to-person. 

I consider posting in the ad something to the effect of "stand out from the crowd and call the lowly landlord for further info or to schedule a viewing - landlord is only responding to phone calls. I do ask for interested tenants to give me a call, in the ad, currently. 

How can I do this better? I'd sure like to duck behind my keyboard each time there is a maintenance issue for example, but it doesn't work that way! Opening my doors to unknown people I've never even spoken to doesn't seem very wise. 

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Burt L.:

Put instructions at the very beginning of the advertisement. If they can't follow basic instructions, ignore them.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Burt L.:

    Put instructions at the very beginning of the advertisement. If they can't follow basic instructions, ignore them.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Why not have an open house for the renters? Say 12-2 on Saturday? That way you are in control. 

  • Property Manager · Nova Scotia · Member since 2021 · 78 posts · 52 votes
    3y

    Is there not a way to message the inquiring party back? I may be thinking of a different inquiry form, but usually, we reply with a link to our pre-application or booking page.

    As @Nathan Gesner mentioned, we also include clear instructions about how we'd like inquiries to be sent to us. We often don't use it as a disqualifier, but we often do fast-track anyone who reaches out to us in the manner requested.

    Not sure if you've used it, but the Facebook marketplace has a similar system that "simplifies" inquiring (you just click the "is this available" button). Again, we don't disqualify these folks (some of them have turned out to be great tenants) but we DO process those leads in a manner that is going to be low impact on our time (aka: "boilerplate (informative) response in return").

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.