Renters Insurance for Housing Voucher Tenants?

Renters Insurance for Housing Voucher Tenants?

Nina DiehlPro Member
Baltimore, MD · Member since 2025 · 39 posts · 15 votes

Good evening, everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing a townhouse I plan to offer to housing voucher holders.  This is my first time doing this (investing/landlording/housing voucher- all of it).

I notice that many rental listings for housing voucher tenants do NOT require their tenant to purchase renter's insurance.  Some do.  I was under the assumption that requiring renter's insurance was a no-brainer.  Is there any compelling reason to not require your tenant to purchase this, particularly for housing voucher holders?

Interested in your opinions...

0Reply
34 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Moscow Idaho · Member since 2024 · 224 posts · 143 votes
    1y

    why are you offering vouchers?  I don't think there is a law against it.  Most people with vouchers are low-income.  I do it when I am trying to help a single mom but I am well aware that it generally turns out poorly.  In my area the voucher prices are about 25% lower than market.  

    • Nina DiehlPro Member
      OP
      Baltimore, MD · Member since 2025 · 39 posts · 15 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Matthew Becker:

      why are you offering vouchers?  I don't think there is a law against it.  Most people with vouchers are low-income.  I do it when I am trying to help a single mom but I am well aware that it generally turns out poorly.  In my area the voucher prices are about 25% lower than market.  

      I’m not offering a housing voucher. The local government would provide this. Section 8 is now called a housing voucher. 
    • Developer · Moscow Idaho · Member since 2024 · 224 posts · 143 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Nina Diehl:
      Quote from @Matthew Becker:

      why are you offering vouchers?  I don't think there is a law against it.  Most people with vouchers are low-income.  I do it when I am trying to help a single mom but I am well aware that it generally turns out poorly.  In my area the voucher prices are about 25% lower than market.  

      I’m not offering a housing voucher. The local government would provide this. Section 8 is now called a housing voucher. 

       It is the same thing basically but I understand what you are saying. Section 8 housing.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.