House not rented for 100+ days

House not rented for 100+ days

New to Real Estate · Member since 2024 · 48 posts · 28 votes

Experts/ Landlords, please let me know your thoughts.

First investment property and new to real estate as well. Long term goal is Property  Appreciation.

Brand new single family home with 3000sqft (+ additional 1200sqft unfinished basement) on a 0.25 acre lot. Closed at End of Sep2024 and listed on Zillow and other sites via Turbo Tenant.Compared the comps via Rentometer ,also offered 1000$ off for first month rent .

I hear winter is a tough time , should I take down the rental listings from Zillow and other sites and relist when it's Spring? Wht Wil happen when I relist ,will it start from zero?Please advise. ,

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Kyle MccawBusiness Member
Property Manager · Keller, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Pavan K.:
Quote from @Kyle Mccaw:

@Pavan K.

Winter is indeed tougher for rentals, but taking your listing down isn’t the solution. Instead, focus on improving your marketing and responsiveness. How many inquiries have you received? Respond within minutes to each one, as tenants often go with the first responsive option.

Ensure you have high-quality photos that make your property stand out against the competition. Compare similar listings—are they renting while yours sits vacant? If so, consider adjusting your rent or offering incentives like flexible lease terms. You also need to accommodate tenant schedules for showings.

Relisting later might reset your listing's visibility, but delaying could cost you more in lost income. Optimize now to fill the vacancy quickly.

Thank you Kyle. I made sure I followed everything you mentioned. There hasn't been much traction . I'm told the screening criteria credit score is on the higher end .But most of the listings I see are also on the same league. I do have a prescreener and it's hardly ever answered. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Credit scores can be misleading when screening tenants, as many lack the term loans (like mortgages) that drive high scores. Instead, focus on verified income and ensure applicants don’t owe previous landlords or have prior evictions. Lowering the credit score threshold slightly could widen your pool while still screening responsibly.

Also, ensure your pre-screener is clear and easy to access—unanswered inquiries suggest it may need adjustment. Consider automated systems or direct follow-ups to engage more applicants.

McCaw Property Management4.4905 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.